Topic: Rme 9632

Hello,

I am a newbie. So, I appreciate your help.

I'm a songwriter who records demos to give to publishers. I never use more than two inputs at once into Nuendo. The two are two mic inputs for electric and acoustic guitar, and 2 inputs from my synthesizer. I also use a Direct Box with my bass.

I have been using a Layla 20 sound card with their breakout box. Now, I'm looking for a better sound card and the RME 9632 has a great reputation. My question is, is the 9632 all I need? Or, do I need a breakout box, like the one I had for my Lalyla 20 sound card?

I must say, when I look at the 9632, I am concerned that connecting a bass to it via a DI could pull at the sound card. Am I wrong to think this could damage the card?. Given that I never record more than two signals at once, do i need anything else to convert my analog signals to digital inside Nuendo?

Thanks for your information.

Cubase 6 64 bit, Windows 7, RME AES HDSP-32, Lynx Aurora 16. Bricasti M7, API 2500, etc.

Re: Rme 9632

You will need a preamp for mics. 2 channel with an ad output preferably then you will have your 2 analog ins free for whatever - maybe your DI box. If your cable has a sufficient lenght there should be no problem with your DI box.

Re: Rme 9632

Hi,

Are you talking about Hammerfall 9632 or Hammerfall DSP 9632? AFAIK Hammerfall 9632 is much older, digital only card and comes with old drivers without totalmix.

In case you are talking about Hammerfall DSP 9632 card, Like Bebop said, HDSP9632 is "line level" card, so you can't plug mics directly into it. Only keyboards for example.

If you already own mic preamp then this card is pure gem. I had one for years without a single problem.  And latencies can REALLY be low, so you can use plugins in real time (with direct monitoring turned off). Very useful if you use software guitar amps and stuff. Or like to hear your voice with reverb while recording.

In case you don't own mic preamp then something like babyface or similar should be all you need.

Regards,

b.

https://granurise.com