Topic: Connection Turntable to RME FF-400

Before attempting to connect my Turntable to the Fireface 400, I wanted to get your input on this project.  My TT runs through a Cambridge Audio 640P Phono Pre Amplifier into my Parasound system.  Can I just plug the 640P into the inputs on the FF-400 or do I need some type of interface in between?

I've never seen RCA to 1/4 jacks before, is this a DIY construct?  If so, do I plug into inputs 3/4?

Any guidance on this would be most welcome.

Jim

Re: Connection Turntable to RME FF-400

Yes, just plug it in. I would use rear inputs 5/6 or 7/8 instead, if the input level is acceptable. The front inputs go through another preamp stage.

RCA to TS cables are available, or you can get adapters that have RCA female to TS male at your local Radio Shack-type store. If you set the FF400 rear inputs to -10 level, the gain staging should be correct for use with your preamp (but use whichever sensitivity works best for you).

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Jeff wrote:

Yes, just plug it in. I would use rear inputs 5/6 or 7/8 instead, if the input level is acceptable. The front inputs go through another preamp stage.

RCA to TS cables are available, or you can get adapters that have RCA female to TS male at your local Radio Shack-type store. If you set the FF400 rear inputs to -10 level, the gain staging should be correct for use with your preamp (but use whichever sensitivity works best for you).

Thanks Jeff.

Are the rear inputs not Balance inputs?  The outputs from the Cambridge are RCA (I suspect unbalance - not confirmed but isn't that the norm for RCA jacks).  If a RCA female to TRS 1/4 jack is acceptable then great.

Jim

The rear inputs are balanced. If you plug in TS (unbalanced 1/4") rather than TRS (balanced 1/4") cables, and set input sensitivity correctly, everything works as expected.

RCA is always unbalanced.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Jeff wrote:

The rear inputs are balanced. If you plug in TS (unbalanced 1/4") rather than TRS (balanced 1/4") cables, and set input sensitivity correctly, everything works as expected.

RCA is always unbalanced.

Works like a charm.  Clarity is unbelievable.  For those whom have not had the opportunity to dust off the old TT and connect through the FF400/800 (and for me playing back through a couple of Focal Twin6Be's), the effort is very well rewarded.  Sure shows the limits of CD's. 

Thank you Jeff for the help.  Now where did I put those old Beatles records smile.  Vinyl rocks.

My pleasure, enjoy!

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

hello, i would like to do the same and would appreciate some help too...
so i have my turntable, can i not run the phono from the tt straight into the spdif input on the ff400, or are they different formats or something. I was under the impression i could run a phono cable straight into these inputs and record? however been trying to do this with the tt and had no joy, even with just sending a cd player into the spdif channels via a phono cable ive also had no joy. i tried the cd player aswell as i know you need to preamp the signal from the tt but i was hoping the ff400 would have preamped it. if i need to get a phono pre for the tt thats fine but why can i not even send the cd player via phono into the spdif inputs? please help what am i doing wrong? HeadScratch

SPDIF is a digital input.... You can not connect analog gear to it.
You need a phono preamp and a cable adapter for TRS.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Ok i understand now, many thanks for the swift response!