Topic: HDSP 9652 and SSL Alpha: word clock connection problems

Hello,

I recently set up the new system with the RME 9652 and the SSL Alpha Link Madi AX

I'm connecting all 24 I/O via ADAT, using all three ports available on the two units

I've been having a problem setting the Alpha as master clock while everything is fine using the RME as master

So i decided to use BNC cable and connect the Word Clock, but here lies the rub

I had absolute no success with it, neither putting the Alpha nor the RME as master, the "EXT" light on the ALpha blinks and the two
just don't see each other.

When trying the Alpha as master BNC out into RME in
When trying the RME as master BNC out into Alpha in

brand new cable, 75ohm

I did select the word clock in the RME setting panel

Any idea?

thank you in advance

Re: HDSP 9652 and SSL Alpha: word clock connection problems

"the "EXT" light on the ALpha blinks and the two just don't see each other."

I think that means that you are trying to run the Alphalink as External.  You want it to be the master in your rig IMO (best to have you highest-quality AD/DA as your master clock).

I run my main Alphalink MADI AX as master at 44.1K, slave the second Alphalink AX over BNC WordClock, and "tee off" into the HDSP MADI card - and let it sync to Wordclock as well.  Works well over here (Alphalink #1 is the master)...

Double check the Alphalink's Wordclock settings - I recall I have to make a change on mine - but it's been a while since I set it up and I literally haven't had to think about it once since then.  The Alphalink's settings config are somewhat cryptic...

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

3 (edited by NewtoRME 2011-05-26 09:13:43)

Thanks randyman,

"(best to have you highest-quality AD/DA as your master clock)", that's why I wanted to have the SSL as master, or at least have the chance to try both (RME and SSL) and decide
But the weird thing is it blinks even when trying to set the RME as master.. shouldn't at least that one sync? It seems like the WC is completely disabled in the Alpha.., maybe there's a sequence boot to follow that I'm missing? Unplug the ADAT first and then try to make the two see&lock and then plug the ADAT cables?

But I can't make the SSL master via ADAT because is causing glitches in the first 8 channels, and overall BNC, again, is better..

So, you say in order  to put the SSL as master i need to set it up in its [i]cryptic[/i] internal option/pages/lights... cryptic is an euphemism big_smile
I read the manual for a couple of hours to try to understand how to *read* the firmware version I had lol..

Anyway, I've been talking with SSL and sent them a mail about this, maybe they will indicate me which the option to select in the Alpha to get it as master, thank to you now
at least I know is not set up like that, meaning, when WC is connected I need to select it as master and is not like that by default

One more thing, you say "tee off" into the HDSP (no madi, I have the 9652), not sure if I got it right but I do have no "tee", I don't have termination because RME it's terminated
with the jumper in the expansion board, and the SSL needs no termination. Do I have to take or move the jumper in the RME?
thanks!

The hdsp should sync to adat also on the first 8 channels. (mine does with my adi8, a FW1804 and a 1212m, so 3 ports used, ADI is master) and adat does have lower jitter then wordclock (although that is irrelevant when the ssl is master), wordclock is easier to distribute and universal, but not better (it runs at a lower clock then adat and needs to be up-sampled). RME guarantees the best jitter suppression on adat.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

Thanks vinark,

so, in my case should I lose the BNC cable and run sync the RME and SSL via ADAT? Only thing is in that way i can't make the Alpha as master,
glitch&pops and digital weirdness on the first 8 channels, while everything's ok if I set the RME as master.. Now I'm sure there won't be so much difference
if I set the RME as master and the SSL as slave but still, I'd like to be able to pick instead of being forced to use a configuration

Funny because SSL rep said to me WordClock is inherently better than the ADAT embedded clock, even if you use only two devices, there is less jitter with WordClock.
I'm sure he was talking about the SSL tho'

I am running only the RME + Alpha at the moment, so choosing the BNC was because A) was suppose to be better, B) because I couldn't set up the Alpha as master when connecting the ADAT

hmm

There is no reason the ssl shouldn´t be able to be master over adat. Have you tried selecting any off all 3 adat ports as master in the rme pannel and see if that helps? If the problem is alwasy with adat 1 there is something wrong there at either the rme side or the ssl. If you swap cables (so for example adat ssl1 to rme 2) and it remains at adat 1 it´s the rme, if it switches with switching the cables it´s the ssl. Dit you try all adat outs of the ssl separately?

Vincent, Amsterdam

Actually no, I didn't think about using Adat 2 or 3 as clock sync, when using the Alpha as master, nor I tried to swap the cables in the I/O as you described
I will try that today

I know there is no reason the SSL shouldn't be able to sync thru adat but when is set as master, despite everything looks ok in the RME panel (all sync'd)
the first 8 channels act weirdly, I get feedback loops when nothing is playing, in simple projects like 2 tracks + master track, I close PT and the feedbacks disappear
(everything in the analog domain as been tested and result perfect, so nothing wrong on that side)

BUT, the feedbacks are inconsistent, meaning, sometimes they're there and sometimes they disappear,without changing anything.. In different PT projects (new ones, created for the only purpose of testing, so default I/O setting and everything..)

I will try swapping the cable, altho', I just got an answer from SSL, I was making a mistake when trying to set the Alpha as master with BNC cable selecting "EXT" as clock source, while I have to set it as "INT", I misinterpreted something written in the SSL manual..

I'll do some tests in few hours and report, thank you!

Ok, here some results:

SSL as master now works via ADAT, no problems, no glitches, the feedback loops were a I/O setting in pro tools

So I can actually use the SSL as master via ADAT.

But the word clock.. no way to make the two see each other with the BNC cable.

SSL says I have to set the Alpha to "internal" so use WC as master, which I did, set the RME as autosync in "Clock mode"
set word clock in "pref sync ref" but the sync check still shows "no lock" in the word clock line, while adat is still "lock"

Auto Sync Ref tho' always show ADAT no matter what.. I sense there is a setting in the Alpha to make it send the clock thru BNC
which should be by default (as the manual says) but obviously is not.. and as Randyman mentioned before..

Problem is, the "cryptic" menu/binarylights of the Alpha are seriously hard to read and set.. I cannot for the life of me find how to set it in the Alpha
If someone knows.. it'd be much appreciated, it seems stupid to have the BNC cable sitting on the floor because of this hmm

thanks

Settings are correct, make sure you are connected to WC In (by the LED) on the 9652. The LED should light up green when valid WC input is detected.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

10 (edited by NewtoRME 2011-05-26 19:11:31)

That's the point, I checked the RME manual to make sure the I was connecting it right, it doesn't light up, so I assume the SSL is not sending any clock signal hmm
which would make sense for the "no lock" in the word clock line of the setting panel

Setting up wordclock isn´t 100% easy and also easier to mess up (termination, impedance, shielding, bad cable etc), so if the adat works stick with that (lightpipe is rather foolproof unless you use extreme cable lengths like +10m, then you need the best cables). Since the SSL is the master, even if adat was prone to more jitter (which it isn´t with rme), it is irrelevant cause all conversions are done by the ssl.

Vincent, Amsterdam

It seems like it, Alpha's setting is not exactly intuitive to read..

Anyway I know SSL doesn't need termination,
and the RME has the jumper on the board (which to be honest I don't really know if I should move it or not to terminate it.. <-- hold on: it might be the problem??)

Impedance is 75ohm cable, brand new, but I'll change it today just to make sure

Yes the adat works, but still.. I'm also planning on getting another Alpha soon, it might be a good idea to find a way to set the WC up

I read another 3d here on the board, and I read someone had luck syncing the two setting the WC out to 2FS even if it was running at 44.100..
well I figured out the menu and later on today Ima try that, and see how that goes.

The strangest thing is the RME light is dead when I connect the Alpha which (according to SSL support) always send a valid WC signal from the BNC unless is set as slave..

I'll also try to set the RME as master and send the WC to see if the Alpha receive it

Remember if you use 2 SSL´s, they of course need to be in sync (through WC) but you could still sync the 2(?) RME´s through adat. Just one short high quality WC cable between the SSL´s. If the 2 SSL´s are in sync, so will the 2 slaved RME´s.
I understand you want to get to the bottom of this WC issue. And yes if the termination is set wrong, that might be the cause.

BTW in theory you could also have a master SSL with a slave RME, slave the second RME through SPDIF and slave the second SSL to the second RME through adat.
It is difficult to predict what will give the best results.

Vincent, Amsterdam

Try setting the RME card to Internal clock, and connect WC out to WC in (loopback) on the 9652 card. If the green LED lights up (& WC in shows Sync in settings) then you know the cable is good and the 9652 is operating as expected.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Hi Jeff, thank you

Tested it, result: the RME is ok, the cable is ok. It locks, light lits up, panel shows WC is lock here's the screencap

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/192/goodk.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

So the problem is on the Alpha side, which gives me shivers behind my back because it's 6 days old and if it's faulty I have to send it back to UK
which will cause downtime in studio..

I'm waiting SSL to tell me if there's a way I can test the Alpha WC, meantime I noticed something:

when I connect the BNC the AutoSync Ref input in the RME panel setting stays on ADAT1

is that because there's no WC signal from the SSL? If there would be, would it sync automatically to it or would I have to do something to make it
switch from ADAT to WC?

It would go to WC automatically (if selected in pref. sync ref, like in your attached picture) and SyncCheck would show either lock or sync if there was a signal.

OK stupid question but are you 100% sure you used the SSL WC output and the RME input? Is there a way to reset the SSL to default settings?

Vincent, Amsterdam

17 (edited by NewtoRME 2011-05-27 18:19:24)

Absolutely sure, I checked a billion times.. hmm

Unfortunately unless is some internal setting in the Alpha i think I'll have to call it faulty and send it back

What if I put the Alpha In into its own Out like I did with the RME? there's no light tho' and i couldn't tell if there's WC signal right?

SSL customer service's last mail called it faulty, damn..

I think I have to send it back and have it replaced

NewtoRME wrote:

Absolutely sure, I checked a billion times.. hmm

Unfortunately unless is some internal setting in the Alpha i think I'll have to call it faulty and send it back

What if I put the Alpha In into its own Out like I did with the RME? there's no light tho' and i couldn't tell if there's WC signal right?

If you put the rme out into the ssl in is there a light on the ssl? If yes should also work with ssl out to in.

Vincent, Amsterdam

20 (edited by NewtoRME 2011-05-27 19:03:13)

This is the last mail from SSL:

You cannot do a loopback test on the Alpha-Link's WordClock connections. This is because if you set it to lock to incoming clock (EXT), it will wait for a valid clock before transmitting a synced signal. Chicken and egg...

It may be a valid test for the RME card, though I don't know how... well, I guess their control software can analyze the incoming clock and display its status, even while the card uses its own generator.

The only way to prove a fault on the Alpha-Link is to feed WordClock to another, "known to work" device.

Other than this, we'll know it is faulty if a replacement Alpha-Link solves the problem

Problem is there is no light on the SSL as in the RME that shows if there's a signal coming or not, so the only way to test it is to connect the SSL out to RME, set the RME as slave and the Alpha to "INT", this way it should send the WC and the light on the RME should light up, but it doesn't.

Other way is to connect the RME out to SSL in and set the RME as master (I'm going thru this just in case I'm missing something stupid..), the RME panel should show the WC lock in both cases, but instead it shows no lock.

It really seems like the Alpha BNC is dead, which is very, very strange

When I connect the BNC and set the Alpha to "INT" and the RME panel to sync to Word Clock, it keeps getting the WC from the ADAT, and no light on the RME is popping up.
At some point I even unplugged all the 3 ADAT connections, and I had ONLY the BNC cable connecting the two (9652 and Alpha) and nothing changed.

All the connection and the cable swapping of course have been done turning everything off before unplugging and/or plugging in cables of any sort, whether it was BNC or ADAT
I've even tried to swap BNC I/O just in case - I know crazy - the labeling was wrong.. loosing hope a bit

21 (edited by vinark 2011-05-27 19:06:13)

Did you find  a reset to factory defaults for the alpha, just in case it is a setting that´s wrong.

Before declaring it dead, isn´t there any other device with a wc in anywhere.

Vincent, Amsterdam

22 (edited by NewtoRME 2011-05-27 19:12:18)

I didn't mess with the internal setting of the Alpha, I only today tried what I read another used did, which if I don't remember wrong was to set the WC out to 2Fs,
but I did that after studying the manual for two hours, making sure I got how to change that ok, and then put it back how it was.
Aside from that, I didn't change anything in the Alpha setting.
But with that said, I didn't see any mention of a "factory reset" in the Alpha manual, which is what I'd've tried.

I wrote the guy at the store where I bought the SSL, which is an official dealer, super nice guy and he's asking a tech friend of him @ SSL, I told him that
I really have hard time believing the unit is faulty, just the WC? I don't know, don't ask me why but I sense, just a feeling, that is an internal setting because the unit
runs perfectly otherwise, I might be wrong, but.. Anyway, I told him that before sending it back and have it replaced I'll do any test I'm suggested to do (even because the unit is already racked and PATCHED! 96 points.. I really don't look forward doing it again..)

So I think he might come back at me with something like that, some sort of factory reset or some option to try.. I really hope so

EDIT: unfortunately I don't have any other WC unit in the studio.

23 (edited by NewtoRME 2011-05-27 19:14:37)

What about the termination on the RME? I bought the card used and I don't know where the jumper is suppose to be..
If it's in the "wrong" place, would the loop test still be valid?

I (stressed I) Would certainly test it with the switch the other way, even when that would be unterminated.

Vincent, Amsterdam

Look at the picture printed on the PCB of the daughter card, this shows the jumper in the terminated postion (as related to the notched corner, compare to the white outline on the jumper).

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

26 (edited by NewtoRME 2011-05-27 19:59:20)

lets take this picture for example, I'm not in studio right now and I can't check it hmm

is this one in the picture terminated? Anyways, I will swap it and try regardless yes, but just out of curiosity

http://shrani.si/f/3u/Hr/XxyvhHt/rme1.jpg

Can't tell for sure from here, the printing around the jumper is in a shadow. But I think this one is terminated.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

28 (edited by vinark 2011-05-27 21:08:16)

LOL, unterminated, look at the picture on the pcb right lower corner above germany LOL

OOPS you said that the post above, LOL about myself

Entschuldigung.....

Vincent, Amsterdam

Don't assume the orientation is always the same as it appears, the notched corner in the drawing is there for a reason. smile

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

30 (edited by NewtoRME 2011-05-27 22:37:25)

Ok I got it now, thanks guys

Now i understand the picture above the "germany" writing

I will check out how mine is set and in any case I will swap it and try.. I won't hurt trying anyway

Just so I know what I can or can't expect (I hate having to wait tomorro to try this..) would the wrong position of the jumper cause the problem? I sense the answer is no...

Just a note: the WC input of the 9652 is very sensitive, especially in unterminated setting (given yours is not broken/unsensitive). If you see nothing, not even a LOCK, then it would mean there is zero signal coming in. Now to check the WC out of the SSL you could connect it to a voltmeter in AC setting to see if there is something detected at all. If I knew my converters are robust (like the RME ones) I would even connect the WC out to an analog in, then record the signal at 96 kHz, then look at it in a wave editor. And so on...

Lots of ways to get some information even without an oscilloscope.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

you could connect it to a voltmeter in AC setting to see if there is something detected at all.

Granted that I barely know how a voltmeter looks like, I can try this one smile

So I set the voltmeter to AC and then touch the WC BNC out of the Alpha right?

I believe that should do.  Do your best not to short it with the test leads (should be robust enough to handle a short).

The SSL Wordclock should have no problems driving the RME card.  Granted I've only used mine with a RME Digiface and HDSP MADI card, but the SSL sync'd both units flawlessly, and *should* drive your 9652 if configured and terminated correctly (even with its finicky nature as MC mentioned).  The only SSL clocking issues I know about are with the Alphalink AX (the non-MADI version) with older firmware (has known ADAT clocking issues when slaved IIRC).

As mentioned earlier - I do vaguely recall changing one of the SSL's Wordclock settings on my Alphalink MADI AX upon initial configuration into my RME system - but it was a while back and it was a "set and forget" thing - so I honestly don't recall which specific parameter I changed.  I do know the SSL can work as system master over BNC WordClock when using ADAT and/or MADI as I run one in such a configuration (and a 2nd AlphaLink AX slave)...

Good luck! cool

2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX

Thanks guys

yeah I'm pretty sure it was your post that I read about it here before asking, and that's what I tried.
I checked my firmware first time I fired up the unit and it was 2.6 it should be ok, plus this one is the Madi AX so it should not be affected.

As for the test, to be honest I'm not only pretty clumsy but I also have bad luck lately so I'm a lil afraid if there's any risk to piss the unit with a short,
it's brand new and running the risk to invalidate the warranty kinda scares me.. hmm

I'm attaching here the (only) two pages of the manual that have some mention of the setting for the clock with the Madi AX,
maybe I am losing something and some of you can point out some option that i could try?

On this first page everything was "default" (the bold options) and the only thing I tried
was "LED 7 - WORDCLOCK OUTPUT AT 2Fs CLOC" instead of "Fs clock" which was the default,
so the green light was off, I turned it on. Pressed both "sample rate" and "clock" buttons to store,
waited, power cycled.
Then after noticing nothing changed, I put if back how it was.
There could be another option that I could try?

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/6765/sslo.jpg

On this one the only option regarding clock is the "ext" source,
which was on "wordclock" already by default, no reason to even try to change it
but most important I was using the "INT" setting, shouldn't have affected it (at least when in Master mode)

http://img804.imageshack.us/img804/4520/ssl2.jpg

Still waiting the SSL tech guy/my store to get back at me, most likely after the w/e..

35 (edited by vinark 2011-05-29 10:51:30)

You could try the phase angle at wordclock output.

If you ever find out the WC out is working and just not playing nice with the rme in, I still think if you have 2 alphas, syncing them through wordclock and the rme through adat is a 100% solution.

Vincent, Amsterdam

As for right now only one Alpha, but yes I will get a second unit after summer (big project coming in..)

So wordclock phase angle you say? I will try that, jeez, I'd try anything to make it work and not to have to
take the unit out of the rack and most important have to repatch everything..

You could try the phase angle at wordclock output.

According to their manual, "only a fixed 90° angle is actually used so this option has no effect." (note #7, page 17)
http://www.solid-state-logic.com/docs/X … a-Link.pdf

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

38 (edited by NewtoRME 2011-05-29 15:20:03)

Yes, I remember reading that as well now hmm

A lil led that shows if the unit is sending or not WC signal would have been useful now..

Someone suggested me the following, putting the SSL in the RME loop to check if the Alpha is at least passing WC,
what you guys say? So it would be BNC cable out of RME, in Alpha, out Alpha, in RME, with two BNC cables.

Could this tell me something? The RME light should light up if the SSL is passing WC right?

Should it pass WC?

Vincent, Amsterdam

That's what I was wondering, someone suggested this test but I actually don't know if I should expect Alpha to pass it
I know it won't looping it to its self solely (as SSL told me) but looping it with the RME which it's know to work..

I can try, I mean, as long as I'm sure it won't hurt the Alpha..

It can´t hurt the alpha and if it works you know the output is working, cause it is a newly generated clock, not a literal pass-through. But if it doesn´t you are not much the wiser, could still be the rme not understanding the clock. Did you try the termination switch on the rme side?

Vincent, Amsterdam

Ok got it,

not yet, I'm going in studio in a couple of hours and start testing, I'll also do the termination test

Result of the tests..

Moving the jumper (it was terminated) made the RME not lock to itself in the loop test, nor made it see or send the WC to the alpha.

Putting the jumper back in its original place made the RME lock to itself in the loop test, but still no communication with the Alpha.

I tried to put in the Alpha setting the source for the "EXT" sync to "wordclock" and tried that way to send the WC from the RME, but still no lock, no sync.

Now a very weird thing: the RME doesn't lock to itself anymore... I always turn everything completely off before hooking and unhooking cables, not only turn off but also turn off power supply(ies) and unhook the main power, so I now cannot explain why the RME doesn't lock itself when looping it.

It might be the cable at this point? this really starts to make no sense..

This "normal". After fiddling with one stupid detail for days, it suddenly all falls apart. That is the time to take a break, a long one.
And yes it could be the cable, which would be very annoying after all this (for you of course)

Vincent, Amsterdam

What can I say? All in all I'm happy as I can be right now:

http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/8445/hellyes.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Apparently not one, but TWO brand new cables were gone bad

Not the cable itself, the connectors..

Anyway, out of desperation I took the cables to an electric shop to have them tested and surprise: they both weren't passing

Needless to say the first 15 seconds I was livid, but then I realized that everything was gon' be solved with 10 euros,
not having to return the SSL, not to have to repatch everything.

So happy times!

Thank you all guys for the support, I really think we went thru ALL the possible clocking problem anyone can have with these two
devices smile

47 (edited by vinark 2011-05-30 19:34:31)

Great. rotfl 
It something like data is backed up only if you have (at least) 3 copy´s, cause if you ever need a backup they will have died in pairs.
It´s not caused by a bad cable, until you have tested at least 3 (or after this maybe more).
Don´t you love adat, you can see if there is light coming out at the other end fryingpan
Have fun now!

Vincent, Amsterdam

vinark wrote:

Great. rotfl 
It something like data is backed up only if you have (at least) 3 copy´s, cause if you ever need a backup they will have died in pairs.
It´s not caused by a bad cable, until you have tested at least 3 (or after this maybe more).
Don´t you love adat, you can see if there is light coming out at the other end fryingpan
Have fun now!

Word! big_smile so true about adat I was actually thinking the same thing when I unplugged ALL the toslink cables in one of the test lol
My paranoia about triple backing up hdd now is growing @_@ lol

damn.. Well, it has been a hell of a journey but it was such a relief to see the green light poppin' up at last
again, thanks guys!

D

Cheers!!!  Now - enjoy your rock-solid RME/SSL marriage!  I love mine - still feels like I'm on my honeymoon!!! :-)

Next stop = MADI-ville!!! rotfl   Get you a HDSP MADI and a second Alphalink AX (non-MADI).  You'll save cash on the second Alphalink AX (a UK SSL dealer/repair facility is selling them like crazy for a steal on eBay!), and you can re-sell your 9652 once you find a $500 HDSP MADI card on eBay (one up for sale right now!!!).

cool

2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX