1 (edited by bigtree 2011-05-07 03:53:56)

Topic: x58 Chipset

Just bought the HDSPe AES 32, had it shipped 4 thousand miles with an ADI-8 QS and find out now that its not compatible with my 965 i7 that appears to have the X58 chipset.  Please tell me what I'm reading on old topics here, that this isn't so? That I cannot use the HDSPe AES 32 in this PC and I must send it back?

http://recording.org

Re: x58 Chipset

For the most part, there is no problem. One of the early X58 boards (Intel DX58SO) had a major issue with PCIe card compatibility, not only with RME cards.

If you're having trouble, check for a BIOS update first.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

I was using a Dell Precision with Xeon cpu and X58 chipset together with 3 x rme HSDPe with no problems.

Regards, Mikael

2 DAWs, each C 7/64, W7/64, Dell Prec. T5500 (2 x X5690), 2 x rme HDSPe / Multiface II / Octamic II

4 (edited by clerks 2011-05-10 16:10:55)

Hi, I'm using an Asus P6X58D with a Rme Raydat HDSPe card, and this system works better than i hope, i could use 3  Vsti's like: Sd2.0, Omnisphere, and Kontact 4 + 2 UAD plug(Manley Mono eq) + LexiconPCM native, and record 3 or 4 tracks at the same time(didn't check more) with 64 buffers latency,48Khz (with 32 buffers it works too but i don't want take any risk)  without any dropout... My Raydat is connected to Allen&Heath ZED R16, and i use Reaper 4.0 Beta...

5 (edited by bigtree 2011-05-12 03:30:06)

Jeff wrote:

For the most part, there is no problem. One of the early X58 boards (Intel DX58SO) had a major issue with PCIe card compatibility, not only with RME cards.

If you're having trouble, check for a BIOS update first.

Hey Jeff, took your advice and its working now, thanks!

After updating the BOIS, Stefano on another post recommends tweaking the BOIS:

Hi all,
if it can be useful I have managed to successfully use a HDSPe (PCI express flavour) card in combination with a Intel DX58SO motherboard.
I cannot say that it is a complete success because the DX58SO that I'm using is the latest hardware revision -702, so I cannot speak for the previous ones.
I have installed the latest BIOS 5390
I have disabled all BIOS options related to processor C-states, QPI power management, L0 and L1 PCIe states ( PCIe power management options).
I have installed the hdspe soundcard in the highest PCIe slot, i.e. the one with 4 lanes driven by X58 IOH.
The system is Windows 7 64 bit
The soundcard works just fine, there is some almost inudible noise through headphones but this is the same behavior with all the motherboards I've tested.

All the Best.
Stefano

Do you recommend this now?

http://recording.org

Absolutely. Any power management on PCIe can cause trouble for real-time audio.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

You can also try to disable PCIe power-management in Windows. It defaults to OFF with the "High Performance" power-profile of Windows 7, but all other profiles need manual adjustment to turn it off.