Topic: ADi-8 Pro outputs and Headphones.

Hello, will the ADI-8 pro have enought power for a pair of headphones with the following specs?

Dielectric strength:  500V AC
Resistance: 170 milliohms for returned path of 2.5m long cable; this includes the contact resistance of our mini XLR connector on LCD-2 housing
Capacitance: 250 pF, including mini XLR connector on LCD-2 housing
Response: -3dB @ 12.7 MHz
Inductance: 1.8 microH

P.S. This is for Audeze LCD-2

Re: ADi-8 Pro outputs and Headphones.

I don't think I'd ever want to use a Line Output (the ADI-8 Pro) to drive headphones.  But it should be able to get some form of sound from a pair of cans.  Just don't use very low impedance cans as I don't believe most Line Outs enjoy driving speaker range loads (8 Ohms - 50 Ohms or so).

A line level AD/DA device like the ADI-8 Pro is generally used to drive "Bridging Type" Balanced line inputs in the 5K-10K Ohm range with minuscule current requirements.  You would generally use the ADI-8 into a headphone amp (or a device with a headphone amp) to drive headphones.  The headphone amp would supply the needed current that lower impedance loads will demand...

PS- I believe the specs you listed are for the Headphone Cable - not for the actual drivers themselves wink ...

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

Re: ADi-8 Pro outputs and Headphones.

Just like to leave some feedback to anyone that finds this. They do require an amp. They work but you cant get a real high volume.