1 (edited by AlienDisco 2011-05-14 12:03:43)

Topic: RME Babyface & Nuendo

I just purchased the Babyface.
1. For some reason I can't get the 2nd XLR IN level loud. It is faintly audible. Almost not audible at all. That's it. I tried swapping the inputs to see if the signal was failing before reaching the RME Babyface. Not the case. Both channels are playing nice and loud from my keyboard. So the problem is somewhere from the Babyface onward. Can you record two channels at once with this interface????

2. My next question is why are 4 OUT's showing? In reality there's only 2 XLR outs coming out of the breakout cable! See 2nd image below. Where are these phantom 3rd and 4th OUT's?????

[img align=L]http://www.junkyardwillie.com/images-fun/Nuendo1ch.jpg[/img]
[img align=L]http://www.junkyardwillie.com/images-fun/Nuendo3and4.jpg[/img]
I'm running Windows XP, Nuendo 3.0

Re: RME Babyface & Nuendo

1. You know the Babyface provides two high-end analog preamps, which work before the AD conversion and thus before the recording software and the input channels of TotalMix.
Signal flow: XLR inputs > Analog preamps (digitally controlled, up to 60 dB) > recording software AND TotalMix input channel (signal split)

The preamp gain can be set either in TotalMix (channel settings) or on the Babyface itself (switch to In LED and turn the encoder wheel - separate adjustable for left/right channel or both channels). Check the analog gain of channel AN 2. Open the settings of this channel (spanner tool) and set the gain to the same value as channel 1.

2. You are not aware the Babyface provides four real analog output channels?

Two XLR + 2 for headphones (available on the Babyface case and on the breakout cable). This output setup allows not only to create a completely independent headphone mix but provides a great flexibility for any monitoring situation (e. g. two speaker sets).

best regards
Knut

OK.  I figured this thing out.  The hardware unit is not very user friendly as far as having lots of knobs. The manual isn't very well written either. You have to push down on the wheel to toggle from AN 1 to AN 2, to 1 + 2, to VU, and back to AN 1 again.  By default that AN 2 channel is turned way down.

I just wish I knew where 0 db is. Not sure how many lights are supposed to be lit.

The hardware unit is not very user friendly as far as having lots of knobs.

As far as I know you are the first one complaining about the Babyface has to many knobs.

You have to push down on the wheel to toggle from AN 1 to AN 2, to 1 + 2, to VU, and back to AN 1 again.

Yes. A very good solution to switch between the gains of both preamps separately or linked. And the best thing: it works either on the Babyface itself or with TotalMix - and will be of course saved in the software: Total Recall of all parameters, including the preamp gain!

By default that AN 2 channel is turned way down.

In the default state both analog preamp gains are set to 0 dB - this means no attenuation of the incoming signal. The perfect setting for external line level signals - mics or instruments need of course more gain.

I just wish I knew where 0 db is. Not sure how many lights are supposed to be lit.

This is very easy to find out (turn the wheel and watch TotalMix):
- For the analog gain of the preamps: only the first green LED (above the yellow phantom power LED) blinks
- For the digital volume of AN 1/2 and headphone output: 0 dB = when only the green LED below the first yellow LED lits (0.5 dB = green + yellow on). After the first step with 9 dB every small "click" changes the gain at 3 dB.

For the main output it´s possible to define 0 dB as Recall level. Set output to 0 dB and press the Recall button for 3 sec to save this value. The main output (= a virtual control room channel) can be assigned to any output. Usually it´s either AN 1/2 or the headphone output.

best regards
Knut

As far as I know you are the first one complaining about the Babyface has to many knobs.

I mistyped. Not user friendly = having LESS knobs, obviously.
The Babyface should be simplistic like an iPod. The problem is the writing of the manual. Too many engineers write manuals, rather than English majors.
Even the Quick Start Guide does a poor job explaining how the encoder wheel works. It refers to the encoder wheel as "the knob". What the hell is "the knob"???? I thought they meant the "select" button. I had to discover by accident that you have to push on the encoder wheel to toggle between input channels.
And why do they refer to the headphone out's as Analog 3 and Analog 4? Just a ridiculously written manual. I repair computers and have been working with audio / video work stations for years and years, yet I was still stumped for a day trying to figure this thing out. I finally figured it out through experimentation.

I mistyped. Not user friendly = having LESS knobs, obviously.

Sorry, the Babyface is very small. We' ve found not enough room to put more elements on it and after all I think it´s a good balance between design, controls and usability.

The Babyface should be simplistic like an iPod.

The iPod is not a tool for creating, recording and mixing music - which is a very complex process - but a lifestyle gadget (and after some years of integrating new features it is far from beeing simplistic). RME on the other hand builds serious tools for engineers and professional working people, which have other priorities and countless demands. That´s also the reason why we integrated a high-end mixer into the Babyface. Even professional engineers need some time to get used to those features. But in the end it´s worth it.

It refers to the encoder wheel as "the knob". What the hell is "the knob"???? I thought they meant the "select" button.

I never thought this could be misunderstanded. Based on the dictionary "Knob" is the usual term for a turning wheel. But thanks for the hint, I will keep it in mind for a new revision of the quickstart guide.

From the manual (page 7):
The rotary encoder is used to change various parameters directly at the unit. First the left key Select is used to select the mode which is then displayed by the Status LEDs:
Input: Setting the gain of the analog stereo inputs. A push on the encoder changes between left, right or both.

I think anybody can understand this explanation.

And why do they refer to the headphone out's as Analog 3 and Analog 4?

These are full blown analog outputs - could be used as line outs or to connect headphones.

From the manual (page 7):
"The analog outputs Phones (channels 3/4) are available at the breakout cable and on the right side of the unit ... The low impedance and unbalanced output signal is – in terms of quality – identical to the ones at the line outputs, but limited to +7 dBu."

best regards
Knut

Writing manuals is an art of its own. You have to make manuals as simple as possible, with no room for alternative interpretations. Once you come up with a name for something like "valuation wheel" you have to consistently refer to it as "valuation wheel" each and every time it is mentioned. (I would have called it "valuation wheel").  I would have gone so far as to draw a profile diagram showing a finger pushing down on the encoder wheel, or at least explicitly explain that the encoder wheel is meant to be pressed down on to toggle from AN 1 to AN 2, to 1 + 2, to VU, and back to AN 1 again.