Topic: Recording with headphones

Since switching to the Babyface from other audio devices, I can only hear my voice coming through the left channel of my headphones while recording. Would appreciate your help and advice. Thanks.

Re: Recording with headphones

Welcome to the forum.

You are using a mic for your voice? On analog input 1? Is the analog input 1 combined to a stereo pair (together with analog input 2)? If this is the case please set it to mono (click the spanner tool and disable the stereo button) and place your voice with the pan poti in the stereo panorama.

best regards
Knut

Thanks Knut. Yes I am recording with a mike. Apologies for my ignorance but could you please explain "....and place your voice with the pan poti in the stereo panorama" in laymans terms,  and how do you disable the stereo button. Thanks.

This is easy:

1) Open the channel setup of Analog In 1/2 with a click on the little spanner button.
2) The button Stereo should be activated. Click on this button to get two mono channels. You can see two different channels now: AN1 and AN2 (= two mono channels).
3) Double click the Pan knob of your mic channel (AN1) to set it to 0. This will place your mic signal in the middle.

This works like a traditional hardware mixer. Your mic is a mono signal (1 channel). Your final headphone mix is a stereo signal. So you have to use the panorama poti to place the mono signal in the stereo field. Set the knob to 0 (= middle) to get an equal part of the voice signal to the left and the right ear.

For other signals (guitar, percussion) it's a good trick to place such signals more to the left (- 10 ...) or the right (+ 15) to get some depth and structure to a mix.

best regards
Knut

Thanks Knut. Brilliant support!!

6 (edited by Chitty52 2011-06-03 09:50:59)

Appreciate your help two other issues. On my Total Mix screen, directly below the File, Function, Options, Help, there are six rows, marked AN1, AN2, AS 1/2, ADAT 3/4, ADAT 5/6, ADAT 7/8. The adjoining box has 7 rows, with the same headings including a row for PH 3/4. In the first box, 2nd row, directly underneath the faders, I see AN 1/2 across all the rows. When I click on any of these, I get a drop down menu with AN 1/2, PH 3/4, AS 1/2, ADAT 3/4, 5/6, 7/8 and by clicking on any of these, I can change the name. Should I leave these as AN 1/2, or change it to PH 3/4 or anything else.  What does PH mean?

In the settings, under Options, there's a screen with 'Talkback' and 'Listenback'. What inputs should I list - AN 1 or AN 2? Thanks for your help.

This is all described in the manual. Please have also a look on our tutorial videos, like this: http://www.youtube.com/user/RMEAudio#p/ … M23E1Njrc4

What does PH mean?

Phones.

In the settings, under Options, there's a screen with 'Talkback' and 'Listenback'. What inputs should I list - AN 1 or AN 2?

This is for the Talkback via a microphone. If you don´t use this feature to speak to your artists in the recording room let this option disabled.

best regards
Knut

8 (edited by Chitty52 2011-06-04 15:08:36)

Hi! I have a question regarding my monitors. I am not getting any sound on my 2 speakers when I connect to them through the male XLR line outs in the breakout cable. I can only get sound when I use the TRS phone jack. My speakers are M-Audio Studiophile AV40 and they have both TRS and RCA inputs. Thanks for your response.

Is there a signal on the AN 1/2 output in TotalMix? Peakmeters are moving in the Analog 1/2 output channel? Click O-Names in the view options / mixer setup on the right upper setup panel to see if AN 1/2 is assigned to the main output in the Control Room Section.

If there is no signal check the faders of your source input/playback channels if they send a signal to this output.

best regards
Knut

Thank you so much Knut; Finally, I have got sound to my speakers!  Clicking O-names, changes the heading in the column next to it, to either 'Main' or PH 3/4. Which should it be?  Thanks for your advice and suggestions.

O-Names shows that the Phones 3/4 output (TRS phones jack) is assigned to the Main out in the Control Room Section.

The speakers are connected to the XLR outputs = Analog Out 1/2. If you want to have a signal on this channels, click this output in TotalMix (brighter) and create a mix (described above).

best regards
Knut