Topic: Can't record audio

Can't get audio to record in cubase SX3 from the fireface.

Have several hardware synths and samplers connected to fireface, and fireface connected to PC via firewire. I've recorded midi passages in cubase, then set up audio tracks to record the output from the hardware synths via analog in 3/4 on fireface.

I've gone into VST connections in cubase to set up an input bus to come from FF analog 3/4, then armed that input on the audio track in cubase. I hit record, I hear the synth play, but no audio is recorded. I check in total mix and analog input 3/4 have audio in, but playback channel shows nothing.

I want to be able to set up each synth and sampler to record into cubase on its own dedicated audio track, would be very grateful for any help (have re-read manual and failed)

I have my monitors coming from the FF800 spdif out, SX3, winxp

Help appreciated.

2 (edited by kasaudio 2011-03-19 23:33:28)

Re: Can't record audio

Do you use asio driver with cubase sx3? If you do, you might try this.

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=10563

Do you see any input indicated with level meter bars on channels 3 and 4 while playing synths? If the answer is yes, then there is something wrong with the sx3 settings. If no, check total mix matrix setting.

Hope it helps, kasaudio

Thanks kasaudio,
I can see the input meters bouncing away happily on the input row of total mix, but nothing in cubase, and nothing in the playback strip of totalmix.

Will keep at it, and will check out your test program, thanks for the reply

There is no need to feed the channels you want to record to the playback strip at all.

Yeah, not to record in cubase, but my understanding (and i might have misunderstood the basic architecture of the FF800 here...) was that the FF routes all hardware inputs to the software mixer, then takes each output from the software mixer back to the playback strip for submixes / master output etc. I expected to see some sort of output signal from the software mixer showing up in the playback strip. in totalmix. I hear my master output from the monitors as i have a submix set up that sends the hardware inputs to the spdif out of the fireface. I'm now wondering if i'm accidentally routing the hardware inputs straight to the spdif out without giving it a chance to get to the software mixer.... not at my DAW just now, will double check, but am hoping I wouldn't be that daft.

Thanks again for the feedback.

It's not possible for your FF Mixer config to interfere with the incoming signal. Must be missing something in Cubase setup.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

I'm a ff800 windows xp Cubase SX3 user, as Jeff says, it sounds like something is wrong in the 'setup' (I am a guitarist, not a computer guy!).  I've occasionally had windows eliminate my cubase setup and go back to it's own asio stuff, where I hadn't done anything, and there's no sound - until I go and re-configure it. 
I suggest you go thru a 'setup' again both with cubase and fireface-

http://www.steinberg.net/en/support/dow … _sx_3.html

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/fface800_e.pdf   see page 29

Will try a fresh install of cubase and see if that makes any difference. Also have an MR816 connected to the FF800 via ADAT, and to the PC via firewire (but firewire connection is only to control mixer settings within the MR816, not to send any audio). I have the FF asio driver selected in cubase, so that shouldn't be interfering.

Cheers for the tips