Topic: FF400 not recognized by Macbook Pro anymore

Hello,

My FF400 suddenly stopped working. I plugged it in, and the left firewire port wasn't working - so i tried the right one. It was working for a while, and the sound completely stopped. The interface was still loading the fireface properties and the totalmix apps, but with the red host led appearing. Now it doesn't even opens both apps, and the led is lit all the time. Looked on the firewire info on the system properties and just got some message that it couldnt recognize the firewire device, and now nothing appears.

Btw, I am running 10.6.6 with the latest drivers. Tried rolling back to the previous one, but it didnt work either.

ANY chance of doing something to make my ff400 work again ?

Cheers,
Ivan

Re: FF400 not recognized by Macbook Pro anymore

Try a different power supply. Else I fear the unit is broken internally.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I tried it on another computer, and it worked, so I am kinda relieved. So it is something with my Mac Book Pro. The thing is, my MBP is recognizing other devices, so it is something between the FF400 and the MBP itself. Any clues?

Do you happen to have Bootcamp Windows installed, too? Does it work there? Could it be connected to updating to OS X 10.6.6? Does it make any difference if you are using the external power-supply or not? Did you try another cable (might just have been lucky to bend it right when trying the other computer)?

Well, I just posted this on the apple support forum and that may make my problem clearer:

I am having a very big problem with my 13" Macbook Pro since yesterday. I took it to work and hooked it to a RME Fireface 800 audio interface we have in there, and for some odd reason it didn't recognize the interface. After a few tries, it suddenly came alive. I did the recording session as usual, turned the notebook off and brought everything home. Today, I hooked it to my own RME Fireface 400, and one of the firewire ports on it wasn't working - I plugged on the other and started audio playback. After a few minutes, the audio stopped and the host connection problem led the Fireface has turned on. AFter this, I couldn't get the fireface to be recognize on its own - more on this later.

I went to system profiler and got a 'WARNING: Unable to list firewire devices' message. I already googled it and it seems I am not the only own having this problem. I already clean PRAM, SMC, ran disk utility to repair disk and disk permissions and nothing has worked. HOWEVER, one external HD (firewire) i have is working just fine on this same firewire interface. I also tried daisy chaining the Fireface to the Hard disk, the later being connected itself to the Macbook, and using this method the interface works. I also tried the interface on another computer and it works just fine - so the problem lies on my Macbook Pro.

Now, I went to the Console application to see if there was any error messages, and in fact there are plenty. I got a bunch of 'FireWire (OHCI) Lucent ID 5901 built-in: Bad selfIDs, issuing bus reset (retry 2)' and then 'Missing self ID for node 0!'. Also got some 'Firewire (OHCI) Lucent ID 5901 built-in: 4403 resets in last 3 minutes'. Also 'SPFWR ERROR: Firewire bus may be unstable. Other Firewire devices may be present.'. Right now, If i plug the interface and look for something on the console, I get nothing. I only get something when I look on the System Profiler.

So, obviously, there's a problem between my interface and the MBP. Anyone has ANY clue on what to do? BTW, the interface don't work when booting to bootcamp using W7 (it is also not recognized).

So, basically, i tried another cable on this MBP (and it didnt work), I tried it on another computer and it DID work (although I may say that fireface settings crashed both times I tried on this other computer, but this may be the computer's fault - it was kinda buggy), and it DID work when daisy-chained to a external hard disk. The hard disk also works OK when alone on the firewire bus. So it is obviously a problem between the two. I just need to figure out which one and the problem itself.

Btw, no difference whatsoever by using the external supply or not.

and just to make it one step further complicated, the FF400 ONLY works daisy-chained when the cable is connected on the right firewire port on itself - the one closer to the PS connector.

Sound like a broken Firewire port to me, question is whether it's the one on your Macbook or the ones on the Fireface.

You are using a 2010 Macbook Pro (revision 8 Lucent FW chipset)?

And what about the power-supply question? Does it make any difference whether the power-supply of the FF is used or not?

Does the HD work when you put it after the FF in the chain?

Timur,

My MBP is 2010, I guess. It was bought on the beginning of 2010 (march), so I suppose yes.

For the PS, no difference whatsoever. When daisy-chained it works both with supply or by being fed by the fw bus.

As for the HD working after the FF, no it doesn't. It doesnt even power up, to be honest, when it is connected after the FF.

Any ideas?

MC wrote:

Try a different power supply. Else I fear the unit is broken internally.

It's refreshing to find a representative of a manufacturer who leaps to the conclusion that THEIR unit is broken, rather than trying to blame everything around it!  :-)

Okay, I tested it on my work's Mac Pro (late 2010 model) and the Fireface 400 also didn't work..at all. On the connector closest to the PS jack, I have a 'Unknown Device' message on System Profiler, and on the other connector, I get nothing at all - like if the Fireface wasn't there. The host light is constantly lit. Also, when connecting the FF400 to the FF800, the computer wouldn't see the FF400 at all AND the FF800 was recognized by the MBP (also on the Mac Pro), but the host light was constantly lit

I also had a different issue with it last night. With it connected to the external hard disk, it kept disconnecting from my MPB - the computer would see it, and then the host light would light up and it keep behaving like that for a while. Reconnecting the cable a few times 'fixed' the problem.

I live in Brazil - how should I proceed? Btw, I've bought it in Brazil, but IF POSSIBLE, I don't want to send it for repair here. I have the worst possible experiences with a big assortment of brands (AKG, Echo, Shure, M-Audio, KRK…and the list doesn't finish there) and their local distributors. Local distributors don't give a damn about customer service.Usually it is cheaper AND faster to send it overseas. Much faster I should say.

THanks,
Ivan

Where did you purchase the unit?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Brazil, at one store named 'Showpoint' that supposedly was the distributor at the time. I am not sure they were distributors or they imported it and sold. It was around 3 or 4 years ago.

RME website lists 'Um instrumentos' as the distributor at the moment but their website doesn't list RME as a brand they provide support : Assistência Técnica Autorizada:
Showfix – ESI, MXL, CAD, Cortex, iKey, ART.
Vellozo – Fernandes Guitars – Electro-Harmonix

Daniel, I understand you'd prefer me to send the unit to the local distributor. But I've had my fair share of bad experiences here. I can't afford to wait one month or more with the unit on tech support and that is what I am 100% sure will happen with anything in Brazil. If I had a backup unit, I wouldn't have a single problem with it, but I don't. So, if it is not possible, I will "understand", but anyway..you got the point.

Daniel, I just contacted the dealer and they forwarded me to their own tech support (the dealer ins affiliated to Um Instrumentos). They gave me a repair time of around 35 days IF they have the parts on stock and 45 to 60 days IF they have to order the parts directly from RME. This includes 7 to 10 days for testing. Is there a more reasonable solution for this? Two months without working is just..too much.

RME guys, seriously, what I need to get an answer on what to do ?

Do I need to give you the Um Instrumentos number to you confirm what I just told ?

I can't afford losing 60 days of work (and by living in Brazil, believe me, I have my doubts it will be only 60 days. The parts will come by ship and then the duana will hold it for a while and and and... ) and if this thing is broken, I want to find a solution asap.

I already e-mailed your tech support but also got no answer.

I'm not sure what you expect us to do from here... We have no direct influence. So unless you wish to ship the FF to German (which will not likely be faster), you will have to deal with Um Instrumentos and see what they can do for you locally. Maybe they have some kind of temporary alternative for you.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I understand he wants to ship to Germany. wink

Well,

it isn't likely to be a lot faster, and customs will have their say on both trips, but of course the device could be shipped to this address:

Audio AG
Am Pfanderling 60
D-85778 Haimhausen
Germany

Phone: +49 (0) 8133 918170
Fax: +49 (0) 8133 9166
E-Mail: info@audioag.com
www.audioag.com

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I'm having the exact same issue with my fireface 800 and macpro nehalem. Snow leopard 1.6.6 and latest fireface driver.
it started to keep on losing the connection and now no connection at all, on any firewire 800 port.

I tried to plug it onto a macbook pro, via firewire 400, it works fine.

Fireface is useless on macpro!!

It use to work flawlessly for years..

dido1, it seems like something is causing trouble on your Mac Pro Firewire bus. Try it with all other FW devices disconnected, especially the Cinema Display FW connection.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

hi guys,

i am also having an issue where sometimes my macbook pro late 2009 doesn't recognise my FF400 when plugged in. 

Not good for my confidence in the product

mikeea wrote:

hi guys,

i am also having an issue where sometimes my macbook pro late 2009 doesn't recognise my FF400 when plugged in. 

Not good for my confidence in the product

Yeah.  People expect Macs to be faultless.  They aren't, of course.

Yeah...my thing is really not the confidence in the product. RME products are top notch, really better than anything I've tried on this level. What makes me not confident anymore is the tech support. On another forum a LOT of guys are complaining about tech support not answering emails, products coming back from the repair still defective, unanswered support questions. That may be a tendency with audio hardware, tho'. FMR Audio (RNP, RNC, etc.) is the same deal.

hey ljangoux,

yeah agreed.  the product is top notch, just when something goes wrong...