Topic: ADAT Wave Inputs not seen by Smaart 7

Hi,

Using a MF2 with ExpressCard for audio analysis.  When installing a sound system I have the luxury of using ASIO drivers and ADAT inputs, all of which work well and are recognized by Smaart.  However, when I switch over to performance mode, I am forced to use Wave drivers to accommodate older playback software.  When I try to use Smaart, the only available Wave input drivers are the Analog inputs.  No Wave ADAT inputs are seen.

I've noticed in (Control Panel > Sound > Recording) that the ADAT pairs have no 'Advanced' tab under 'Properties', yet the Analog pairs do.  I was able to adjust the proper default sample rate and bit depth for the analog pairs under that 'Advanced' tab but no such luck for the ADAT pairs.

Any ideas how I might remedy this?  I really need to be able to use Wave ADAT drivers.  I used this exact setup for years under XP with excellent results before my last laptop committed suicide.

Thanks in advance.

Asus N71jq
Win 7 Home Premium SP1
8 gigs ram / 120gb ssd
Driver = 3.08.5 / Hardware Rev. 18

Re: ADAT Wave Inputs not seen by Smaart 7

This seem to be a limitation of Smaart, and you should check with them. Under Win 7 WDM devices have clear properties. Digital inputs are digital and therefore one (obviously) can not set the sample rate etc, as the incoming signal will do that. It seems Smaart simply ignores input devices with the digital property flag. And that is why you don't see the SPDIF input either.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Matthias,

Thanks for your reply.  I had a brainfreeze on the lack of default samplerate for digital inputs; the MF has no sample rate conversion.

I will check with the guys at Rational Acoustics to see if there is a reason for this behavior.  It seems odd that the ASIO ADAT is recognized but the WDM ADAT is not.  If I find out something worth sharing, I will post back.

Thanks again.

Just a follow up in case anyone was interested.  I think because I had no active ADAT inputs when Smaart initially scanned for devices, it did not find the WDM ADAT Inputs.  Now that I am connected via ADAT to a Yamaha M7, they are showing up fine.  Why the ASIO ADATs were there but not the WDM initially, I don't know.  Regardless, it's working now.  Cross post at the Rational Acoustics forums here:  http://www.rationalacoustics.com/forums … .php?t=746

Thanks again for the great products and support Matthias.