Topic: Best ADAT pres to use with UFX?

Hi, just a quick question. I have a Fireface UFX, just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for an 8 XLR/TRS rack that could sync up via ADAT with my UFX to expand the number of analogue inputs to 20?

Would RME Octamic II do the job?
Any other recommendations given that my budget isn't huge?
I'd mostly just be using it for live recording, running direct outs from the desk

Thanks
- Matt

Re: Best ADAT pres to use with UFX?

Would RME Octamic II do the job?

Yes, the OctaMic II is perfect. Without integrated preamps any ADAT converter can do the job. Even a 2nd UFX or Fireface UC in stand alone mode can expand the number of I/Os.

best regards
Knut

Anyone who has experience with both know if its worth the extra money to go for the RME OctaMic II vs a Focusrite OctaPre MKii?

Thanks,
- Matt

Hi Matt. I once used both togerther, an Octamic 1 and an OctoPre MK2. The preamps of the OctoPre are good but the AD converters are o.k. Octamic 1: Preamps brilliant ant the converters as well. I wish I can afford one ore two of these.

But do you need Mic Preamps if you use the direct outs of your desk? If not you can choose RME ADI8 DS with perfect converters.
best regards
moties

MacPro Quad 2,8; MacBook Pro Dual 2,3; ProTools 10; Logic 9; Fireface UFX; OctaMic D; Quadmic

5 (edited by moties 2011-05-20 08:19:23)

I forget that the Octamic 2 is even better and the power supply is internal.

moties

MacPro Quad 2,8; MacBook Pro Dual 2,3; ProTools 10; Logic 9; Fireface UFX; OctaMic D; Quadmic

Thanks moties, had a look at the ADI8 DS but I think it's a bit outside of my price range, they are another $1000 more expensive than the OctaMic. Think I'll be leaning towards the Octamic over the Focusrite so that I can keep consistency with the UFX; every channel will have the same converter quality. It would be a plus having the mic pres, would make it a bit more versatile as I could use the unit for tracking as well.

- Matt

The Audient ASP008 is pretty good too.

Current: RME UCX II
Previous: Multiface > Fireface 800 > Babyface > Babyface Pro > Babyface Pro FS

Hi rexet

You`re so right. In this price range it`s a matter of taste. If I could afford I would use the Mictasy but I can`t.

... had a look at the ADI8 DS but I think it's a bit outside of my price range, they are another $1000 more expensive than the OctaMic.

Sure it was not the QS? The DS is in the same price range as the OctaMic II.

I think a good and affordable solution - with two preamps - is the Fireface UC. It can work as stand alone ADAT converter and full interface backup solution. The AD/DA conversion is great, the two preamps are comparable to the UFX ones.

best regards
Knut

If your budget allows check out universal audio 4-710D. Why buy more pres with same tone?

This is of course not the best, but I've been successfully using M-Audio Profire 2626 with Fireface UFX together, so I'll just leave a record as a user report.

I connect UFX via USB, and Profire 2626 via firewire, and wordclock from UFX OUT to Profire IN. Then, Profire ADAT OUT to UFX ADAT IN. Firewire driver for Profire 2626 and USB driver for UFX are simultaneously working. Of course, on the DAW side, I have to choose either ASIO driver, but I can change the routing of channels from Profire to UFX in the Profire 2626 driver on the fly.

Do RME plan to release a 8 ch. ADAT device with UFX preamps?

Fireface-UFX, Mac OSX 10.6, Logic 9, BCF2000, AC-7 user, vocalist, live sound recording