Topic: How to control Fireface UC recording level

Hi,

I am a new member to this forum. Since about 1 week I have a fireface UC and I am trying how I can record directly from my fireface to my laptop. I connected 2 microphones to both mic inputs of the fireface and connected the USB cable to my laptop. I use Soundforge to record. My problem is that when recording I donot know how to control the sound level, which is send to the fireface AD converters and the send by USB to my laptop. For instance when I set all volume controls in TotalMix FX to its lowest value (-oo) and the mic gain to zero I still have a soundlevel at my laptop which looks not controllable by any fireface setting. How can I control this level? In my opinion: to have the optimum setting for recording I have to use the full fireface AD converter scale (to have 24-bit resolution), set my recording software also to 24-bit and then turn up the fireface mic gain in that way that I donot overload the analog/digital channel. Or am I wrong? Please is there anybody who can give some explanation how and what to do. Thanks!

Frank

Re: How to control Fireface UC recording level

You can see in the manual on page 51 that TotalMix and the volume fader of the input channel is behind the point where the signal goes to the audio software. So you have to set the level in the analog domain (level + analog preamp gain of inputs 1/2) or digitally in your audio software. Analog gain of 0 dB means not 0 dB level, but the gain amplification for low level signals, like line signals (mics require 30 to 50 dB gain). So you get the input level of your external signal + the UC preamp gain in the software. For a perfect recording level trim the gain to a level without overs (and use an external limiter or compressor to catch small overs).

best regards
Knut

Re: How to control Fireface UC recording level

Hi Knut,

Thanks for the help! Found also that the device SoundForge was pointing to, was the default Microsoft sound device instead of my Fireface UC. After correcting this everything starts to work and I now can control the input level by the mic amplifier gain as you described.

Regards,
Frank