1 (edited by Hiero 2011-05-20 04:19:57)

Topic: Multiface I "detected" but not operating

Hi,

I know the Multiface I is an ancient product which is no longer supported, but any ideas are welcome from anybody.

In March, I flashed using the HDSPe FUT while connected to a laptop on Win7x64.  It worked fine.  I then transported it home, where I have a desktop (with PCI card) running WinXP 32 bit.  When I connected the Multiface, the red light stayed on, and said "Detected,"  but the usual spaces in the control panel remained blank.  The Multiface also did the same thing in the laptop with Win7x64, where previously it worked fine.

I then updated drivers, and re-flashed using the regular (non-HDSPe) FUT.  No change.  I always use the Aux power, so that's not the issue.  I then tried to install the *old* Windows XP drivers on the site from 2005, and Windows refused to let me, saying it there was not a better driver there.

Yes, I did power down completely each time I flashed the device.

Interestingly, although I own a Hammerfall HDSP Multiface I, when I open the Settings in hdsp32.exe, it says it's a "Digiface" which I believe is a different product. See here:

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d43/I … cted-1.jpg

Device Manager, however, does report the device as "RME Hammerfall DSP."  But when I select Sounds and Audio Devices, only "Digiface ADAT" comes up.

Also notice the Sample Rate - which has a proper dropdown menu to select all the available rates - just says "ock" when I select one.

Please help if you can.  Not only can I not afford more gear, I have gigs at the end of the month.  I own a digital multimeter and a good soldering iron, and have fixed older mixers in the past.  Can I try using an old FUT?  If so, which one is suggested, and where can I find it?

Much thanks in advance.

2 (edited by Hiero 2011-05-20 05:41:56)

Re: Multiface I "detected" but not operating

Device still does not work, but I made some progress.  I deleted the hardware, rescanned for changes, then installed the driver from a list (to try to avoid it picking any Digiface hardware).  After rebooting, the device now is properly named in Sound and Audio Settings, but still is called "Digiface(1)" in HDSP32.exe Settings.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d43/I … cted-2.jpg

When I try to play back audio using the Multiface as the device, I can see my audio player literally displaying every sample at approximately 1 sample per second; I can see it in the graphic EQ visualization. 

This seems like a software problem to me.  If I could just force it to see the right clock rates, and not think it's a Digiface, I think it would operate correctly.

Edit 1:  I tried driver version 3.0.5.6, from 2007.  I also used the flash tool that came with those drivers.  It did "erazing" and flashed to the same firmware, version 17.  Behavior is the same, although the hdsp32.exe did report my hardware as a "Multiface" instead of a "Digiface." 

I then tried version 3.0.8.5, and it reverted back to describing my hardware as a "Digiface."  Hmm.

Edit 2:  I had not installed all drivers correctly.  Now I have a proper 3.0.8.5 driver set.  The device is correctly listed in all settings pages, but still does not work:

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d43/I … cted-3.jpg

Red light stays on, says "Detected."

Please test another cable to the MF.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Hello,

i have the same problem as Hiero.
HDSP PCI Card &
Multiface recognized as DigiFace...

I did change the cable, yet it didnt help.

Best regards,

Kay

Hammerfall DSP PCI Rev.1.2
Multiface
Logic 5 smile

Daniel,

Thank you for your response.  I tried a verified working firewire cable, but the unit behaved the same.  I also tried re-flashing again with new cable, still no change.  In fact, it now says "Digiface" again in the Settings, whereas when I last wrote, I had managed to change that by deleting all drivers, rebooting, and reinstalling.  Any other ideas?

Sean

Hello together,

i found 4 of the 6 pins of the Firewire host connector socket to be pushed in about 2-3mm.
Any chance, that there lies the error source?

Kay

Multiface
Logic 5 smile

No, that's standard.  Raised pins 1 and 2 are PWR & GND.  I suppose my aux power supply could have malfunctioned... but the light is on and when I plug it in to the Multiface, the LED changes from a dim red strobe to solid on, so I don't think that's it.  If you and I have hardware component problems, it's odd that both of ours broke in the same way at around the same time.  Anyways, I would hate to start soldering on this thing.  But I have a gig in 10 days, and really need an audio interface.  If its a broken Zener, I might be able to replace that.  Daniel or Matthias?

Thanks

Any news about that issue?

Multiface
Logic 5 smile

9 (edited by Hiero 2011-05-29 18:58:10)

nope.  I think I'm going to open it up and start messing with the multimeter. There's nothing else to do but throw it away.  I have to admit that I'm a little bummed about this.  I had it for three years, then it had the famous underpower problem.  Then it broke for real, and I sent it back to Germany.  They repaired for a very small fee ($100 USD).  ***EDIT - the following statement is not correct *** --> [But this time, I doubt they take it, since all the literature says "Multiface I no longer supported."]

Matthias, Daniel, et al, do you publish schematics on the power diagram for the Multiface I?

That is nonsense. We repair any RME product, no matter how old it is. As a detection problem like yours can come from the cable drivers on both ends (box or PCI card) you would have to send both in for check. You then get an estimation of costs before something is done.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks Matthias, and apologies if my mischaracterization was in any way offputting.  I'll send it in through my distributor, unless you say otherwise.

i got a similar problem, anyone solved? if yes, how?
tnx.