Topic: Syncing a Fireface UFX to an Octamic D

Hi there,
my UFX arrived just today. Before that I used a Fireface 800 with the Octamic D and had it synced via ADAT (the Octamic was set to internal, 44.1 kHz).
Now I want the UFX to be the masterclock because I have to switch samplerates sometimes and I don't want to switch off the Octamic everytime I use let's say 88,1.

So I have a "wordclock" BNC cable, connect the WC out of the Octamic with the WC Input on the UFX. I press the "word term" button on the Octamic because it is the last device in the chain. Also I set those small white switches so it's on SYNC: WC and EXT (Number 1 and 2 on the bottom, the other 4 switches are up).
In the Fireface USB settings I changed the Clock Source to Wordclock at first, but that doesn't work. I guess it's because that's only the right thing to do if I use an external Wordclock like the Big Ben? So it's now set to "internal" for the UFX software. Now everything works, but the Input Status says "Word Clock: No Lock" and then "ADAT1: Sync 44.1 kHz".
I expected the WC light on the UFX to light up and the "Input Status" to say "Word Clock: Sync"..

Now I'm wondering: Is this how it's supposed to be? Does the WC light only switch on when connected to an external WC device?

It's strange because when I pull the WC cable out, nothing happens.. but when I switch the Octamic off and on again there's just noise. Does that mean it synced via WC?

Thanks in advance!
Max

Re: Syncing a Fireface UFX to an Octamic D

The WC LED on the UFX does not light up when you use the output, it's an input sync indicator. As long as you see "Sync" for ADAT in, everything is fine.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Jeff wrote:

The WC LED on the UFX does not light up when you use the output, it's an input sync indicator. As long as you see "Sync" for ADAT in, everything is fine.

Thanks for the clarification Jeff. The Fireface UFX and TotalMix FX are absolutely great smile Love the LC display already.
Now I just have to decide whether to sell the FF800 or keep it as a backup interface / standalone AD-DA converter wink

forester-rec wrote:

Now I just have to decide whether to sell the FF800 or keep it as a backup interface / standalone AD-DA converter wink

That is a very wise idea....

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

forester-rec wrote:

...snip...
Now I want the UFX to be the masterclock because I have to switch samplerates sometimes and I don't want to switch off the Octamic everytime I use let's say 88,1.

So I have a "wordclock" BNC cable, connect the WC out of the Octamic with the WC Input on the UFX...snip...

Maybe I am ignorant but if you want the UFX to be master shouldn't the WC connections be the other way around?
Ie. UFX WC out to Octamic WC in?

edgehill wrote:

Maybe I am ignorant but if you want the UFX to be master shouldn't the WC connections be the other way around?
Ie. UFX WC out to Octamic WC in?

Of course - and the Octamic does not have Word Clock Out...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

7 (edited by forester-rec 2011-05-27 09:04:01)

Oops, sorry. I meant exactly the other way round of course. I guess it happened because the Octamic was lying on top of my rack so I connected it first and went downwards from there big_smile

Also I wrote 88.1 but meant 88.2 hmm I was on the go and obivously not very concentrated