Topic: Using ADAT on the BABYFACE to add more Ins - good options???

Thinking about adding some more ins to the Babyface. 

I've looked into the usual suspects from ART, Presonus, M-Audio, and a few others.  The bulk of them seem to be in the $500 range.  I'm also considering getting an ADAT A/D converter such as the SMPRO Q-ADAT and then adding some pres as I find them. 

I'm not entirely sold on getting an 8 CH all-in-one solution ... I wouldn't mind picking and choosing each preamp or pair of preamps that get funneled through the ADAT In.  I'm wondering if the A/D in the SMPro unit would be the weak link though???

Anyone actually using the ADAT In on the Babyface?  What is your setup?

Re: Using ADAT on the BABYFACE to add more Ins - good options???

I'd go for a used ADI-8 Pro for under $500 (the general rate on eBay) and pick and choose preamps like you hinted at.  The all-in-one Pre/ADAT converters are generally a compromise and are basically semi-pro IC based units (generally not discrete preamps) unless you get into the U.A. 4-channel box or the Micstasy type units ($$$$).  I've bought and sold too many Preamp/ADAT units for a loss - go for the gusto up front and skip buying and selling pro-sumer gear IMNSHO...

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

Arman wrote:

I've looked into the usual suspects from ART, Presonus, M-Audio, and a few others

I recommend you look beyond the "usual suspects" and consider the RME Octamic II :-)

best regards,
Blair Francey
Fireface 802/ARC USB; HDSP Multiface x 2; 2023 AMD Windows 10 Custom PC

I don't use Babyface, but want to integrate my ADI8PRO into iMAC setup as a good front end considering nice ADC/DACs and possibility to use any preamp. So, still 'under consruction' mode and look for cheapest way to connect ADI8(ADAT)-USB/Firewire-iMAC