Topic: cubase out levels do not match the RME out levels

Hi guys,

I am working with Cubase 5.0 and RME HDSP 9632 under WIN 7 ( 64 bit).

I have noticed since couple of days that the output level of Cubase does not match with the out of RME card.
So, for instance, if the total output of Cubase is let's say - 3db - 5db, looking everything fine ( no red clips on any channnel/master channel etc) when I check on Total mix the Out1/2 (settled for AN 1+2 both - is actualy the preset 1 of TM) are totaly red.
Normally I open TM only at the end, when I want to listen loude/softer etc, but at this stage, I opened TM in the midlle of the work because the distortion was obvious and I could not discover the source in Cubase ( like I said, everything was looking fine in Cubase)

Do you have any clue why is this happening?

Re: cubase out levels do not match the RME out levels

I have. Probably you have assigned normal outputs and studio outputs in cubase and then they double up so -3db becomes +3db.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

Generally it is important which levels you compare and how they are obtained; average or peak. You can compare levels (and the should match) only if they are obtained using the same algorithm.

My money is on the Control Room / Studio Outs being "double bussed" as vinark mentioned.  Average vs Peak can cause such disparities as well, but this Control Room issue is a fairly common configuration mistake in Cubase/Nuendo.

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

Thanks guys!
Randyman and Vinark were right - I had indeed a control room link made on the same outputs.

RMS vs Peak will not cause such big diferences in my opinion. Anyway, both are setled on peak.