Topic: UFX repair takes too much time!!!!

Hi,

I bought a FF UFX at MUSIC STORE on October 2010.....in December I had issues that I've already described here in a topic that has mysteriously disappaered with my account.....

[img align=c]http://i521.photobucket.com/albums/w335/yu-man/ForumRME-1.jpg[/img]

Well I sent the UFX back to Music Store who sent it to  the RME repairing center on 2010/12/27.....I still don't have my UFX back, I called Music Store who can't tell me what's happening....apparently, they send to the RME Repairing center several emails, but no response.....

How can I know what is going on with my UFX and when Can I expect to get it back?

Asus P5Q Pro / Core 2 Quad Q9300 / 8Go DDR2 PC8500 / Win7 x64 / Sonar X1 / RME FF UFX / UAD-2 Duo x2

Re: UFX repair takes too much time!!!!

Hello,

please excuse the delay. Can you send me the unit's serial number? I'll see what I can find out.

We indeed had a server crash recently and some postings were lost - sorry about that, nothing intentional.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

ok no problem...

but sorry, where can I find the serial? As I sent the unit back, I don"t know where to get the serial...

Asus P5Q Pro / Core 2 Quad Q9300 / 8Go DDR2 PC8500 / Win7 x64 / Sonar X1 / RME FF UFX / UAD-2 Duo x2

Maybe the number can be found on the invoice?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

could it be 4260123362683 ?

No... The serial number starts with 2 and has eight digits... Maybe the shop can help find it.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Ok, j've just called Music store and they had the Serial: 23106492
It would be very nice if you could give me some information about my UFS, it's been more than one month now that the unit is in your factory, and I really need my UFX....

THX

8 (edited by ambolik 2011-02-09 11:41:45)

UP?!  :-)

Serial: 23 10 64 92

I've enquired, will get back to you...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

ok thx,

so I can expect receiving my UFX until next week?

Hi,

the card is on its way back to Music Store.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Perfect.....
last question : will there be a report mentionning what was wrong with the unit...? just to know exactly what was the problem, and what has been done during repair...

According to our manufacturer, no problem could be found during a long-term test... 

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

HeadScratch

it's a bit confusing....I could reproduce the problem almost every time at first power on of the day... I hope I won't get the issue again....but there's definitely a cause to the problem.....

Contact me by mail when the UFX returns to you... We'll see what we can do.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

here's a reminder of the problem:

[img align=c]http://i521.photobucket.com/albums/w335/yu-man/ForumRME-2.jpg[/img]

could it be a ghost in the unit? HeadScratch

Ok....

have a nice day....

Did you include a detailed description of the problem when you sent the unit in?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

As I sent a copy of the post to MUSIC STORE Support (because they asked me to send them the descritpion I've made here on the forum), I thought they had joined it to your factory....but it seems they didn't....So if I understand, I've been waiting for nearly 2 months for strictly nothing, and there's a big big chance that if I get my unit back, it'll have the same problem....
Wouldn't be better if Music Store send your the unit again? I can call them to send you back the unit, but you have to link my pb description with the unit.....

the problem is that I can't wait for one more month....I really need the FF to record my band....I'm just waiting for it to start sessions...ed:

Hello,

you could call Music Store and ask them to do a quick test for the problem you have experienced before returning the UFX to you.

It is quite possible that they did forward the report, but that the phenomenon simply did not happen at the factory...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

well,
I just called Music Store, they receive the unit yesterday, and it's already coming back to me...but apparently, they did forward a pb description when they sent it to you....well, it seems I just need to wait and test the unit by myself...

I'll let you know....

Anyway, thanx a lot for your quick answers....
Have a nice day...

I'm sure the unit was properly tested at the factory. So for now, we can only see whether the issue appears again.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I've got the same problem

Hi,
well I give you some news...

The UFX worked properly during several days, and since last week-end the issue appeared again:

when the Unit is "cold" (beginnig of the day), I power it on, and 48V and TRS leds are all lit....If I plug a mic, I can't hear it, the Gain knob seems not working...globally, all inputs seem to be bypassed...no sound...but outputs are ok, I can play sound from playback returns....and after a moment, all inputs have their meters clipping with some digital "pops and noises" and all 48V and TRS leds turn off (their actual settings according to my setup), and then, the Unit is now functional....then the UFX works perectly during all the day...at the end of the day, I turn it off....the day after, I turn it on: same issue....

It's really confusing...looks like the UFX needs to warm up during several minutes....very weird...

26 (edited by ambolik 2011-03-11 19:52:41)

Maybe you have some hardware/component misconception because I find other persons on the forum who have a similar issue:

Post 1

Post 2

Post 3         => please check the video linked in this post, it's exactly my problem

Post 4

It's really boring, because I lost more than one month when I sent back the unit to the dealer who sent it to your factory....for nothing, because you didn't find anything....and I feel I'm going to have to send you again for repair/exchange.....the problem is that I lost too much time and I need my UFX....very ennoying....

Hi,

we'll find a solution next week.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

28 (edited by ambolik 2011-03-14 09:46:15)

Sure I hope we'll find a solution....I cant't stay with a faulty product...

Hi,

does it make any difference whether the unit is connected with USB or FW?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

No, USB or FW....same sh*!t....the issue occurs even in standalone....the common point in the three modes (USB,FW, Standalone) is that the issue occurs only at the beginning of the day, when the unit is "cold"....after several minutes (5,10,15,20....it depends), there are some digital noises with overloads on all the inputs (same behaviour in the youtube video in Post 3 above), then the unit goes back to a normal state, and it's done: the unit works perfectly til the end of the day....

I'll send you mail.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

what is weired is that when I received the unit from the guy who sold it to me, i didn't have the issue for the first couple of days (besides, the guy didn't have any issue with the unit), then I had the issue every day til I send the unit to music store who sent it to you (unfortunately, apparently you didn't have any description with the unit, alhough I had warned Music Store)....you tested the unit for a long period without finding anything, so you sent me the unit back in the same state I sent to you....and for the first 2 weeks I used the unit after having receiving it from you, it was ok....then, one day, the units started to do the issue again....and since this moment, it does it everyday...
Be sure I didn't mistreat the unit, I'm used to be very careful with my stuff...as soon as I received the unit I put it in a rack and it doesn't move...

what is sure is that I'm not the only one to have this kind of issue, so the cause must be from your side (hardware, conception...?)

Ok, so I wait until you mail me....
bye...

Just wondering... Could you test the unit in different surroundings?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I answered you on RME support mail

Just wondering... Could you test the unit in different surroundings?

No, but honnestly, I don"t think the issue is due to my electrical surrounding....none of my peripherals had any problem at home, and, anyway, if it was due to my power installation, why would the issue disappear after several minutes, and why would the UFX be the only part of my stuff being affected?

Temperatue and hygrometry? neither.....the room is dry, and the lowest T°c in the room can't be lower than 16°c....(average= 17-18°c in winter)

No definnitely, it must be faulty hardware...

I've just send you another mail on RME support mail concerning our "solution"...

It's very confusing: this morning, I've just powered on the unit and it works normally...

HeadScratch

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

So what do we do? I'm pretty sure it will come back again....

I've had my UFX since Feburary, and it does the exact same thing as the video posted on the other thread you linked to.

It did not do it the very first time I turned it on, but it does do it if the unit is powered off long enough to cool down.

The sequence to reproduce on mine is as follows:

Leave the unit powered off for several hours.
Turn the unit on (does not need to be hooked up to computer).  I also leave my speakers off until the warm up problem is finished.
After about 30 - 60 seconds the popping will start, and will last 15-20 seconds.
Once the pops dies down I can turn on speakers and everything is fine.

If I turn the unit off and back on in a short amount of time ( < 10 minutes), the pops don't happen.
If it's allowed to cool off, (> 1 hr.) the pops will happen.

For this reason, I rarely turn of my UFX unless I'm packing up for a gig.

I suspect the problem has something to do with the digital control of the pre-amps.  If you watch the mix software levels, you see the pops comming in only on the 8-12 channels that have preamps.

I've been thinking about creating a mix that has all of the preamp channels and master levels completely off, and trying to save that as a mix to boot up with (not sure how yet).

Overall I've been very happy with my UFX.  My only complaints are this one issue, and that the thing runs so darn hot.  I can't imagine why it generates so much heat.  I do like the fact that the power supply is built in, but would it maybe not generate as much heat internally?

If the unit runs hot then I expect a problem inside. It doesn't stay cool, but just gets warm. The pops that you experience on  the mic inputs are not normal and also indicate something going wrong. You should return the unit or send it in for check.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi,

well, I've mailed RME support to have some news about the repair of my UFX....and no answer...the mail has been sent on Monday...we're Thursday...
So how can I get news about my repair and any return date...?

Waiting for a reply from the factory. Have you got a delivery status, i.e. do you know (when) it arrived?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

YES, apparently the factory received my unit on 03/21 or 03/22...

Due for return shipping on Monday, so I was told...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME