1 (edited by dualmono 2011-05-16 03:28:11)

Topic: Which interface to choose?

Hey there,

in the product comparison on the RME website one can see the Fireface UC and the Fireface 400 have the same features. So the only difference (besides the USB/Firewire interfacing port) seems to be the price. All electrical data seems to be the same (THD, Dynamic range AD/DA, Crosstalk etc)
I'm wondering which interface to choose. HeadScratch
Would it be better to choose the UC for using it with an 21"iMac and a 2009 MacbookPro?
Will the firewire technology 'soon' be dismissed by computer manufacturers and usb still has a future, so it would be better to choose the UC?
Some people seem to choose the interface according to the plug quality; apparently the Mac firewire socket isn't the most confidence inspiring, any thoughts on that?
Any issues with firewire and/or USB which should be taken into consideration?
I had friends who blew their firewire on their ~2005 Powerbook G4 three times in a row (repaired it 3 times, then gave up) using an RME fireface 800. Could be due to bad handling, I guess. Is firewire more prone to fail when handled incorrectly?
Is firewire 'more dangerous' to use, i.e. errors in handling can blow the whole logic board (firewire 30V max/1.5A max opposed to USB: 500-900mA@5V)?
Cable lengths?
Heat developement and dissipation?
Anything?

Thank you for your help,
dualmono

Re: Which interface to choose?

My experience with firewire (I loathe it) is one of the reasons I gave RME's USB products the eye.

If I needed more i/o, I would have gone with the UC over the Babyface.

So far the Babyface is a rock compared to my MOTU.

If there were no RME USB offereings out there, I'd even go with PCIe i/f, while I waited for all the Thunderbolt units to start entering the market.
OMMV. wink

QuBe.

Thanks for the response.
I think USB will be it then. Unless someone else comes up with counter-arguments.
wink

Just for the record.
I meanwhile found out some important things to consider (which my initial question aimed at):

* The Fireface UC can't be bus powered. So no field recording with the laptop where there is no power available.
-> The Fireface 400 can be bus powered.

* The Fireface UC is only compatible with Intel Macs. This may seem strange, but thats that. RME might have lost some customers in that appartment, but what can you do.
-> The Fireface 400 is PPC and Intel compatible.

These can be deal breakers for some people (including me). Would be nice if things like this would show up in the product comparison table, I guess.

Anyway, thanks for your help, QuBe.