Topic: RME ADI-2 as an outboard DAW loop

Hi, I recently purchased a RME ADI-2 since it will do AD/DA conversion independently. Though I can see most people use this feature to have good ADC for tracking and keep the DAC for monitoring purposes, I'd rather have it plugged to an outboard stereo compressor so I can have an analog insert for DAW mixing, but avoiding the ADC/DAC being done by the Firewire interface inner converters (TC Electronic Studio Konnekt 48, by the way).

After some trial and error, I think I finally made it, but I really would appreciate if you can give a look at this and make me know if I'm doing it right.

Rear connections:

·1) coaxial SPDIF output from DAW into RME's coaxial SPDIF input
·2) analog outs from RME into outboard's analog ins
·3) analog outs from outboard into RME's analog ins
·4) toslink SPDIF/ADAT output from RME into toslink SPDIF/ADAT input

Front panel:

·1) INPUT LEVEL: -10dBV (didn't get anything till I figured out I must have some INPUT led on so it's getting the analog signal in)
·2) CLOCK: upper right led (the one unlabeled with a line going on the COAX led) on INPUT: COAX
·3) OUTPUT: CON or PRO (couldn't make no noticeable difference out of them); ADAT didn't work since my interface's optical I/O are set as TOS/SPDIF
·4) OUTPUT LEVEL: -10dBV (I understand that, in case no OUTPUT led is on, there'll be no analog signal out from the RME, am I right?)

Since I was tryin' the loop within a 44.1kHz test project (Cockos Reaper as my DAW of choice), I set my interface's SYSTEM SETTINGS like this: Firewire interface (again, TC Konnekt 48) as 'Clock Master' (no choice about this), 'Sync Source' as INTERNAL and 'Sample Rate' 44.1kHz. I can't think of a better way to do this, since I'll be using a DAW and making two more outboard loops (to a TC M3000 digital reverb and a TC Finalizer digital mastering processor, both done via digital I/O).

Hope I have exposed it as clear as my broken English allowed me. Did read the manual, but it took me three passes to realize that RME would do what I wanted, though not as I have thought first (tried to make it via coaxial SPDIF I/O, but it didn't work).

And that's it; thanks for all your patience and any feedback from you will be extremely appreciated.

Re: RME ADI-2 as an outboard DAW loop

Looks fine, coax out of the ADI-2 will work fine as well, if you get the right settings for the TC device.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.