Topic: Alpha Link Madi SX via RME Madi Hdsp routing

Hi,

i have problems routing my alpha link correctly. Rme madi is installed and i see all the madi's in cubase. I hear music over the SSL ALpha Link (I have connected a benchmark DAC1 for monitoring to my pmc's) with whatever routing i press on the Alpha front panel.

I would like to use the analog in via dsub into cubase (for synths and mics)
Then i have connected the Benchmark DAC1 via AES via Dsub

so whats the correct routing? Im really new to the outboard equipment story, so i really appreciate every help and every step by step advice smile

Thanks alot and sry for the noob questions

Aris

Re: Alpha Link Madi SX via RME Madi Hdsp routing

I believe the issue is that the AlphaLink defaults are configured to have the AES inputs populate MADI channels 1-24, then the Alphalink's ANALOG I/O will begin on MADI channels 25-48.  This is changeable in the Alphalink's clunky "setup menu" using the 24-LED's as a cryptic form of DOT-Matrix for all settings.  You will want Analog first (1-24), then AES (25-48) if I understand you correctly.  Reference the SSL's manual as I don't have the menu/setup specifics memorized...

Then MADI INPUTS 1-24 will be your Analog Inputs, and MADI Outputs 25+26 should feed AES Out #1 into your DAC-1.  Make sure you have your clocking setup correctly, too (I'd have the SSL as system master and slave the RME over BNC Wordclock).

I have the AlphaLink MADI AX version - that in combination with the RME MADI card is an immensely flexible fantastic sounding setup IMNSHO...

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

Re: Alpha Link Madi SX via RME Madi Hdsp routing

Hi Randyman,

thanks alot for your help. Well i realized that, the totalmix is great tho as you see where is the signal coming in. Everything works so far, i have some problems with the correct MAdi routing i think.

So i see the 64 madi channels in the totalmix, i see the 64 madi channels in Cubase. When i plug my synthesizer in, lets say @ the first Analog dsub input of the Alpha Link sx, then in total mix the signal shows @ input 1 and 2. When i change to lets say input 7 and 8 of the Dsub cable on the SSL, it still shows on total mix the signal on 1 and 2.

So, whats the best and correct setup to use, lets say, madi 1 and 2 as output. The External instruments should then be on madi 3 and 4 or can they be both @ madi 1 and 2?

I somehow dont get how to use all the 64 madi channels?!? I was thinking of using 1 and 2 as output. then from there on the others for instruments and mics. Or am i thinking not right?

hope you understand my questions

thanks alot

Aris