Topic: Re-order 2 Hdsp(e)

Hello!

I've never had problems with my Digiface and Hdsp AES in windows+ Nuendo.
Now, in Protools 9-windows, I have a problem. I'm loosing the last 10 channels.
It´s not a big problem for me IF the first card is AES , not DIGIFACE.

How can I change the order of this 2 cards? I've already change the pci slots, no result. Always Digiface is the first one.

Thanks in advance

Fernando Nunes

Windows 7- 64b
Nuendo 5
Protools 9
Digiface
Hdsp AES
Fireface 800

Re: Re-order 2 Hdsp(e)

Try disabling the Digiface before starting Pro Tools and then enabling it. Does it change the order?

Hi Timur.

It doesn't work. Protools only recognizes AES-32 if I follow your suggestion.

4 (edited by Timur 2011-05-22 21:23:35)

Can the Pro Tools preferences/settings be deleted to start from scratch? In that case you may be able to start only with the AES to make PT detect and save it, then quit PT and turn on the Digiface to have that detected afterwards.

This is a bit a shot in the dark, because I do not know how PT comes up with an order anyway (maybe it's just alphabetically).

The reason for some I/Os missing is PT's limit of 32 channels I assume (don't you even lose 12 channels, not just 10?). You may be able to work around that by using double-speed rates of 88.2/96 kHz. This will cause the Digiface's ADAT channels to be cut in half (24 -> 12) and the total no. of channels to be 16 (if I counted right).

16 Digiface + 16 AES = 32 = happy Pro Tools user! wink

I think this is an issue in the rme driver, or in Windows configuration, not in Protools.

I'm loosing 10 channels at 48k : Digiface (3xADAT + Spdif) + AES-32 ( 16) = 42
Working in double rate helps in new projects, but I have to work in a lot of projects at 48k.

I hope there's a simple solution at windows level.HeadScratch

Seems like the RME driver sets the order by product ID in increasing order. I checked the order of my USB devices and it's set at:

UC -> Babyface -> UFX

Each of these devices has a product ID number that identifies it as what it is:

3FC5: Fireface UC
3FC7: Babyface
3FC8: Fireface UFX

I tried shifting driver identification around in the Registry and changing the order of how the interfaces are installed, but that has no impact on how the RME ASIO driver orders combined devices into one driver.

The enumeration is done by Windows and/or the motherboard.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

8 (edited by vinark 2011-05-23 13:43:11)

On most motherboards (bios) there is an option to let the enumeration be done by the motherboard or the OS. that might give different results and maybe even the right one.
Here it is called plug and play OS (on/off).

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

According to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\firefaceu64\Enum the numbering is in the order of when the interfaces have been connected (which makes sense). But even when I connect the UFX before the UC and thus get a lower enumeration number the UFX is still listed after the UC for both ASIO and WDM.

I played around with Jack Audio as a viable workaround today, but it's a bit complicated and unreliable on Windows. The easier workaround would be to use ASIO4ALL (A4A) and run your single-speed projects through that.

The good thing about A4A is that you can manually choose which I/Os to use. So you can turn off all I/Os you don't need on the Digiface and choose those 32 you want to use. One drawback is that Outputs 1+2 may be identified as interleaved 8 outputs, which means you have to turn those off (else you get +8 channels instead of +2 in PT).

If you need any help configuring A4A let me know, but I can only test it with Firewire and USB RME devices at the moment.