51 (edited by 19 frets 2011-03-29 15:46:46)

Re: New UFX firmware with USB Recording - public alpha

Thanks Matthias.  I didn't want to do anything to mess up the new UFX.  Just getting started with the unit and don't want to create any unnecessary problems for myself.  LOL

52 (edited by Chester 2011-03-27 21:02:57)

Testing brand new UFX with a Seagate Passport USB 540 Gig drive all settings default.
Seagate drive formated by Satellite Receiver SV-Elite360 as FAT32.  - - - Windows 7-64 only shows NTFS as option, not FAT. Once formated, Windows 7-64 format of this formated drive shows cluster of 4096 and NTFS. Windows XP shows the formated drive as NTFS with Default. When I attempted to format this drive with the HPUSB utility that is referenced elsewhere in the forum, it formated as Fat32 but only showed half of the drive as available, and half of it as "used".

Initial test with all 60 channels enabled, drive shows errors within first 2 minutes

Second Test - 24 channels, all analog input and all analog output - No errors, until it reached file name UFX02_40, then it locked up the UFX recorder, error count showing 99, record light still flashing, doesn't respond to stop button. Required reboot of UFX. On reboot, restarted recording, and it ran error free until it reached UFX03_99.wav, then it stopped recording.

Third Test recording 42 channels (All inputs, Analog out 1-12) recording thru file #20, encountered 9 errors, HD 49-58%, W-time averaging 130-500 ms.

Test Four - Reformatted the Seagate Harddrive using the HPUSB utility on a Windows XP machine as Fat32 (complete format, not "quick"). When placing this newly formatted drive in Windows 7-64 machine it said there were errors. After the Scandisk tool had run, it reported that errors were fixed, and that the drive had 32768 per allocation unit, 19,530,494 on dis, of which 19,530,485 were available. Repeated the third test above, 42 channels (All inputs, Analog out 1-12) recording thru file #27, encountered 9 errors, HD 49-58%, W-time averaging 130-500 ms, the record time was exactly 3 hours when I terminated the test.

Attempted to use a SANDISK Extreme III compact flash card in a USB reader, UFX did not recognize that a device was present.

Is the Delete button supposed to work? I couldn't get it to delete a file.

Files opened in Reaper, but all of the files show up as 1 track in Reaper, that is 1 track with 42 audio tracks stacked in it. and I don't see a way to separate them. Don't use Reaper enough to be that familiar with it though.

Attempted to open UFX*.wav file in Sony Vegas PRO 10-64, Vegas generated a fatal error with the following error report:

System.Data.SqlTypes.SqlTypeException: SqlDateTime overflow. Must be between 1/1/1753 12:00:00 AM and 12/31/9999 11:59:59 PM.
   at System.Data.SqlTypes.SqlDateTime.FromTimeSpan(TimeSpan value)
   at System.Data.SqlTypes.SqlDateTime.FromDateTime(DateTime value)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.MetaType.FromDateTime(DateTime dateTime, Byte cb)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.WriteValue(Object value, MetaType type, Byte scale, Int32 actualLength, Int32 encodingByteSize, Int32 offset, TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.TdsExecuteRPC(_SqlRPC[] rpcArray, Int32 timeout, Boolean inSchema, SqlNotificationRequest notificationRequest, TdsParserStateObject stateObj, Boolean isCommandProc)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReaderTds(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, Boolean async)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, String method, DbAsyncResult result)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, String method)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteScalar()
   at Sony.MediaSoftware.MediaMgr.DataAccess.SqlServerDataAccessMgr.Insert(Object obj)
   at Sony.MediaSoftware.MediaMgr.DataAccess.UnitOfWork.PerformDataAccessMgrWorkForCommit(UnitOfWorkCommitFeedback feedbackDelegate, Int32 commitAttempt)
   at Sony.MediaSoftware.MediaMgr.DataAccess.UnitOfWork.Commit(UnitOfWorkCommitFeedback feedbackDelegate)
   at Sony.MediaSoftware.MediaMgr.RelationWorker.FindOrCreateItem(String name, String filePath, String originalFilePath, TagTreeNode tagTreeRootNode, MediaLibraryChanges& changes)
   at Sony.MediaSoftware.MediaMgr.RelationWorker.CreateRelation(RelationType type, String sources, String targetName, MediaLibraryChanges& changes)
   at Sony.MediaSoftware.MediaMgr.RelationWorker.DoWork(Boolean cancelRequested, Object genericArg)
   at Sony.MediaSoftware.Kernel.Threading.WorkerBase.DoWorkWrapper(Object genericArg)

Chester and copilcos, thanks for the feedback. The performance that you experience is not what we expect. Can you please tell me how you formatted the drives and which cluster size they have? You can check this easily in Windows by a right click on the drive, then select 'Format'. In the next dialog the current cluster size is pre-selected. Cancel the dialog then.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

54 (edited by Hans 2011-03-27 18:09:18)

My usb stick also would not initialize ( sandisk cruser 8GB).
Found out that by retracting the stick just enough to disconnect and then push the stick al the way in again, initializing the stick succeeded!
Discovered that if stick is placed and initialized, you then disconnect power, then when apply power again the stick won't initialize.

I have updated my post, see #52 above.

My UFX is on order, so I will test this when it arrives. However, would attaching a USB raid-1 array work if the array was properly formatted and partitioned? The array is hardware RAID-1 and so presents itself to the computer as a single disk (even though it's four disks.)

I'm asking because the disk array is a 1U rackmount and so sits very nicely for location recording with the UFX and a rack-mounted power strip/conditioner.

Thanks so much.

MC wrote:

Chester and copilcos, thanks for the feedback. The performance that you experience is not what we expect. Can you please tell me how you formatted the drives and which cluster size they have? You can check this easily in Windows by a right click on the drive, then select 'Format'. In the next dialog the current cluster size is pre-selected. Cancel the dialog then.

Hi MC,
Thanks for your reply. I could not know how big/small the cluster is, as I use mac. Could you please let us know how could we find this on a mac?

I formatted the usb Hard Drive in disk utility, using MS-DOS (FAT) option...I could not tell if this is done properly...is it?

Thanks, Pablo

dialing_wand wrote:

My UFX is on order, so I will test this when it arrives. However, would attaching a USB raid-1 array work if the array was properly formatted and partitioned?

You may be the first one to test such a device, so we look forward to your findings... :-)
Initializing the drive may take a while, depending on the size.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

RME Support wrote:
dialing_wand wrote:

My UFX is on order, so I will test this when it arrives. However, would attaching a USB raid-1 array work if the array was properly formatted and partitioned?

You may be the first one to test such a device, so we look forward to your findings... :-)
Initializing the drive may take a while, depending on the size.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Well I'll be happy to do it. smile Will let you know as soon I have some concrete information.

Chester wrote:

Testing brand new UFX with a Seagate Passport USB 540 Gig drive all settings default.
Seagate drive formated by Satellite Receiver SV-Elite360 as FAT32.  - - - Windows 7-64 only shows NTFS as option, not FAT.

Yes, sorry. My tip does not work with such big disks as Windows does not support FAT32 then. There are several ways to find the current cluster size, but they are all cumbersome or complicated. Anyone knows a simple tool that just displays what MS seems to have forgotten to show?

Chester wrote:

When I attempted to format this drive with the HPUSB utility that is referenced elsewhere in the forum, it formated as Fat32 but only showed half of the drive as available, and half of it as "used".

Yes, the HP Tool is limited to 256 GB.

Chester wrote:

Is the Delete button supposed to work? I couldn't get it to delete a file.

Press for a second.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

61 (edited by copilcos 2011-03-28 05:20:51)

I formatted the Hard drive in the same way, but now with two partitions, each one ended with 148 (ca.) Gb, and then recorded 2 channels (analog in 1 and 2)

result:
9%HD
0 Errors

Hi,

Maybe this tip will help !

http://www.cubert.net/2010/01/finding-c … iscsi.html

regards S-EH

Sorry, not at all. Requires recalculation and works (as mentioned) only with local disks.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Yes, the HP Tool is limited to 256 GB.

The FAT32 formatter tool I mentioned above successfully formatted a 500 gig drive... It really needs to be used carefully, though, because it will format your system drive, too, with a couple of wrong clicks...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

65 (edited by Chester 2011-03-29 04:25:29)

I found a utility that will evaluate the drive but only on a cmd window of a 32 bit operating system. It is called Chkdrv.zip, and can be found here . . . Link removed . . . it doesn't work.
What cluster size would you recommend if I reformat?

That utility seems to be too old. I have a USB stick formatted with a cluster size of 32 kB and the tool claims it has 512. Means it doesn't work (anymore).

An alternative to the Fat32Formatter is FAT32 Format. It allows to select the 'Allocation unit size', which should be set to 32k (not 64k). Would be nice to know if that helps.

http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index. … format.htm

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

You are correct, the Chkdrv utility reports 512 regardless of what size I formated the drive for.
I reformatted the Seagate Passport with a utility called "guiformat" which does not require installation, runs as a portable app and works on Windows7-64 bit. I chose the option of 32768 in the "allocation size" box. Re-ran the test using 42 channels, in two hours of recording only got 2 errors, the first 1 1/2 hours ran without errors, then I got two errors fairly quickly toward the two hour point. HD % running around 50%.

Ok. We will have another small performance optimization in the next firmware, maybe it helps too. Thanks for testing. BTW, guiformat.exe IS Fat 32 Format.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I suggest to make a solution to sync the track names from TMFX with the recorded file.
I think it would be nice if Digicheck could import the wav and the "file with track names" in order to export the tracks to separate waves with proper names.
For example, DC could import snapshot files, and extract track names from them.

Fireface-UFX, Mac OSX 10.6, Logic 9, BCF2000, AC-7 user, vocalist, live sound recording

Please also have in mind that the usb memory might be very helpful in "virtual" (the band playing from usb) sound checks. In order to make it work properly the track numbering would need to be organised in an easy manner. I suggest to add an option to force recording into a 30 or 60 track file, but record only the data from the tracks that were selected for recording. Of course any other solution with separate files storing the track names and numbers would be good as long as a band can be hooked up on the exact same channels as the tracks on the recording.

If all of the tracks are recorded pre DSP it would be good if the audio played back from usb could be injected as mic/line input in the dsp mixer. I mean to exactly simulate the inputs, in order to test the whole setup including routing, eq, compression and so on, by playing back from usb.

Fireface-UFX, Mac OSX 10.6, Logic 9, BCF2000, AC-7 user, vocalist, live sound recording

Hallo,

just a simple question to be shure that i understand the usb recording feature correctly: Does it work completly without a computer in standalone mode? That would be great, so as a FF400 + Quadmic user (doing a lot of live recording) i would purchase a UFX instead a fostex 2424 or something like that. Also i like the idea just to put 4 miks and cabels together with the ufx into a bag an do smaller jobs (chamber music etc.) without a notebook. If this would be possible... wooow!

Thanx, Mike

It is possible...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Does it work completly without a computer in standalone mode?

Direct USB Recording

- Recording & playback without computer and software. 
- All 30 inputs and 30 outputs. 
- On USB stick or hard disc.

The UFX features an integrated recorder for all inputs and outputs directly to USB memory devices at up to 2 TB. 
Live concerts, band rehearsals or spontaneous jam sessions can be recorded and played from the medium. Individual channels can be chosen for recording and the playback afterwards.
The UFX records the pure input signals as well as the processed mixer outputs in any combination. The channels to be recorded can be selected directly at the unit or comfortably in TotalMix FX. Playback supports up to 30 channels, either into the UFX outputs or the mixer inputs, enabling a post-processing of the audio data.
The UFX also plays back standard wav files that had been copied to the USB memory externally. For all this to work comfortably and safe the Recorder has been integrated not only into the unit (former key 'Meters' on the front), but also as additional panel into TotalMix FX.

But don´t forget it´s very convenient with the new TotalMix recording controls to select every channel for recording or playback with the mouse. A small netbook could be a good help.

We will have videos from the Musikmesse showing the DIR-U-REC live next week, so please check this thread later again, to see it in action.

best regards
Knut

Thank you for information - i read the product description to fast and impatient i think^^

So the UFX will be the next expansion for me, very nice! I dont need oberdubbing functions, just a reliable input metering and the safety to record larger sessions without drop outs. I dont expect any problems here, maybe RME could give us a "recommended harddrive list" with 4 or 5 USB drives when the testing here is done. Or maybe the users here could collect their experiences with their drives and list it in the first post of the thread. I will help doing some testing when my UFX has arrived.

please excuse my bad english, Mike

I must be missing something.  Have tried 2 Lexar 8 GB USB sticks.  Device Properties says Primary partition, MBR format.  UFX alternates between Initializing and No media Detected.  Tried another Lexar 2 GB, a Sandisk 4 GB, and an Ativa 4 GB.  UFX says Initializing indefinitely on all these.  All formatted FAT32, Win7 formatted and HP tool formatted.  Have not made any of the drives bootable using Win98 System files.  Do I need to?  Am I missing something?  Thanks.

My Lexar 8 GB stick (the current one which writes slower) works. Any other stick I have works too. Corsair, Sandisk Cruzer Micro, Verbatim, Corsair Voyager, Kingston, Sony MicroVault, Emtec...plus a bunch of different hard drives, from WD, Seagate, Buffalo and Samsung. Any normal hard drive used via a IDE or SATA to USB adapter also works.

Unfortunately at this point you will have to wait until monday for the next firmware update. We are still testing and improving. If all these sticks then still don't work it might be that your USB port is defective.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hello...
I would like to make a suggestion for the little screen:
I used yesterday the recording function for the first time in a real session. Worked wonderfully. 4 Channels.
but my only problem was this:

According to the angle where the UFX was (in a table). I was seeing it sitting in a chair (normal high, as usual) it was very difficult and sometimes annoying to detect which function was lightened up between play, stop, delete, and record, with just a dark frame in the screen's function selected.
i hope I am clear as my english is very bad.
Better would be that each function could change color or be "grayed" according to the turning of the front button.
It's absolutely amazing all the time I saved leaving the computer at home, the session went MUSICALLY better, so at the end, it's more than just another feature...it's helping me to get the session more flow and concentrated in the music. Not seeing an awuful computer....
Cheers,
Pablo

An update.  I re-formatted my test USB sticks on another computer.  FAT32, default sector allocation.  Results were as follows:

- 4 GB Ativa: works!
- 2 GB Lexar: works!
- 8 GB Lexar: alternates between "initializing" and "no media detected"
- 4 GB SanDisk: "initializing" indefinately

The older flash drives, in my case, appear to be the ones that work.  At least now I know (or I thik I know) that it's not the USB Port...

Hi Matthias,
Tested the new feature with an 8GB Patriot DOK - worked perfect.

However, I couldn't connect a 500GB Samsung external HD - it just keeps saying "Initializing..." forever.
(created a primary partition, set it active, and formatted the drive to FAT32 using the HPUSB utility)

HD Spec.: http://www.samsung.com/global/business/ … ;ppmi=1219

Any suggestions?
Thanks.

So, just to clarify,  we will be able to record software playback channels?  I presume we could do a submix that would route the software playback to a few outputs.  This would be truly incredible!

I bought this UFX mainly for stand alone live recording. So far,so good !

Yes, I understand the layout/function.

Formatted a 1 gig micro cruzer USB stick to FAT32 using HBUSBdisk.
Test 1
2 channels@44.1K
HD use 36% average, lo use@31%, peak use 42%
Total recording 19 minutes, zero errors.

Test 2 - reformatted disk. Repeated test number 1, but this time I had my UFX hooked up to an old outdated PC to view level data in digicheck. This worked fine, so while in the middle of recording direct to USB, I simultaneously started global record in digicheck. Both files recorded fine,zero errors. Nice!

Test 3
2 channels @ 192K, direct to disk only.
HD use 80% average, lo use 76%, High use peak 86%

I left the test 2 file on the USB stick. I let test 3 run until the USB stick was out of space, 6:02 minutes recorded total. Max wait time was 459 ms. Zero errors. Both files from test 2 and 3 played fine.

I'm impressed!

Wanted feature: since I recorded at both 44.1 and 192, would it be possible for the UFX to
auto sense the sample rate upon playback so that you don't have to manually change the clock to
hear it properly?

Thanks, and keep up the nice work!

Moshiko wrote:

However, I couldn't connect a 500GB Samsung external HD - it just keeps saying "Initializing..." forever.
(created a primary partition, set it active, and formatted the drive to FAT32 using the HPUSB utility)

We did not test USB 3 devices so far. But you should also check the partitions on your hardware. For example on one of my WDs I found a 4 GB FAT 16 area as first partition. I have no clue where this one came from. Such are not visible as long as they are not active and have no drive label, and will also not be formatted automatically. FAT16 as first partition will prevent it from working.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

LiveAudio wrote:

Wanted feature: since I recorded at both 44.1 and 192, would it be possible for the UFX to
auto sense the sample rate upon playback so that you don't have to manually change the clock to
hear it properly?

Sorry, that feature is not planned as it would screw up your whole system easily. Just a short prelisten on a file with 192 kHz while you have your DAW running at 48...no good idea...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

We did not test USB 3 devices so far. But you should also check the partitions on your hardware. For example on one of my WDs I found a 4 GB FAT 16 area as first partition. I have no clue where this one came from. Such are not visible as long as they are not active and have no drive label, and will also not be formatted automatically. FAT16 as first partition will prevent it from working.

Thanks Matthias,
I checked this with several utilities, all say it has only one partition (FAT32, MBR, Primary, Active).
I thought that USB3 has backward compatibility to USB2. Also, HD case has a LED that is green when it's working in USB2 and blue in USB3. When connected to UFX it's green, as expected, but initialization fails.
I'll replace it with a USB2 drive and report again.

BTW, test results with the 8GB stick: HD 3%-5%, 0 Err
Recorded 2 channels at 44.1 for almost 7 hours.
That's great! smile

And I also join copilcos recommendation above, to make the Rec/Play/Stop/Del buttons' focus state more clear.
It's really difficult to see which button has the focus.

Thanks.

>the Recorder has been integrated not only into the unit (former key 'Meters' on the front), but also as additional panel into TotalMix FX.

I didn't see that in totalmix. I'll have to look for it as I was going to suggest that!
Where is it located?

Also,I'll try to test  my WD USB 3 today

86 (edited by Moshiko 2011-04-04 16:57:15)

LiveAudio wrote:

>the Recorder has been integrated not only into the unit (former key 'Meters' on the front), but also as additional panel into TotalMix FX.

I didn't see that in totalmix. I'll have to look for it as I was going to suggest that!
Where is it located?

"All this can be set up a bit quicker and easier with an upcoming TM FX version - at this time please use the front controls."

Where is it located?

It will be included in one of the next test version. Here is a screenshot:

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/press/Screenshot-UFX-Recording.jpg

If somebody comes to Muskmesse Frankfurt, please visit the RME booth and have a look on it.

best regards
Knut

88 (edited by Moshiko 2011-04-05 06:10:25)

Update:
I replaced the Samsung 500GB USB3 HD with a WD 500GB USB2, and now it's initialized successfully.
4 channels recording at 44.1KHz is using 9%-12% HD, no errors so far (9 hours).
Max W-Time: 62-105 ms.
Checked the recorded files - all are ok. smile

Knut, thanks for the screenshot, it looks great!

Toshiba 500GB USB3 (ostensibly in USB 2.0 Mode), formatted with HP tool, and with Fat32Formatter.  One Active partition, 32,768 sector allocation size.  UFX says "Initializing" indefinately...

Thanks for the screenshot. That would be a great addition.
Now, back to the front USB:

I want to format and test my 1TB WD USB3 drive, but it seems from all of these posts that the HP utility won't handle the 1TB size, and the front USB port only supports one partition, correct?
So does anyone have a solution to using a drive larger than 500 gig? I'm willing to try the drive
and report back if you can help me with the size limitation.

Thanks

Post 66.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

New firmware out today?  I seem to recall mention of that a few days ago...

93 (edited by LiveAudio 2011-04-05 01:36:50)

copilcos wrote:

I formatted the Hard drive in the same way, but now with two partitions, each one ended with 148 (ca.) Gb, and then recorded 2 channels (analog in 1 and 2)

result:
9%HD
0 Errors

I thought that the UFX didn't support partitions. Does it just ignore the second partition?

I tried formatting my WD 1TB Passport essential SE USB3 disk with the GUIformat software. The drive formatted and showed up as 1000 gig with 1953456128 sectors.Alocation size 32768. The HD showed up and ran (but slowly) under Win XP. Plugged it into the UFX while UFX was on, and also tested by  plugging it in while UFX was off and then booting up. Same result, it hung up on initializing.

Reformatted with HPUSB to Fat32. The HPUSB software said that it had succesfully formated
to a size of 999,926,202,368 bytes total disk space with 999,926,071,296 bytes available.
The HD did not show up under Win XP. It hung up on initializing.

95 (edited by LiveAudio 2011-04-05 04:21:35)

Last post for the night...

Formatted a sandisk micro 2gig USB stick. It initialized fine. I recorded 2 tracks at 192 K,
all seemed well with HD use @ 35% to 45%, 160MS wait time at the beginning of the recording.
I let it record until the disk ran out. I had a 465 ms wait time when the recording was finished.

The display showed zero errors, with no disk space left, 3 files.

When I went to play it, the front panel of the UFX froze. No knob, button, or encoder had any function.
The screen suddenly went to "initializing" and then I had my functions back, but no files were showing.
I looked at the disk menu, and the disk display showed that the entire disk was empty.

I scrolled back to the "record" button, it highlighted as per normal, and the display showed 3 files once again .When Moving back to "play", the display shows no files. I could not play any files.

I rebooted the UFX to see if anything would change and had the same result.

LiveAudio wrote:

I thought that the UFX didn't support partitions. Does it just ignore the second partition?

Yes. It always takes the first one.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

LiveAudio wrote:

I tried formatting my WD 1TB Passport essential SE USB3 disk with the GUIformat software. The drive formatted and showed up as 1000 gig with 1953456128 sectors.Alocation size 32768. The HD showed up and ran (but slowly) under Win XP.

What does that mean, slowly??

LiveAudio wrote:

Plugged it into the UFX while UFX was on, and also tested by  plugging it in while UFX was off and then booting up. Same result, it hung up on initializing.

The initialization of a 1 TB drive takes nearly one minute. I wonder if you waited long enough.

LiveAudio wrote:

Reformatted with HPUSB to Fat32. The HPUSB software said that it had succesfully formated
to a size of 999,926,202,368 bytes total disk space with 999,926,071,296 bytes available.
The HD did not show up under Win XP. It hung up on initializing.

As said before that tool is limited to 256 GB.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

LiveAudio wrote:

3 files.

When I went to play it, the front panel of the UFX froze. No knob, button, or encoder had any function.
The screen suddenly went to "initializing" and then I had my functions back, but no files were showing.
I looked at the disk menu, and the disk display showed that the entire disk was empty.

Please try the recording again. It seems to me that you accidentally hit the DEL function. If you delete a file the memory is completely read-in again, means the same initialization process from plugging the stick in starts. While this process is going on you can still delete further files. Somthing like that must have happened.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

99 (edited by LiveAudio 2011-04-07 03:00:32)

>What does that mean, slowly??

It means that I could copy files to and from the disk, but at a lesser speed than my internal HD's.

>The initialization of a 1 TB drive takes nearly one minute. I wonder if you waited long enough.

I gave it plenty of time. I went and had dinner and it was still initializing.

Update, I tried reformatting the drive again with GUI Format, No luck, it still hangs up.Is there a preferred cluster size that may work? It reads and writes fine when I move it to other computers that have USB2 ports. The speed seems about on par with the internal HD's.

Three of us here have had issues with USB 3 drives, so that seems to be an area of concern.

Thanks,
Mike

100 (edited by LiveAudio 2011-04-07 03:14:30)

MC wrote:
LiveAudio wrote:

3 files.

Please try the recording again. It seems to me that you accidentally hit the DEL function. If you delete a file the memory is completely read-in again, means the same initialization process from plugging the stick in starts. While this process is going on you can still delete further files. Somthing like that must have happened.

I could not recreated the "initialize" error/freeze up any way I tried, even using the delete function.
(the delete function works fine) But I did do some other tests, here is the outcome:

I let the entire stick fill up, it worked fine. It showed that there were two files from the recording,
like it was split into two separate files for file size reasons. When you try to delete one or the other,
it clears the drive. Maybe it's showing 2 files in error and it's really just 1 ? UPDATE- that's exactly what's happening. I re did the test, and the UFX shows two files, number 7 and 8, but when I move the USB stick to a computer, it only shows file 7 and a folder called documents. I'm pretty sure that the "documents" folder wasn't there after I formatted, but I'm not 100 % on that.

I did a second test where I recorded several small files, and I was able to delete them one at a time
without effecting the others, but here is a issue that I found:

I recorded 6 songs in a row. I was able to delete any song at will, no problem.
I even liked that if I deleted file 4, the remaining files were correctly numbered. (1,2,3,5,6)

But If I deleted all of the 6 files (so I had/showed an empty disk with zero files) the next file that I recorded was numbered sequentially at 7, instead of number one. Since it was now the first file on an empty disk, doesn't it make sense to be number 1 ? 

Some features/suggestions:

I agree that the record/play/delete icons should stand out more when selected. Also, How about a warning when you hold the delete button in for a few seconds, then the operator would push a 2nd time to actually delete the file ?

Thanks,
Mike