Topic: Digiface Adat input issue

Hello and thanx in advance for your time and patience.
I had a problem today with the Adat input section of my Digiface (I guess so). No more Adat input at all.
This is my system: Mac Pro v. 1,1 , Tiger 10.4.11 , Logic 8 , Unitor 8 , Uad 2-Duo , Uad 1 , TC Powercore (FW) , 4 internal HDs , 1 ext Hd , 4 USB Hd , Belkin Hub, HDSPe short PCI card v 1,1 as far as I can remember, Digiface , 1 ADI 8 DS , 2 ADI 8 Pro. Drivers and firmware updated 1 year ago , more or less.
The Digiface is set to be the Master, the sync pref ref is Adat1 (I've read here that it wouldn't work and so ? Word Clock??), I've tried the Autosync but it's just the same. The Digiface front panel's green leds showing ADAT valid signals are now turned off. No lock in the settings window.
No input red optical light on the rear, just output lights.
The converter racks are properly set , the front input meter leds light up, so the signal is present but not in the RME mixer inputs channels. No analogue issues like faulty cables,
I've been rouitng the internal sounds of the Mac to the Hammerfall thought it is not sudjested but it worked for 3 years. I've done it to listen to Quicktime Player, Itunes, Youtube etc. Now they are routed to the built in audio, so not to blame anymore (it was working fine, anyway).
All of this today. No settings change. I've tried all the ways but can't fix it. Is the Adat input section broken?
In this case what do you sudjest? Digiface Repair ? HDSPe card upgrade (I've read there's an offer)?
Please.. some help I'm in the middle of more works so... deep in trouble!
Thank you.
Best Regards

Adamdog

Re: Digiface Adat input issue

I've also reinstalled the drivers for Hammerfall dsp System (v. 1.73) and firmware update (2.14). Nothing.
No Adat input, no lock.
Thank you.

Adamdog

3 (edited by Randyman... 2010-02-28 22:07:01)

I'd try a physical ADAT loopback connection from Digiface OUT to Digiface IN and see if you can get a lock and pass any signals that way (temporarily eliminating the ADI-8's from the equation).  I would think it is highly unlikely that all 3 of your ADI-8's failed at once, or that all 3 Optical Receivers in the Digiface failed at once - but I guess anything is possible?  Maybe all 3 Optical Receivers in the Digiface share a common power circuit?  I dunno...

FWIW - You won't see the red optical light on the Digiface ADAT INPUTS, only the ADAT Outputs emit the red light.  You should also see the red optical light on the ADI-8 ADAT OUTPUTS (you can unplug the ADAT cable feeding the Digiface Inputs and see if they have the red optical light present from the ADI-8's ADAT Outputs).

I doubt this has anything to do with the "ADAT1 > SPDIF Optical" setting since you are not getting any lock on ADAT 1-2-3 (this setting only affects ADAT1 AFAIK).

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

Thank you very much for your interest, I've really appreciated. Yes no red light for inputs sure... All the 3 green leds in the front of the Digiface are not lighting so  guess no valid signal present. I,ve changed the cables and swapped the converters. No way yet. Yes the ADI 8's Adat output red light is on. I'll try the loopback Digi adat in to out that's smart. Thanx for th e tip. Once I've blown the Adat section of one of my ADI 8 pro, now it's repaired. So... it happens! I also have got a brand new ADI 8 DS so that test is definitive (DIGIFACE-ADI).
Hope the Digiface's not blown ! It's out of warranty... and I'm out of the machine ! The playback is alright so I can mix and listen but not record. I wonder how the whole thing is syncronized, thought... but it works.
Thank you so much.
Best Regards
Adamdog

Hello I've also tried to change the FW cable from the HDSPe to the Digiface, and disconnecting all the software that was using Hammerfall out like system sounds, Jack pilot, DVD, etc.
Still no Adat input, so tomorrow I'll ship the HDSPe and the Digiface to an authorized center to get it repaired as soon as possible. Thank you fro all the tips and support. You are great!

Best Regards

Adamdog

Sorry we couldn't get your issue solved.  Hopefully the repair center will get you going :-)

Best of luck! cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

thank you.

Was getting the same problem with the cardbus. It turned out that the Digiface was not getting enough power and i changed the power supply to the 12v/3.5A one. It solved the problem. I hope this helps.

Hello thanx i&k. Ok still I have the same problem (more than 1 year)... now I've purchased an RME original PSU my only dubt is that I don't have a cardbus nor laptop but a MacPro so the manual says no PSU required... what would happen powering my Digiface with an external PSU? Will the bus stop powering or... shock risks cause of a double powering? Please answer me soon cause I have DAYLY problems with my RME system:
need to switch on off 2-3-4 times before gettin a sync. My guests are not happy. My 2 ADI 8 are connected to an EMI analogue mixer so I'm really disappointed switchin on off (BOOM in A class channels!). If I don't solve it now, I'd sell it all and so long.