1 (edited by Khazul 2011-05-07 10:36:08)

Topic: UFX problems

Some significant issues with this driver for me - updating to USB Recording RC firmware and from latest release version (ie not a beta).

I have the following systems:
1. Desktop PC running Windows 7/64 - connected to UFX via Firewire.
2. 2011 Macbook Pro 17 - Connected via USB, running OSX 10.6.7 and Bootcamped Windows 7/64.

I leave the firewire connection in place all the time and make use of the USB priority on the UFX by connecting the MBP when needed.

1. Firewire driver update on desktop PC was fine.
2. Driver install fresh on MBP Windows 7 (no previous driver) - caused a blue screen very early in windows restart - restart only possible by unplugging the USB connection. Old firmware was still present.
3. Rebooted to windows 7 on the MBP with UFX disconnected from the MBP - booted OK.
4. Installed the firmware update from MBP windows 7 - that went fine.
5. Rebooted into OSX to update its driver. Driver update cause OSX to hang during its requested restart (waited 5 minutes) - had to force power off the MBP. When it came back, then reported a Component failure with Total Mix FX (I hadnt yet updated it).
6. Just in case, scrabbled round back of racks to disconnect the firewire cable. (never happy when having to do this! wink)
7. Replaced the TotalMixFx.app - tried to run it - same failure.
8. Power cycle the UFX and try TotalMixFx again - still failed.
9. Just in case, tried reinstalling the driver again - restart eventually works this time, but took ages (not as long as last time).
10. TotalMixFx is still failing.
11. Try reboot to MBP Windows (FW is still disconnected, UFX is still powered on and connected to MBP via USB.) TitalMixFX on Windows starts OK and appears to work, audio playback works, but CPU use in DAW seems rediculously high compared with the normal difference between UFX and other audio interfaces that I use.
12. Reboot MBP to windows again - this time with the FW cable connected back to my other PC - Blue screen during boot.

So - this at least isolates the previous dual connect blue screen during boot problem to a very easy to reproduce issue in all recent versions of the windows 64 bit USB driver. I am guessing that when FW is connected, some status value gets returned to the USB driver during initial USB link establishment that the driver isnt happy with and it crashes - check initial link status check code and associated alternate code path, or behaviour around a missing/wrong size device info block perhaps - should be fairly easy to isolate and fix give that information wink

Either way, now that Im sometimes using the MBP in bootcamp windows, this issues has for me evelated from minor annoyance to near show stopper especially as following the crash, windows insists on spending 10 minutes in chkdsk+start repair on next boot - urgent enough for me to consider installing the Windows DDK on my dev box and trying to fix it myself with a binary patch sad

Windows has all latest system updates from Microsoft and Apple.
OSX Has latest updates.
Today's MBP EFI and Bootcamp updates have been applied as well.

Finally, the TotalMixFX crash dump can be found here: http://www.sirwarwick.hostinguk.com/temp/TotalMixFX crash.rtf

If there is any other information I can provide, please let me know.

Re: UFX problems

The TotalMixFX failing hit me, too. Curiously after the first failure I noticed that I had not updated yet and overwrote the Totalmix in Applications, but Totalmix still failed. What i did then was to disconnect the UFX, reboot and then overwrite Totalmix again, now it works.

My guess is that OS X did not overwrite Totalmix the first time because maybe the process was still running hidden. Should have gotten a message about not being writable, but since it works now I could care less.

Khazul, sorry but this (2) is a known issue that has nothing to do with USB recording. You know this as you posted about the problem already in February (and we are thankful for that). The rest is somewhat screwed up it seems, as it does not fail on other systems.

We try to solve this before the final release.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

4 (edited by Khazul 2011-05-06 05:14:21)

Yes - I knew before that the BSOD was caused when both FW and USB were connected to the same windows PC thats all I knew and posted previously - not that it would happen when it was connected to a different PC (fine when OSX is the USB machine and I kind of assumed both drivers might share very similar/same protocol logic within the limits of OS specific stuff - I guess not).

Re the OSX wierdness - you actually mean it has not been reported or perhaps not tested in the same way on other systems. You cant know that it doesnt happen at all.

Anyway - I think timur actually nailed part of what happened on OSX related to TotalMixFx, but thats seprate from why it hung when restarting the first time and TBH relative to previous OSX driver updattes - odd that it took ages the second time - all stuff that to me as a developer raises alarm bells and I would actually want to know about.

I will try to reproduce your setup as good as I can here.

A hint concerning the CHKDSK taking forever. This is caused by Apples sloooow BIOS emulation (EFI), 10 minutes are quite good though (had it run for hours of 2008/09 MBP). There are two ways to make this go faster: 1. Use the Windows Boot CD to run CHKDSK yourself (not that much of a help) or 2. Install the trial of Paragon NTFS and run CHKDSK from OS X Disk Utility.

6 (edited by Khazul 2011-05-06 18:14:45)

Cheers Timur - I have Paragon NTFS v9 (upgraded from v8 yesterday evening).

Oddly - for the first time ever since buying the UFX Im starting to get terrible stalls occasionally in Ableton Live on OSX (Not tried with windows driver for obvious reason) - switching to my NI audio 10 then back to the UFX seems to solve it for a while.

By stall I mean Live suddenly goes into very high CPU use, too high to play audio, then resumes again. Eventually it degraded into continuous distortion when it returned to normal CPU use level. After switching to the audio 10 (in live preferences) then it was fine immediately through the Audio 10 and OK when I switched back to the UFX for a while. Note, I did not exit Live during these switches, it seems that simply closing and reopening the core audio driver did the trick.

As you might ask, I did verify normal audio operation after the last round of round of apple updates, so the only system change between good reliable operation and the current state is installing the RC3 driver, UFX firmware update and updated TotalMixFx. I also left it running on the Audio 10 for 10-15 minutes - no stalls.

Also did try existing and restarting Live - stalls returned after a few minutes and was fine again which switched back to the NI Audio 10 and left it on that. The issue is also present when running Logic Pro 9, though the impact on audio is not as dramatic and recovery is quicker - just a gap rather than distortion as well.

Normal CPU use (activity monitor) in both cases was quite low and evenly spread over the 4 pairs of cores. 

As ever, if there is any further info that would be useful, let me know.

I need to restore reliable function for next week, so am hoping its possible to go back to release driver version?

You first wrote that the latest 155 fixed the stalls for you? Does it stall again now?

PS: I should have gotten a pre-release of NTFS v9 to look into, but was forgotten, so I'm still using v8. Have to take a look at it and write another e-mail.

It installed cleanly, but no - they were back again, so yes - 155 is useless for me as well.

Obviously I didnt test it for long enough and that makes me wonder if I checked for long enough after the very recent Apple update for these MBPs. The NI audio interfaces OTOH have had several hours of clean use since, so they appear to still be working well.

Going to have to try and manually clean up the current driver and go back to the release version and release firmware. The aim of updating ironically was to try some USB recording, so for my pains, this happens and even get balled at for posting my experiences in what I though was the right thread... nice!

9 (edited by Khazul 2011-05-08 13:24:27)

Another update.

Gone back to current release firmware and drivers and so far so good after an hour or so.

I have to ask what I hope is a stupid question - do RME have a Feb 2011 MBP to test on?

Since the problem with using two cables at once seems to be known there are two possible workarounds/solutions I can think off:

1) Disable the Firewire port of your PC via Device-Manager before using the Mac via USB.

2) Put a powered Firewire hub/HD in between the UFX and the PC that enables you to switch it on/off easily, either by putting it within reach or by using some power-outlet remote control.

> I leave the firewire connection in place all the time and make use of the USB priority on the UFX by connecting the MBP when needed.

There might also be a misunderstanding about this 'priority'. When you use FW and switch off your MBP, while the FW LED goes off the unit itself stays on FW. When you boot Mac or Windows, the first driver to load will determine which port is used - the USB port usually is quicker from the OS, there is no priority to boot that first when both are available at the same time! The priority information was a misunderstanding that made its way into the manuals as well.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

12 (edited by Khazul 2011-05-09 10:56:33)

That surely applies only when both are connected to the same computer and that computer is booting. I must admit I was suprised when I fnd this months ago that noone else had hit it when they re-flashed as you need to use USB to reflash. Kind of thing I would have expected to especially be notice in a test lab where RME must be testing FW and reflashing alot, or the test script says unplug everything at the start smile

However I have NEVER assumed the priority to USB came from the OS, I had allways assumed it was code path in the UFX - is USB conected - yes - configure for USB, else if FW connected, configure for FW, else whatever (I never tried it and later plugged something in later - Im guess it does nothing and waits for whatever is connected first).

That to me is the implication of what is written in the manual and that appears to be how the UFX behaves, so in tha respect, manual would seem to be correct?

Still this does not change that the OSX RC3 drivers seems to have issues (with some passing similarity to a past fixed OSX driver issue) regardless of whether FW is connected which was why I posted in the first place. Nor does it change that the windows driver will BSOD in boot on any (same or other) computer when a (at least windows, never tried OSX) computer is connected to the FW port and apparently BSOD on other circumstances as well from another post in the RC3 thread.

Now, if you would put as much energy into acknowleging and reporting these issues internally as you are putting into trying to deflect and ignore them and worse, imply that is somehow my stupidity and/or fault then perhaps life would be easier for us all. Oddly I thought you actually might want to know that the driver install and operation doesnt seem release ready yet.

And yes - stupid me for thinking tha a 100% easily reproducable driver BSOD during boot might actually have some priority as TBH - it looks really really bad never mind the risks to a customer's computer (due to windows reaction to this). I guess we come from different software engineering backgrounds and certainly very diffrent customer relations backgrounds. As for not fialign on other systems, well Timur immediately posted that he had a non-functional TotalMixFx as well.

Something I forgot to mention on the original TotalMixFX update issue - I typically have TotalMixFx permenantly in the dock (ie 'Keep in Dock'). It seems that this can prevent OSX from udating the original file when manually dropping a new version into the applications folder - perhaps this upset the RC3 installer as well. I must admit, I was a little suprised at needing to remove it from the dock as well as delete the original to ensure it was updated.

> trying to deflect and ignore them and worse, imply that is somehow my stupidity and/or fault

HeadScratch  :roll

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Khazul wrote:

Now, if you would put as much energy into acknowleging and reporting these issues internally as you are putting into trying to deflect and ignore them and worse, imply that is somehow my stupidity and/or fault then perhaps life would be easier for us all. Oddly I thought you actually might want to know that the driver install and operation doesnt seem release ready yet.

HeadScratch

Just to mention it:

My earlier supposed workaround of disabling the FW port (or just UFX driver) via device-manager seems to work. I tested this myself with a bootcamped Macbook (FW) and an Acer Windows 7 laptop (USB).

But I found an oddity with how the UFX reports itself via USB when FW is already connected and reported that with screenshots and some detail. I don't see this a a major issue myself, but maybe it can be solved at some point for convenience.

Khazul, here is a new UFX firmware that should solve all your problems. The way of operation has been changed. USB and FW now work exclusively, if one is detected the other is completely shut off until connection is lost. The unit does not need to be reset when changing cables/ports, it will change the port automatically. And of course there are no BSODs anymore. At this time I only have a Mac flash updater for you to try:

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/uf … ac_250.zip

It includes USB 343, DSP 137 and FW 338.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

18 (edited by Khazul 2011-05-29 11:29:40)

Thanks for posting to this thread.
Some question:

1. Will this work with fixed the OSX 150 driver?
I am not sure what is gained here - it stops BSOD - great that means Windows will boots correctly, but you cant connect both at the same time at all which would seem a huge step back condemming anyone with racked machines to forever having to dig around behind the racks to unplug one or the other if they have need to plug into anoher machine to driver the UFX (As per manual regardless of your claimed interpretations to suit your bugs). I can see how this might appear to be a great idea from a programming work around perpective, but pretty much useless when the ability to leave on connected and connect the other as need was (among others) an attractive feature upon which a purchase decision was made.

So it doesnt solve that problem at all. I guess this is where you invoke the fine print about specifications subject to change that stop shafted customers from invoking trade descriptions act etc.

Not impressed - at all!

Should send me a free babyface as compensation I think.

Khazul wrote:

I am not sure what is gained here - it stops BSOD - great that means Windows will boots correctly, but you cant connect both at the same time at all which would seem a huge step back condemming anyone with racked machines to forever having to dig around behind the racks to unplug one or the other if they have need to plug into anoher machine to driver the UFX.

Clearly, the unit can and will not detect the actual physical presence of a USB of FW plug alone...

Did a simple test here just now: Connect UFX to PC with USB and to Mac with FW, both computers running, UFX off. When switching the UFX on, in this case the PC grabs it, TM FX on Mac says disconnected (despite physical FW connection to the Mac).
When the PC is shut down, the UFX changes to FW automatically and TM FX connects.

This is the opposite of your connection, but just goes to show that nothing needs to be unplugged in the back of the unit itself.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

20 (edited by Khazul 2011-05-29 15:28:34)

OK, so your telling me I need to shut computer down instead of leaving them connected?

I appreciate that your are giving time to this, but here a simple question:

Can I leave this connected via FW to a *switched on* PC or MAc Pro, while a Macbook pro is connected to the USB to take over the connection occasionally (even if I have to power cycle the UFX to get it to see the USB connection and use it, though ideally not, but understandable).

The original description of this feature was that USB took precedence which MC tried to change the meaning of when clearly with the exception of the Windows driver BSOD functioned in the way the manual suggested it would and in a way that was useful. It seemed (obviously from a user perspective as I cant see the code) to me the only thing that needed fixing here was the windows driver - not a major change to the behaviour of the firmware.

Please think of this from a user perspective - would you really want to be power on/off computers or have to pull racks out to disconnect? I mean - does that make any sense to you at all as a potential user? Is it really so hard to consider real use in an actual physical studio? Seriously, Im stunned that people who surely have been in and around studios for years should not get this.

I may be the only person so far on this board who has tried to use it this way *and* said so - that doesn't mean there arn't others who like the idea as well. People who have been in here rather like it, though of course I've had to warn them about the windows driver. The reason is simple - we typically have two production/performance machines - a permanently connected main studio workstation and a portable that is useful for taking to other studios and/or live work. As we all *currently* use RME audio interfaces in studio then it works well if the BSOD is fixed and nothing else from a user perspective is changed.

Khazul wrote:

OK, so you're telling me I need to shut computer down instead of leaving them connected?

No, I'm saying that if you do, the change will be automatic without the need to disconnect anything in the back of the UFX.

Can I leave this connected via FW to a *switched on* PC or MAc Pro, while a Macbook pro is connected to the USB to take over the connection occasionally (even if I have to power cycle the UFX to get it to see the USB connection and use it, though ideally not, but understandable).

The UFX is not primarily designed to be connected to more than one computer at a time. That said, Timur has mentioned one workaround, namely disabling FW on the Windows PC. This takes half a minute. To have the PC take over again, you could enable FW and pull the USB plug on the Mac a moment...

Please think of this from a user perspective - would you really want to be power on/off computers or have to pull racks out to disconnect? I mean - does that make any sense to you at all as a potential user? Is it really so hard to consider real use in an actual physical studio? Seriously, Im stunned that people who surely have been in and around studios for years should not get this.

Please think of it from a technical perspective - usually one audio interface connects to one computer. None of this is even remotely possible with most other USB or FW audio devices - not to even mention PCI cards... With the UFX, it is...

But since this is not entirely regular intended use of the UFX to begin with, some minor restrictions (or the need for small workarounds) may apply, even thogh we try to make this work as well as possible.
I have shown that there is no need to "pull out racks" (and yet you still come up with it). It is sufficient to power down the PC, or, apparently, to simply disable the FW port in software.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Khazul wrote:

Can I leave this connected via FW to a *switched on* PC or MAc Pro, while a Macbook pro is connected to the USB to take over the connection occasionally

No you can't. And you should understand that if we build in something like that the next user comes up with this example exactly the other way round. USB connected PC, and FW Mac should take over occasionally (quite logical example with Macs, IMHO).

I am also really disappointed from your comments here. We do not make a living from screwing people, but whatever we do you try to turn it that way.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

No you can't. And you should understand that if we build in something like that the next user comes up with this example exactly the other way round. USB connected PC, and FW Mac should take over occasionally (quite logical example with Macs, IMHO).

This is what I tested, and it can be made to work quite easily...

Regarding "thinking of this from a user perspective"... You have yours, but this may not apply to everyone. Mind that having to take some active steps to make the change is also a saftey precaution.

I would not want to read your comments here if let's say you were working on the PC, and in comes your new studio intern or 9-year old son and switches on the Mac. UFX auto-switches to USB on the Mac, Windows application suddenly loses audio interface and crashes. Since you were so focused on making music, you forgot to save for an hour and lose the most brilliant musical project of your career.... I can vaguely imagine what you (or some other user) would tell us about this auto-switch-to-USB feature after such an experience...
fryingpan

Therefore, why not simply switch off the PC when working on the Mac? Saves energy, too... You could also disconnect Firewire on the PC, but that is never entirely without risk.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

24 (edited by Timur 2011-05-30 20:29:37)

Here are some simple solutions (@Khazul: I think you are overreacting a bit):

1) Get an inexpensive USB switch that allows to connect one USB device to two computers. They come in a variety of ways, some manual, some automatic, some with control software. I think you can find up to 8 port ones. Here is a manual 2 port one:

http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Go-30505-2 … amp;sr=8-1

I own a manual switch myself (other than the one linked above) and it makes an audible "click" when switching, pointing to a relay being used.

2) When you turn on the UFX while both USB and FW are connected (either to different or the same computer) then it will prioritize the USB connection (while both LEDs on the front are lit).

When you send any of your two computers to *sleep* (stand-by) the connection will get lost and the other computer will take over automatically!

On OS X you only have to press ALT-CMD-EJECT to initiate a sleep or use the mouse. On Windows you can either use the mouse (it's even possible to create an icon shortcut) or use WIN -> Cursor-Right -> E.

2b) Since Windows usually takes longer to go to sleep and some PCs don't cut power on the FW port when sent to sleep (or even turned off) the other option is to disable the FW port via Device-Manager.

If you PM me I can send you a simple batchfile that will disable and reenable the FW port with a simple mouse-click on a shortcut. That will break the FW connection for a second and allow the Mac's USB connection to take over without having to use Sleep. Unfortunately I cannot provide that for OS X, since the OS doesn't allow me to disable FW even when nothing is connected.

In any way there is no need to disconnect any cables or shutdown the computers.

MC wrote:

I am also really disappointed from your comments here.

Really? How the hell do you think I feel?

Read back through your comments and especiallyy tone and ask why I am so pissed off and whether I might not be had you not responded in the way you did. Ask if you owe me me as a paying customer a *huge* appology.

Quite honestly Im past giving a damn about dual connectivity - evidently it was a lie and that isnt going to change (sure, marketting spin it all you like - end result is the same) - 'disappointing' if you want to point it that way.

Now do us all a favour - closed/lock this thread because this whole mess is really pissing me off way past the point of desires to commit violence.

Khazul wrote:

Quite honestly Im past giving a damn about dual connectivity - evidently it was a lie

At NO point in manuals or on websites is this dual connectivity being propagated or advertised as a means to easily connect the UFX to or switch between two computers. And still, it will work with some minor effort (a.k.a. safety precaution, see above).

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME