Topic: Mac pro - PCI express - Multiface = noise

Hi there,

I have a first generation mac pro (1,1, 2006, 9 GB ram, 2,66 dual core intel xeon)
I just bought an HDSPE PCI Express card in order to re-use my multiface 1
It works both under MAC OSX (Snow leopard) and WIN XP BUT when I move a window or if I zoom inside one I have interference noise that are really annoying.
I have compared with my old PC, same multiface but with a PCI card, absolutely NO noise.
I tried to plug the mac pro through a furman power conditionner, no success
tried to remove the earth (220 V), no success
tried to change the PCI express card in another port, no success

I think it should be related to the video card, mine is a ATY Radeon X1900, 512 MB.
The noise are in two steps if I can say so
1) when I move a window (even If I place the mouse on the icon bar below)
2) when I raise the volume to the max then I can hear all kind of interference that I didnt have with my old PC

RME Driver under mac is version 2.77

Any idea ....

I dont want to sell the whole setup and go to a PC setup ...

Any help really welcome

Re: Mac pro - PCI express - Multiface = noise

One of the noises I am experiencing is when I move my mouse.  VERY annoying!  I believe we have the same video card as well.

Even if the volume is low or put to zero, I can hear the noise.
I tried to reboot with the PCI express card plugged but with the multiface not plugged, then no noise anymore
I tried with another firewire card (ESI Quatafire) = no noise at all
Really boring that I can not use my multiface smoothly ...
I am wondering if all that noise will also be recorded ....
and as I mix outside the box, sure I will get it in the end ...
Looks like it is a power issue, maybe to plug the multiface via its adaptator may help but I sold it with the RME Express card (I planned to use a macbook pro before)

and I tried to change the cable with the one provided in the box = no success
and no my PCI eCard is not the list of the one with problems ...
I begin to think that there will be nothing I can do ...
maybe powering the RME via an adaptator but I will wait for an input on this thread before doing wrong manipulations.
Even while typing on the keyboard I can hear interferences ....
There is a bug here ...
I bought a Mac (and an quite expensive one) to avoid problems ..... and here I am ... sad((((

5 (edited by pulse 2011-05-25 09:07:52)

I also try to reflash the PCIe Card even if it was up to date ... ==> no success

The point is I mix with an external mixer and dont want to have all this noise x 16 channels ...

You don't need the original adapter to power the Multiface box. Just look at the box imprint or the manual which adapters (voltages, amperage) are supported and use any one you can find in that range.

okay thanks but I just red other threads on this forum about problems with other RME PCIe cards connected in my mac pro, they ALL get interference problems ...
okay it was in 2009, so where are we about this now in 2011?
My PCIe card is not listed in the faulty ones ... but I can definitly not work with such noise ...
Will try the tip given with the scotch on the card to avoid metal contacts with the case and also the adapter thing but I really dont like the way it goes ...
will have also to try it without video card to see if it is also a solution ...

I am quite sure that it is related to the video card as:
- some are tweaking on the windows side with acceleration parameters and it changes things
- the video card and RME are sharing a common bus ... the PCI express one ...

I just regret that RME is not testing their stuff with professional stuff like mac pro ...

Okay I will do my own support as RME remains silent ...

So I tried the following:
- removing the video card = still noise when moving the mouse
- putting some isolating scotch on the PCI e card = worse
- using DVI-VGA adapter =  still noise

and finally ....
- I took my netgear modem adaptater 12 V DC 1A, plug it in the multiface  and ........................ the noise of the mouse was reduced by 95% and the general noise was gone !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So that's it if you got noise with your multiface just use an external adapter it will do the trick smile
Now I just have to go and buy a 12 V DC but I red 800 mA is the minimum and it would be better to have a 1,5 A so ...

Endly I got it smile
To be sure of my result I did a comparison with my old PC, the rest of the noise is the same. (on the PC I can also hear the HD making little noise when the volume is set to the maximal), so I can say I found the solution!

pulse wrote:

I just regret that RME is not testing their stuff with professional stuff like mac pro ...

What make you think we don't?

pulse wrote:

So that's it if you got noise with your multiface just use an external adapter it will do the trick smile

This may have been a solution in your case, but it is not THE solution... There may be various reasons.

You never mentioned where the noise occured exactly, whether you used balanced cabling, etc. Most likely you would have observed no noise with only headphones connected to the MF, no other audio cables.

This is certainly not an issue of the MF itself.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

10 (edited by pulse 2011-05-26 08:46:04)

Thanks Daniel for your input.

My sentence was a bit provocative (but it worked in the end smile

The thing is : I red lot of threads about people complaining about RME PCI express cards in mac pro giving the same kind of noise I have (not only with multiface) that's why I was thinking you didnt go too much into detailed tests with the mac pro side ...

The noise is coming through my speakers. The noise is set of two things:
- big background sound when volume of the mixer and monitors (dynaudio BM15A) set to the maximum. There I can hear lot of noise coming from computer actions ... Compared to what I obtain with the old PC it is day and night (the PC is set with a standard PCI card)
- noise when selecting a window and moving it, or when I pass the mouse on the different icons in the dock (with the growing effect), or when I zoom with CTRL. This noise is also present if the master volume on the mixer (mackie 24/8/2) is set to its minimum

I have a windows session on a separate HD in the mac pro via bootcamp and the noise is still present, so it is not software related.

I use unbalanced cables, I didnt check with only headphones and all other cables unplugged, but can do it if you like ...

I red through the net and it seems that PCI express busses are really noisy compared to PCI standard busses.

I come with the same conclusion.

When I put some scotch (rubber) to try to isolate the PCI express card from the mac pro it was even worse (I had like bleeps ... great for minimal though smile

The point is : if lot of people have that kind of problems with PCI express cards (as red on your forum) why is there not a real solution? I am lucky enough to have a multiface and being able to use an adapter but for AIO users I can imagine the frustration.

I just have now to order an RME adapter and I will be safe ...

That being said, I am using this multiface for over 15 years, well since you release it and it is a really good product and I can only clap clap to adapt the interfaces so that the multiface can still be used (express card, PCIe ... mmm thunderbolt???)

and sorry to have been a bit aggressive but you really get crazy when you got such problems with such high value material ...

peace

PHil