Topic: Switching to RME? 3 questions

Hello all, I'm new here. I have known the RME brand since I got interested in recording with a PC. It's rather strange that I didn't choose RME back then.HeadScratch

I am planning on replacing my mLAN setup with an RME soundcard. The main reason being the lack of W7 64 bit driver support on mLAN.

The RayDAT looks attractive: 1x PCIe: fits in any new PC or MAC. 32 i/o over ADAT: same as my current setup.

I realize I will have to buy additional gear to stay on the same amount of i/o, like a MY16-AT ADAT card for my Yamaha 01v96 that I use as DAW front end. Also some 8ch ADAT equipped preamp will come in handy.

My PC is an aging s939 AMD rig: CPU 3800+ X2, mobo  GA K8NF9-Ultra (nForce4!), 2GB RAM. XP SP3. Cubase 6. It still works without issues, though.

1. Would a PCIe soundcard overcome the PCI-troubles that this chipset is known for?

2. In what scenario would a TCO become necessary?

One might want to tell me to upgrade the PC. Agreed, it's old and you can get much better cheap. That's no good however until I get a soundcard that has driver support in W7 64.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Switching to RME? 3 questions

OK, perhaps I should ask a simpler question:

Yamaha 01v96 + Octamic II + RME RayDAT : do I need a TCO card?

Hi,

You will need the Word clock module for this not the TCO.
http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_hds … ds.php#WCM

1. Not sure on that older chip set how well it will work or not. Some one that still has an Nforce 4 system with an RME PCI-e card will need to chime in on that.
2. The TCO Time code expansion card is only needed for time code sync from devices like video decks.

Set the Raydat to master and then take a word clock out of the WCM expansion card to the Word clock in on the Yamaha and the word clock in on the Octamic.
Set both the Yamaha and Octamic to slave to the word clock input.
I assuming your plugging the Octamic ADAT outs directly to the RayDat and running the rest of the ADAT back and forth to the Yamaha.

Chris

Chris Ludwig | ADK Pro Audio
www.adkproaudio.com
https://www.facebook.com/adkmg

If it is an "Ultra" NForce 4 it should not have PCI issues. I had an Asus A8N Ultra with Nforce4 and could run both a PCI M-Audio 2496 and Creative X-Fi at low buffers. Additionally running the Fireface 400 via onboard TI Firewire port (which I think was connected via PCI, too) worked flawlessly.

Cannot speak for the Gigabyte board, but its design wasn't that different from the Asus if I remember right.

@Chris, Thanks, that is very useful info. I figured if I ordered it, it might as well be a complete order. I am not sure on the routing yet. The 01v96 will be equipped with a MY16-AT. I might want to connect the ADAT out from the Octamic to the 01v96 and then to the RayDAT. This will bring all channels to the 01v96 first. My mLAN is patched like that with a i88x that I coincidently bought at ADK.

@Timur: Yes it's a GA K8NF9 Ultra to be precise on BIOS F5 but a previous generation graphics drivers. The TI  chipset is on the PCI-bus. On startup it looks like it's sharing PCI IRQ 7 with the graphics controller. Then when I look at it in Hardware Management it's on 20 or so, but still shares with the graphics controller. This must be hardwired and I found it unsettling. It works, but I sometimes have the feeling it's holding back. I have a lowly GPU so it couldn't hog the bus too much. I have had my share of spikes but it is stable now. Just when I was thinking about getting a PCIe FW card and not worry about it anymore, Yamaha left mLAN behind fryingpan. So I ended up here...