Topic: Babyface - powering off

Hi,

Is it okay if a Babyface is always on? I mean, no matter if my computer is sleeping or just shut down, the USB is still being powered, thus the Babyface is staying on. I wouldn't like to plug/unplug its USB cord every time I turn off my comp, but at the same time I'm feeling a bit uncomfortable knowing it's on 24/7. Is it designed to be like that and perfectly fine to have it always on?

Thanks!

Re: Babyface - powering off

Perfectly fine. In fact it reduces possible problems on wake up.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Great, many thanks for the instant answer!

My motherboard is one of those that has power to the 5 volt rail even when the computer it totally off. It can't be switched off in the BIOS or via mainboard jumpers. The only way to cut power to the Babyface is to yank the USB cord, flip the power supply switch, or flip the switch on power distro surge protector.
These options are a nuisance (and seem to stress the motherboard by causing it to go through a weird double boot cycle). And, in the case of pulling the USB cord, causes wear and tear on the connector.

Since it also bugs me to see my Babyface on (even if it's just a 5v standby circuit) for 12 hrs a day the computer is off, I came up with another solution.

I bought two cable adapters that allow me to disconnect the Babyface without wear or stress on either the cable end or USB port on the Babyface.
Total cost $5.

USB Quick Disconnect

Until I upgrade to a mobo that allows me to disable 5v USB, this will do for me. :-)

QuBe