Topic: Buying RME interface from Music123 but want advice from an RME expert

I have had mixed success with FW interfaces and my musicxpc 1511 laptop and wanted your advice on the interface most likely to work well with it.  My Echo Audiofire 4 works great using an Expresscard (TI chipset) with two firewire 400 ports.  Unfortunately, sound quality/range/separation are not as good as my old Presonbus Firebox which stopped working when I went to a dual-core laptop - so now buying RME for improved sound quality.

Even though my Echo works fine with ASIO (at 64 samples), I just went through a grueling 45 days with a new Saffire Pro 40 interface before returning.  Despite every optomization, I could not get a constant FW connection, even after repeated help from both Focusrite and musicxpc.  So I am a little scared of FW interfaces now and want to minimize the hassle of returning etc. again.  If Echo works, is it likely FF400 and/or FF800 will work?  Also, I have of course several USB 2.0 ports - is that a better likelihood of working vs. FW?  I could always use the Expresscard to connect my Glyph drive and use a USB port to connect a FF UC.  And Multiface II is a possiblity, but like option of pre-amps and and would like to leave Expresscard slot for connecting my Glyph FW drive.

I am using XP Pro (SP3) and laptop has Intel motherboard.  Have both SIIG and StarTech TI chipset Expresscards for FW400 that work with Echo just fine.

Any ideas on "most-likely-to-succeed" would be VERY much appreciated, and hoping my success with the Echo interface may give experts like you some (familiar with chips etc.) clue as to which RME interface I should buy.  Thanks!

Re: Buying RME interface from Music123 but want advice from an RME expert

dj.saint wrote:

which RME interface I should buy?

Based on your discussion the FireFace UFX will give you all the features you want and maximize your connection options.

The USB Recording option is now being tested on the UFX. You can find more about this elsewhere in the RME "USB Series" Forum USB at http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=10536

best regards,
Blair Francey
Fireface 802/ARC USB; HDSP Multiface x 2; 2023 AMD Windows 10 Custom PC

Thanks for your quick reply - reason I did not mention the UFX in my post is that it is significantly more expensive - but may still consider (seems like I have two connection options to try before returning) if RME does not have a probable match with the less expensive units.

there is also the Fireface UC and Babyface you will have much better luck with USB.

Thanks jcschild - problem that was never solved with Saffire Pro 40 was with shared and virtual IRQs etc.  Do those same problems happen with USB?  I am thinking my odds are better with USB because I have several options for ports.  Do not want to have to change BIOS or edit registry etc.  Almost lost my mind between that and sending .nfo files!

Any input from RME guys/moderator???  Really want your thoughts before I purchase...

jschild is a prominent DAW builder - you can take his word, too wink

Basically, (as with any big-dollar purchase) I'd make sure you can return the unit regardless of what PC you are using.  I'd wager between the PC being "Designed for pro-audio" and FW or USB options with RME's killer drivers - you should be alright.  But ALWAYS leave yourself an "out".

I don't think RME is going to say "Yes - We guarantee this will 100% work on YOUR laptop".  So try FW.  If that doesn't work - try USB.  If that doesn't work, return it wink

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

Thank you Randyman...  I ordered the Fireface 800 and verified that as long as I don't open any software or driver discs included I can return.  Will just be downloading the drivers from this site anyway.  Major Internet search seems to indicate driver problems with it are minimal versus other firewire interfaces (which include the DICE II chip), so hoping it will install fine.