Topic: MBP, FF400, PT9 in need for stable expresscard...

Hi,

This may come as one of those, (use the search button) kinda posts, but i am in search of some products, that would run smoothly on my described system.
Most of people looking for expansion of the FW port are running Windows, i havent foun any newer posts from MAc users, using firewire expresscard for RME FF400 with success.

Can you reccomend me an exact product (an expresscard with fw400 or 800) that is bound to give excellent and stable results?
i had some very bd luck with esata, form unknown vendors... Worked well on windows, crashed the os x, constantly...

I read about TI chipset, but not the product in particular.

Thank you

Re: MBP, FF400, PT9 in need for stable expresscard...

What type of Macbook are you running exactly? Will the internal FW not work?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Model Name:    MacBook Pro
  Model Identifier:    MacBookPro4,1
  Processor Name:    Intel Core 2 Duo
  Processor Speed:    2.4 GHz
  Number Of Processors:    1
  Total Number Of Cores:    2
  L2 Cache:    3 MB
  Memory:    4 GB
  Bus Speed:    800 MHz
  Boot ROM Version:    MBP41.00C1.B03
  SMC Version (system):    1.27f3

With fireface400 on FW400 Port and G_Tech Exterenal harddrive on fw800.
Would like to keep it on separate bus, though.
Seemls like all the FW800 are pretty expensive. The one Apple reccomends are around 100EUR.
I was thinking about moving the FF400 to the exsress card slot an the HD to the internal MAc's
Would i loose any speed?
thanks

I fear that there is no such thing as Macbook 4.1 and stable ExpressCard (EC). The reason why your eSATA card kept crashing is a flaw of the Macbook's EC slot/chipset. FW fortunately is less affected than eSATA.

Your best bet would be to get a Lacie FW800 card because that one uses the very same revision 7 LSI/Agere chipset that the Macbook uses internally (=same driver, likely most actively being supported by OS X).

You still need to make sure you tell OS X to remove/turn off anything connected to the card before pulling it out and also make sure to turn off the card before pulling it out. Else you may sometimes find yourself in front of a kernel panic screen or a completely frozen Mac.

Also make sure that you do *not* connect any powered USB or Displayport device while transferring data via the EC. That means don't plug in anything that uses its own power-supply (like powered USB hubs, displays etc). This can lead to a short but complete disconnect of the EC, which may or may not lead to data-corruption, kernel panics, freezes and the heavens to fall upon our collective Apple heads.

ups...

thought it would be less complicated.
So LAcie FW800 and plug the FF400 and no USB plug/unpluging and i am good to go.

http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=11602

says here TI chipset? is that good or better?

You can plug/unplug USB devices as long as these don't use their own power-supply. Also plugging in the power-supply *after* you plugged in the device should work (as far I remember).

Usually TI chipsets are the said to be the best pick. But I had issues with C2D Macbooks in combination with a FW400 TI EC card. You really have to try yourself I fear.

Seems like Lacie changed the chipset since I tried their FW800 card.

i Was thinking..
Am i better of selling the FF400 and its FW path and go for the HDSP-e and MultifaceII?
the only thing i would miss is the mic preamp and ist in, but i woudl manage...

Would i gain anything, except the annoyance of finding the right FW express card?

I'd first try running the HD and FF on the same bus, it worked for years when Macbooks still had two FW ports, which internally were on one bus, too.

Else just buy the FW card, you can also try the Sonnet. When I had it here for testing it didn't properly sit in the EC slot though (had to keep it pressing in in order to make it work), but that likely was just the one card I had.

Could be I also mixed up my memories about the chip-sets. Maybe the Lacie had the TI and the Sonnet had the LSI/Agere. Both should work.

Since you wrote that eSATA worked on Windows I assume you are using XP. You will not be able to use the EC slot with Vista/7 on any Unibody Macbook earlier than 2010.

Nope. Never used windows7. MAc user for last 7 years.

Esata drivers and the card of unknown vendor crashed the osx repeatedly.

But seriously, would i benefit anything with RME's HDSPe Card and multifaceII?

Not much, no. Try running the Fireface and HD on one port and only if you experience issues try one of the FW cards. It's the less expensive road and leaves you with both the pre-amps and the instrument inputs.