Topic: UFX live usage

Hi,
I don't have a UFX YET, but was thinking about it as a live mixer and/or a speaker management system. I know it's not the main objective of this hardware, but would it be possible to implement a delay control for ins and outs for multi-mic/multi-speaker time alignment purposes? The input delay would also be useful to record a live premix of a multimic session with all mics phase already aligned.
Thanks,
Matias.

Re: UFX live usage

No line delays, no crossovers, no bass management systems, no limiters, no graphic eq.
I requested all of those features but the answer was=not planed.
I use UFX in live situations most of the time but outboard equipment is necessary.
The midi Mackie Protocol remote is limited to 1 - 8ch. bank, you can't control it with 2xBcf or 2xMCU.
I think RME didn't design this unit as a live mixer... And it's a mistake in my opinion.

Anybody want these features? Please at least leave a request here!

Fireface-UFX, Mac OSX 10.6, Logic 9, BCF2000, AC-7 user, vocalist, live sound recording

Correct, the UFX can be used for live mixing but is not advertised as such, because compared to real mixers it lacks some features that it will never get.

That said we have a lot stuff still on our list that will  be added to the UFX. Gain reduction shown in the level meters, Mackie support for 16 channels and lots more.

I don't understand 'limiters'. These are included (digital), but useless for Live. That needs to be in the hardware's input as discrete analog circuit, and can obviously not be added by whatever update. So you can not complain as you knew that before you bought the unit.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

By limiters I meant a compressor with very high ratio setting, I suggest adding a limiter button in the dynamics section which would act as a second compressor after the existing one with a ratio of 1:50 or more, and a small treshold 3db or less.
I use analog limiters after the outputs for my speakers when needed, but it would be nice to have limiters on the outputs when several in ear monitors are used, for hearing protection. I don't have 5 analog stereo limiters...

Glad to read about 16ch MC support! I didn't get any reply on that one as far as I remember.

Oh, and one more thing. Would it be possible to add a dsp bypass button for each submix/track on each submix?
Sometimes I use the UFX as a mic splitter and a monitor mixer at the same time. I would like to have the dynamics and EQ applied for some of the submixes and maintain the clean signal for the outputs acting as the splitter.

Fireface-UFX, Mac OSX 10.6, Logic 9, BCF2000, AC-7 user, vocalist, live sound recording

You can use the Auto Level in the outputs as output limiter. I even made a preset to show that (Output Protector). Tried that? Should be ok for most applications, especially yours. The threshold is fixed, but you can change the output level/volume via the reference levels and the externally connected phone amps. 

Threshold 3 dB? Referenced to what? Such a limiter needs at least another threshold setting AFAIKS.

A kind of pre/post DSP is not possible, the internal structure does not support that, sorry.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME