Topic: Trouble using outboard with Babyface - please help

Hi there,

Ok so I have an outboard analogue compressor and I want to run audio through it, and back into the Babyface and listen to it. I am running the main Analogue outs into the compressor, then running the compressor into the main line ins. I want to listen to the processed signal in my headphones, however I cannot seem to isolate the processed signal, it always plays both signals back together whatever I try, resulting in a very high pitch metallic sound.

I have been fiddling with TotalMixFX for hours now. Can someone explain to me how I can do this?

Many thanks,
Steve

Re: Trouble using outboard with Babyface - please help

There must be something wrong with your setup; all you should hear when combining both signals is some sort of "comb" filter as a result of baybyface's delay. In other words frequency distorted signal, but not something you describe. More details of your setup will give us better chance to help you.

It is a comb filter type effect I am getting - but when i turn the gain up on the compressor I get feedback.

I am finding TotalMixFX to be very confusing in general, but my requirements are very simple. I would like the following chain:

Ableton Live > Analogue Out 1/2 > Outboard Compressor > Analogue In 1/2 > Headphone Out (PH 3/4)

I think I am getting a feedback loop somewhere that I can't seem to pin down.

Thanks for your help!

Try posting a screenshot of your mixer and matrix views with signal present.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Hi again,

Ok so I went out this morning and bought some cables to allow me to do this all a bit better. So here is the set up now:

Using the Ableton Live "External Audio Effect" unit, I am routing the audio to output 3/4, and monitoring input 1/2.

Ableton Live > PH 3/4 > Compressor > Input 1/2 > Ableton Live

However, I still cannot isolate the processed signal, i'm clearly getting two signals at the same time.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4711444/totalfx.jpg

6 (edited by hedflux 2011-04-28 10:55:03)

Without any music playing, if I just turn up the PH 3/4 output, I get intense feedback from the compressor coming in AN 1/2. The feedback gets stronger as I turn the gain up on the compressor obviously.

I assume that the input is going back to the compressor and creating a feedback loop, but I can't seem to stop it

ok i've figured it out!! The chain is thus:

Ableton Ext Audio Effect > PH 3/4 (software) > PH 3/4 (physical) > Compressor > AN 1/2 (physical) > Ableton Ext Audio Effect > Ableton Master Out > AN 1/2 (software)

what a hedf*k! thanks for your help anyway! smile

I am trying to do the exact same thing with a Mac Pro + Logic Pro 9. I want to create the following signal chain:

Logic -> Audio Interface Out -> Outboard Analog Effect In -> Outboard Analog Effect Out -> Audio Interface In -> Logic -> some way to monitor the effected signal.

Is this possible with the Babyface? If not, do you know what will do this that is relatively inexpensive?

This is possible when you monitor the final Logic signal with the headphone output. Send the signal to the analog outboard with the XLR outputs. Connect the signal from the analog outboard to the XLR inputs. You can either monitor the incoming signal from the outboard analog effect or this signal through Logic with more plugin effects.