Topic: longer usb cable run to babyface, usb 3

I'm hoping to run a longer usb cable from my computer to babyface.  eight to 10 feet.  cramped apartment studio, etc.  Is this connection basically just working or not working, i.e, will sound quality suffer other than any obvious dropouts, etc.  Should I use an extension cable from the babyface cable or another one entirely? Any specs I should know about.  Also my new computer has a usb 3 slot.  Can I use this, and would there likely be any improvement in performance?

thx

Re: longer usb cable run to babyface, usb 3

USB 3 port won't perform any better. You can try a longer cable, the extension may or may not work. I use a 6 foot cable that came with an ext hard drive, and it works fine.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Re: longer usb cable run to babyface, usb 3

I have used a good USB2 cable that was 8 feet long. Seem to do the same, but now I am back to the 3 foot cord provided by RME.

I lenghtened my audio cables and keep the babyface by the desk with the computer. But if I wanted to move the babyface to where I have my synth and sound modules I could use the 8 foot cord and not be concerned about it changing anything. (a good USB2 cable I had laying around from something else, I guess - another computer in the past or some hardware I don't use anymore.)