Topic: BSOD - Bluescreen with FF800/Win7x64 just recently starting to occour

Hi there,..

I've had the FF800 for over 4 years now.. not really having many problems with it.. and if I remember correctly I'd say I had no more than 2 Blue Screens in that time..
now it's most likely that each time I power up my pc with the FF800 connected and powered up, that it will result in a Blue Screen.
When I turn on the PC without the FF800 powered up, then everything is fine..
turning on the FF800: BS within a few seconds.
I think this started about a week ago.. may there been some Windows updates messing with my system ? Anyone else experiencing anomalies recently ?
I might link to a dumb file if you guys can work yourself through that.. if it helps ? (need to get home 1st in a couple of hours)
May a reinstallation of the rme drivers be worth a try ? (latest version installed btw.)
thanks
Frank

Re: BSOD - Bluescreen with FF800/Win7x64 just recently starting to occour

Can you test the unit with another computer? Or try another cable?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

yes, good idea..
I'll try that tonight on my laptop
thanks
Frank

ok,
I tried with my laptop last night, had to use another fw-cable and it worked - no bluescreen
I tried several times with my daw and it would always cause a blue screen whenever the ff800 was powered on.
between all the cables I actually found another fw-cable and while I was messing with device manager and win7-sound-configuration for a while, my daw actually bootet without a bluescreen.
I wasn't too much in the mood to reboot another time.. so I don't know how convinient my machine will work tonight or in the future.
Good to know that the unit isn't defective, I don't think that the fw-cable is broken (as it has a save and fixed place at my working space), probably best to go for a new win7-installation before I invest in a new daw.
anyway,.. thanks for the help so far.
Frank

Also make sure to use the "High Performance" power-profile of Windows (default is "Balanced" which includes a problematic option for FW).

thanks for that,.. good to know
I'll change that back to "High Performance"

this is really strange..
I can use the FF800 within Sonar X1 (Asio), but I can't use the FF800 to play sound within f.e. MediaPlayer.
Actually I had it working for a couple of minutes after I got home from work,.. at some time Mediaplayer wouldn't play back one of my songs. "
(...can not play back the file due to a problem with the audiodevice. there might be no audiodevice installed, the audiodevice is in use, or it's not working")
In "Hardware and Sound" the FF800 appears.. but I can't even play a testtone:"Error at Playback of Testtone"
I can choose my internal soundcard as a playback device and it would play immediately.. switching back to the FF800 and silence..
at least I didn't have a bluescreen yet.
Could this be some MME issue ?
In Taskmanager the drivers appear as "Fireface.exe *32" & "Firefacemix.exe *32". Are there no 64-bit drivers available yet ?
hm,.. I might switch back to XPx32 or buy a complete new daw.. frustrating..

specs:
Asus P5B Deluxe
Windows 7x64 Home

The drivers are 64-bit, only the two trayicon applications (Settings and Totalmix) are 32-bit.

When Mediaplayer failed working, did a restart not solve that issue?

Call me tomorrow and we could set up a remote session to look at the system.
(regular support phone)

Regards,
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Thanks Daniel for that generous offer.. I really appreciate that !!!
I might have come up with a solution though,.. the FF800 is working great again since yesterday evening.
A week ago I installed a trial version of "AnyDVD",.. I removed the "start at windowsstart"-option, cause AnyDVD would pop up with at least 2 messages during startup. I then forgot about the software and didn't think about it anymore. (not to mention that I did not see any relation between the software and my bluescreens/ff800 problem)
I deinstalled AnyDVD yesterday evening and ever since I had no trouble (yet) with my FF800, hopefully it will stay that way.
Again,.. thanks for all the help ! I've been very pleased with my RMEFF800 (and the octamics) in the past, I really appreciate the professional responses from RME support - it just all fits together.
thank you!
Frank

AnyDVD HD here and never had a problem. Might be the specific combination with your DVD drive.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME