Topic: usb for hdsp

Hello,

my dsp multiface interface is still fine but there are hardly any notebooks with pcie card and it is also not convenient to install the PCI card in all computers at friends that i want to work on.

With today technology, i kindly request considering a "cardbus card" for Hammerfall/HDSP that can be plugged into USB (rev.3?).

looking forward to hearing from you

Dottore E.

Re: usb for hdsp

With today technology, i kindly request considering a "cardbus card" for Hammerfall/HDSP that can be plugged into USB (rev.3?).
looking forward to hearing from you

We already have great products that can be directly plugged into an USB port and don´t need a cardbus adapter to USB - a technology, that will never work like the real thing.

best regards
Knut

You are right!
I can always spend more money on more great stuff to make me happy even if I already have good stuff!

http://storyofstuff.org/electronics/

best regards
Dottore E

The "Story of Stuff" videos are indeed very good, highly recommended... All of them...

Nonetheless, there is such a thing as progress in electronics. CPUs are faster, hard drives are larger than they were ten years ago. Isn't it amazing that 3.5" drives now hold up to 3 TB, when not-so-very-long-ago, it was less than a hundred MB, if at all...

That aside, we want to offer products that work. Third-party adapters are unlikely to work (Cardbus-USB), and I doubt it is technically possible to transfer the functionality of the Cardbus onto a hypothetical USB device. And of course, products like your MF (which you've probably used for a good number of years) don't really fall into the category of "stuff" that the video talks about.

Please also consider that once in a while, companies will need to sell new products in order to survive - which includes the ability to provide continuous support for older products.

If you were to purchase a new product, the old system could turn into a great secondary or backup machine. It is surprising how often professional studios will grind to a halt due to the failure of a single component. A backup solution can save the day here.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Hello Daniel,

I aggree that a company wants to make new sales. But I told you that I would be willing to buy something: An USB Device for the Hammerfall.
I will certainly not buy a new audio interface when the old one still  is good.
Letting the customer decide for a new product includes the risk that the customer goes to a another company for this product (maybe by chance in e-bay or a promotional sale)
The argument of a backup solution is a nice try, because due to your format lock-in I can be assured that in a few years I will be no longer able to run my pcmcia card or the mini PCIe adapter.
Before I decided to buy the hammerfall (due to it's technical superiority for that price) a friend warned me not to buy a proprietary connector. Today I find out that he was exactly right.

Dottore E

Dottore Eli wrote:

I aggree that a company wants to make new sales. But I told you that I would be willing to buy something: An USB Device for the Hammerfall.

If such a product were possible, it may well be that it would be technically limited, i.e. unable to support Totalmix FX - which would put it well behind our current USB products like the UFX.

I will certainly not buy a new audio interface when the old one still  is good.

Good point. But then you might as well keep it within surroundings where it will work. You apparently plan to update your computer, even though the old one might still be good... I use a Toshiba Tecra 9000 with a Multiface for classical live recordings. This is a laptop with a 933 MHz P III... cool

The argument of a backup solution is a nice try,

Not at all - I was quite serious.

because due to your format lock-in I can be assured that in a few years I will be no longer able to run my pcmcia card or the mini PCIe adapter.
Before I decided to buy the hammerfall (due to it's technical superiority for that price) a friend warned me not to buy a proprietary connector. Today I find out that he was exactly right.

No, he was quite wrong. This is not a proprietary solution (and no "lock-in"). PCMCIA/Cardbus was/is an industry standard, just like PCI. Both are on the decline (and gone on Apple computers), but you can still find laptops with a Cardbus slot, and mainboards with PCI. BTW, there are even some modern mainboards with ISA slots (remember?)....

The fact that computer manufacturers have moved from Cardbus to Expresscard (and even have removed that on some cheaper laptops) is not something we have any influence on. The same affects any manufacturer of Cardbus (and PCI) cards. Oh, and remember AGP graphics cards? Not in the least proprietary, but absolutely dead and gone today, even cards that may have cost about as much as your Multiface can simply no longer be used on current mainboards today.

But the MF can. Give it a laptop with an Expresscard slot, get the HDSPe Expresscard, sell the Cardbus on ebay (or keep it), and continue working with the good old Multiface. As a matter of fact, there are four different interface cards/formats the MF can be used with: Cardbus, Expresscard, PCI, PCIe...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

7 (edited by vinark 2011-01-20 09:38:42)

I agree with Daniel,
If you really want to be less dependent on the platform or interface just sell the Hammerfall now and buy something USB, USB will probably be around for years to come. I would go for RME because they have the best drivers and support (others can really suck, from experience).
I think RME deserve praise for how long they support their older products with win7 and mac drivers.
I have a 1/2 cubic metre cardboard box with unusable computer stuff. And my guess is it gonna get worse. Not because of RME (the contrary) but because manufacturers like apple and intel want to keep selling new products with improved specs. It´s the nature of our consumer driven society. So we should first blame ourselves for not being content with what we have but always wanting the latest and greatest (without Cardbus;) )

And to put money where my mouth is, I just bought a spare motherboard with 3 PCI slots (P5Q) so I can stay with my HDSP9652, 2 UAD1 and Q9550 which is powerful enough for me for the coming years.

Peace
Vincent

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

vinark wrote:

It´s the nature of our consumer driven society. So we should first blame ourselves for not being content with what we have but always wanting the latest and greatest)

+1
make this truth printable in massive quantities and throw over cities worldwide ...

The 9652 is cool

HDSP9632, HDSP9652, ADI-8QS, FFUC, Quadmic II

Sharing the link to the "Story of Stuff" videos is a good start, and doesn't waste as much paper... cool

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I think we can argue if we have a consumer driven society or a revenue driven society ;-)
I had similar experiences with so many manufacturers in the last months that it becomes boring.

Why dont you once in a while think about a more modular design that can be refurbished when any new technology is out without replacing the entire Product.

With locked in I mean firewire, not pcmcia. Of course we know that the hammerfall uses some sort of firewire and it IS proprietary.

As art has become a competitive issue driven by price (free mp3) I can not afford to buy a secondary audio card at RME price (although I was interested in the baby face).
I WILL use the hammerfall as long as it works and I hope that you continue to deliver spare parts (thumbs up!!!!!).

If I buy a new computer, it serves my online business needs, my private business needs and my artist needs. I also would have liked to have my old laptop repaired but it is 8 years old and the people in support didnt even know the model.

It is 100% clear that as human beeings we need input and output but in nature that makes a perfect circle.

regards
Dott.e Eli

Dottore Eli wrote:

Why dont you once in a while think about a more modular design that can be refurbished when any new technology is out without replacing the entire Product.

While you are correct in principle, mind that the HDSP devices were designed at a time when we didn't really consider Firewire or particularly USB as potential options for audio hardware... So the thought did not actually occur at the time

Of course we know that the hammerfall uses some sort of firewire and it IS proprietary.

It isn't Firewire. It just happens to use a FW cable. In principle, it's just the connection between a PCI device and an external breakout box...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Hello,

I did not ask you to design the Hammerfall with USB, I asked you if there was a possibility to use the Hammerfall with USB today.
If it had only 2 channels, that would even be ok. One day you could use the Hamerfall from your i-phone watch out!

Ok, maybe you consider giving this to your product design department before you do not catch up with the latest trends ;-)

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2011/03 … bility.php

PS: I still love you, tell all your collegues *hug*

13 (edited by vinark 2011-03-14 20:36:08)

On the up side, one might expect a thunderbolt to cardbus adapter that might work at some point (No not from RME). Doesn´t help you though....

NICE!

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632