Topic: TotalMix FX mic gain not properly controlling Babyface gain

I've noticed that often if I move the mic gain knob in TM FX too quickly, it doesn't control the device's gain properly. For example, if I turn it to its maximum position very quickly, even though it reads +60.0 dB, the meter clearly shows that it isn't providing that much amplification, and if I double check the LEDs on the device itself the gain is set to something much lower (sometimes even +0 dB). If I then move the encoder on the device, the reading in TM FX jumps immediately to whatever the real value was.

Re: TotalMix FX mic gain not properly controlling Babyface gain

I can not reproduce. But I use the upcoming driver 0.979 with TM FX 0.94 pre 6 already, which includes improved communication between device and software. What are you using, and is this in stereo or mono mode?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

0.979 with TMFX 0.93, mono mode. I'll wait til the next TMFX release!

You really should download the 0.94 pre6 to test this. It would be a good info if you still have the problem or not:

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/tm … _094_6.zip

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Yep, having the same problem I'm afraid. Actually if I enter the value directly into the input box after double clicking the knob it also fails to follow the software's setting most of the time.

You took into account that you can't type in whatever you want, but are limited to fixed 3 db steps? A small deviation therefore is logical.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

7 (edited by Har 2011-05-17 07:42:48)

MC wrote:

You took into account that you can't type in whatever you want, but are limited to fixed 3 db steps? A small deviation therefore is logical.

Of course, but I was for instance typing in 60 dB when it was at 0, or vice versa, with no change. It's less about a deviation and more about just ignoring or failing to transmit the input. When using the mouse to move the knob, slower changes are transmitted more reliably than fast ones, but with text input I haven't noticed a pattern where smaller changes are more successful than large ones. Maybe there are small time slices when the control is not transmitted properly, and so text input has a random chance of succeeding since it's sending a single message, whereas the knob works better when moved slowly because it has more chances to transmit the changes?

If you can think of anything I should try to narrow down the issue let me know. I should mention I'm using the beta firmware 183, which I could rollback to 179 if it would affect anything.

183 is not considered beta, and I (and many others) use it too. What happens if you start from scratch by doing a Total Reset, disable all FX, and make sure MIDI Remote is disabled as well? If that still gives interrupted communication (yes, it is indeed that) then we might have to look for something different.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

9 (edited by Har 2011-05-17 12:05:54)

My mistake, apparently every time I've been testing this the Babyface was falling prey to the other bug I reported, with high CPU usage. Upon disconnecting and reconnecting the device (or waiting until the OS has loaded before connecting it), communication between TMFX and the unit works fine (even with the old TMFX). So I suppose the two are related.

By the way, I noticed in 0.94 pre6 the lowest recall/dim setting is -65 dB compared to -50 dB in the previous versions. Could this be extended to -infinity, so that recall or dim can be used as a mute function? [edit] Apparently -65 dB works equivalently to -infinity, nevermind (at least for recall).