Topic: FF400 intermittant digital noise with MBP

Hi guys,

im hoping you can help me out here.  when recording, i am intermittently experiencing digital spikes through monitoring.  when this happens, my audio also cuts out.  these spikes do not record but gaps in the recorded audio do.  At first i thought it was power cables crossing mic cables, but i have ruled that out. 

My current signal chain is condenser mic - ua610 - line in FF400 directly to laptop. 

Thanks in advance

mike

Re: FF400 intermittant digital noise with MBP

Are you Running OS X or Windows? What software?

Sorry,

OSX 10.6.4. running logic 8

drivers 2.75 and firmware up to date

When you write "intermittently", what does that mean exactly? Does changing audio buffer size have any impact?

When you "digital spikes", does that mean that Logic/Totalmix show a maxed out level for a split-second or what exactly does it do?

What Macbook Pro are we talking about? wink

the word intermittently is a bad word, but the problem only happens sometimes.  I cant put my finger on the cause.  I tried changing the buffer size from 32 to 128 and back to 32.  But now the problem wont happen!!  (always the way) 

I have seen logic max out when the spike occurs.  i'm usually recording myself and not facing the screen/total mix window. 

the computer im running is:
Logic 8
2.53 GHz intel core 2 duo
4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
OSX 10.6.4
RME driver 2.75 (updated after spikes occurred today)
Firmware is uptodate

firewire cable directly to laptop, external power supply on the FF400
Western Digital My Book studio 1 TB via usb

besides this issue, this unit is fantastic. 
CHeers

WLAN/Airport disabled?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

no my wireless has been both on and off when it happens.

Does it only happen with Logic 8? Have you tested e.g. Reaper?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

9 (edited by mikeea 2011-04-15 08:22:02)

Hi Daniel,

i haven't tested any other software.  but it just happened again.  can i email u the mp3?  when the spike happened, what sounds like a sample rate shift was recorded.

i have pro tools le 8 on my computer as well.  has anyone experienced a pro tools LE 8 and logic 8 driver conflict?

10 (edited by Timur 2011-04-15 09:23:24)

I cannot remember any issues with 10.6.4, but is there a reason why you skipped several versions? OS X is currently on 10.6.7! wink

Not saying that this will cure your issues, but with Coreaudio being an integral part of OS X and knowing that Apple is messing with it since 10.6 and Logic 9 it makes sense to try to update (and also makes sense to stay on a version that works).

I am happy to update the OSX to 10.6.7.  i am not up to date with where FF400 drivers and 10.6.7 sit.  Are they both compatible? 

I am wondering if the issue is related to sync?  sometimes the FF400 doesn't realise its plugged into the computer, and i need to turn off the computer and back on for the host red light on the unit.  when this occurs the system clock doenst lock and reads a -1000 figure. 

how longs the warranty on these?  im ready for someone to fix it, otherwise its useless to me

Is the FF400 new or did you use it successfully for some time? If the latter then maybe your cable is broken?

I've been using the FF400 with a Macbook Pro 17" 2009 for quite some time and never had it not being recognized. But most of the time that was on bootcamped Windows. Now I'm using a 2010 MBP and regularly turn the FF400 on and off, plug it in and out and it's always recognized (even over a 10m distance with a repeater cable in between, all bus-powered).