Topic: Madiface install on a toshiba notebook running 7 pro 32

Hello,

I experience problems installing a madiface on my computer.

I have a Toshiba running under a seven pro 32, intelcore i5 CPu M560@2.67 Ghz
4 Go Ram

First, I can't run the flash update tool, The pcie fut.exe opens a pop up to ask me an authorization, wich I give and then... nothing happens !
It's the same for other programms (Hdsp mix, hdsp32,etc.)

How can I manage ?

Thanks

Re: Madiface install on a toshiba notebook running 7 pro 32

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=7348

The fut requires an installed driver.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

3 (edited by forya 2011-03-15 22:05:13)

Just had a look... there's no device "RME" shown in the device manager.
My computer freezes when I plug the madi face in the Pcie port.

Just found a programm called "RME Fireface version 3.0.34.0" in the programm list, that's all.

How can I install the specific driver if the madiface is not recognized  ?

Thanks

JP

Just had information about problems with Toshiba anf Hp computers. Those don't workout with your madiface at all !!!
that's what I've been told, do you agree ?
Do you have any solution ?

Hi,

This is a quote from Scott of ADK in response to my own laptop question. I don't think I'd consider any modern laptop without a 'return policy'...

Cheers,
arrangeit

jcschild wrote:

i can write 10 paragraphs about this but will try to keep it short and wont even bother with the chipsets thing.. as its pretty moot at this point. (the older cardbus on many better laptops the chipset used was TI, cheaper ones used others, things are a little different with Express but still have a bridge)

there are multiple issues with new laptops. they are designed for long battery life and pull every power saving trick in the book they can to get that long battery life
add to that the whole "green" nonsense..

add to that that windows itself is also guilty of the power saving nonsense.
part of the power saving is cutting voltages at every turn with windows even turning off usb ports not in use or that may have something plugged in but not in use.
the Express slot is oft times undervolted as well even when it has something active.

Cstates in the bios with all laptops/desktops they are all on by default these can and will cause issues for audio (DPC)
with desktops you can turn them off with most laptops you have no control

so 2 main issues lack of power/low power and c state.
all this turning on and off creates many issues.

added 3rd party chipset create even more with jmicron being one of the worst (and most commonly used)
Ricoh, o2r and others are not much better. (card reader, firewire if any, and other chipsets.)

then you have the manufacturer's expected end user use. most of them, particularly in the budget realm do not expect any laptop to used as a workstation but more as a get on the internet or do office work or oddly play movies or games.  far from a pro level audio device.
so the way they program the bios is lazy and sloppy.

you might get lucky and find a laptop that will actually work with an RME express card (rme has the best potential of anyone)
i have heard of a few people using name brand laptops with the Madiface.
not many, nor do i recall what models.

some things to try
disable ACPI battery, fingerprint thing if there is one
disable all wifi/lan (we had to physically remove the wifi card in 2 of our models as even disabling it didn't work)
ugly VGA mode for the video (last resort)
there is at least another 40 things... but without control over the bios or custom bios good luck with that...

Scott
ADK

Thanks for your answering, as the solutions are too complicated to deal with, I've chosen to change the computer !
My french RME dealer told me that he often experienced problems with HP & Toshiba computers. Mainly because of the components used to build the computer but also because of windows version pre installed with a wrong configuration, or not optimized for audio use, and no windows CD delivered wich means that you can hardly change a thing...
It seems that Asus offers a better compatibility, then I'll try the B53J and hope this time it's gonna work out !

Thanks for your help,

Best regards,

Jean Pierre

Asus definately wont work. they are one of the worst! kinda sad too as they used to work pretty good and had some of the best warranty support
i had even seen for laptops.

Scott
ADK

8 (edited by forya 2011-03-26 11:41:24)

oh f... , who can I believe now ?
Some say it's good, some say it's not !
Did you ever experience problems with this particular computer coming from their pro line B63J ?
I'd like the RME GMBH to give me the right information, I can't buy a different computer every week !!!
My boss asks me to make sure that I chose the right one this time !...

Thanks

9 (edited by Timur 2011-03-26 16:45:20)

How are they supposed to know every single laptop out there? wink

Get a Macbook Pro or from a vendor like ADK, these will work. Other than that it's hit & miss.

sorry but I won't buy a Mac, all may computers are PC !... this not a solution to me.
Thanks

You overlooked the little word "or". If you want a PC, get one from a specialized supplier of audio computers such as ADK.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

ok, thanks