Topic: Babyface connection to live mixing console

Hello! smile

I want to use my laptop + babyface in a live gig. What is the best way to connect the Babyface to a live mixing console?
1) AN1&2 XLR outputs of Babyface directly to XLR mic inputs of the console, via standard mic cable?
2) PH3&4 unbalanced stereo TRS output of Babyface -> Y cable to 2 TS outputs -> 2 DI boxes -> XLR inputs of the console?
3) other?...

Furthermore, in case 1, if the engineer accidentally switches on Phantom power of the mixing console at the particular channels, will that destroy the Babyface?

Thanks! smile

Re: Babyface connection to live mixing console

Best way is to use balanced line inputs of mixing consoles, mostly those are balanced jack connectors.
So it is best to run the multicore via XLR and then, at the console side to use _balanced_ adapters to balanced jack connectors.

Some digital desks just have XLR connectors with multiple stage mic/line inputs. Those can be both, line and mic pres and it is the best to run into those consoles with XLR.

I would also be interested if there are condensators or something else that prevent XLR Inputs phantom power to blow the babyfaces output stages. A statement from RME would be helpful to know.

Thanks for the reply! smile

Line inputs! I had forgotten that mixing consoles have some of these! Usually, when I go to a gig, a DI box is presented to me, next to my chair, which always go in to an XLR mic input of the mixing console.

But the question to RME remains: if I connect the Babyface XLR outputs to the XLR inputs of a mixing console with +48V on, will that burn my Babyface?

Yes, don't do that. Apart from that the line outs of the BF would overload the sensitive mic inputs.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Yes, don't do that.

Hello MC,

thank you for your response.
Can you please clarify: Will the outputstage of the babyface be dead when phantom Power is applied? This is really important to know because there are some mixers that have "all-channel" phantom power. If there are no adapters to balanced jack and I know about the gain issues at least i could reduce the leven about 36 dB and this would work, even though it is not ideal.
For this case it is important to know if my babyfaces outputstage would be dead then.

Thank you for your help in advance,
Hermann

I have no clue if it will die immediately or only after 10 times plug/unplug (I did not test, and will not do). The BF has no special protection against such a case. Usually not much will happen, as the low impedance output stage shorts the high impedance  phantom power of the mixer to a few volts. I think the dangerous moment is when the power collapses, causing a spike in some way.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

The BF has no special protection against such a case.

Does this apply to just the BF or to other interfaces?

Just the BF.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hello again! smile

The way I have been connecting the Babyface to a console is the following:
Babyface headphone output -> Y cable -> 2 DI boxes (sometimes with pad -20dB activated) -> XLR input of console

This works OK and I experience no problems.

But now, I need to connect the other two channels too (I need to use all 4 outputs of the Babyface).

From gig to gig I am presented to various mixing consoles, having different capabilities, so I need to be prepared for everything, like the following cases:
1) Mixer has balanced TRS line ins: in this case I use a normal XLR cable going from the Babyface balanced outputs to the mixer and I use an adaptor XLR->TRS like this one, right? The drawback of this connection case would be that I can't lift the ground in case there is hum
2) Mixer has unbalanced TS line ins: this is the tricky case since [from the manual:] "the short circuit protected, low impedance outputs do not operate servo balanced! When connecting unbalanced equipment, make sure pin 3 of the XLR output is not connected. A connection to ground will cause a decreased THD (higher distortion) and increased power consumption!"
There are the following possibilities. Please help me choose the best one! smile
a) Babyface balanced out -> XLR cable -> XLRtoTRS adaptor . This is the connection of case 1. Would this work?
b) BF balanced out -> XLR cable -> XLRtoTS adaptor. Would this work? How can I know that the pin 3 of the XLR output is not connected?
Both cases have the drawback of the absence of a ground lift. So a connection through a DI would be the best scenario.
How do I connect the BF balanced out to the input of a DI, so that pin 3 of the XLR output is not connected?

Thank you for your help! smile