1 (edited by Jamil 2011-05-20 01:40:52)

Topic: Fireface UFX Status

I have just a few questions on the current status of the UFX.

First, are the drivers for this now stable for firewire usage?  I recall reading various issues with firewire in the past with a work-around being to use USB instead.  Have all of these issues been addressed by now?

Second, are there specific issues related to the UFX and Sonar?  My FF800 works with almost no issues under Sonar X1.  Does the UFX introduce additional issues under Sonar X1?  The only issue I experience with the FF800 under Sonar is changing the sample rate and/or bit rate without restarting Sonar.  The fix, of course, is to simply not make these changes or to simply restart Sonar after making such a change and saving your project.

Finally, is there a planned schedule for hardware revisions to FFs?  I know that the FF800 underwent such a hardware revision that forced earlier adopters to ship their hardware back to RME for modification.  This incurred a cost for those with hardware outside of warranty. Has the hardware for the UFX had a revision at all yet? (I would guess no since the product is still fairly new).

Thank you.

Re: Fireface UFX Status

Hello,

the UFX does not have any FW stability issues per se.
And if the FF800 works well with Sonar, there is no reason for issues with the UFX.

We are not planning hardware modifications as per schedule...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

3 (edited by russwsoper 2011-05-20 17:27:14)

Jamil,
There have been several RME / Sonar users experiencing various audio driver loss issues as outlined in this thread:
http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=10706

Timur did extensive testing and experienced audio loss issues with Sonar X1b which didn't occur in X1a. I'm unclear if the issue is with RME's driver or Sonar, however I've switched to the latest beta USB driver and have had better results with Sonar X1b x64 build 246 on Win 7 x64.

Hope that helps.
Russ

Thank you for your replies.

I did review some of the previous threads on the Sonar issues.  What was not clear to me was whether or not the issues were UFX specific.

What I did read on a Cakewalk forum was that some issues such as arming delays were much worse when connected with firewire.  The poster had stated that USB was more stable, which was related to my first question.  There are even a few threads on this forum complaining of the UFX's firewire stability.  I just was not certain if improvements had been made in this area via firmware and driver updates, or if this may be a hardware limitation of some such.

I would much prefer to use firewire over USB, but I do have a need for DSP effects too.

Sounds like you may have been reading my posts on the Sonar forum (my screen name on that forum is karma1959).  I don't know whether the underlying issues are with RME or IMO, I don't think it's a hardware issue at all, but instead a software issue between certain issues of Sonar interacting with the RME FW driver.