Topic: PC EXPRESS CARD problems with standby on MacBook Pro (LeoSnow 10.6.7)

I have just bought a PC EXPRESS CARD (HDSPe) to connect it with my Multiface. It work like a charm on my Mac book pro 17" , Leo Snow 10.6.7 but I found that with the latest driver 2.77 it has serious issues with standby. Actually when the Macbook goes standby the card disconects from Multiface (the RED LED starts blinking ) which is normal. When you open the lid again then the card concects again but
a) you have no sound
b) the configuration app (DSP) is not activated
c) In some situations when you in a middle of session with Logic Audio (latest version) the MAC stops responding without any message just the mouse moving but nothing else

Please check it and make an effort for a fix please

best regards Dimitris Varnavopoulos

Re: PC EXPRESS CARD problems with standby on MacBook Pro (LeoSnow 10.6.7)

I doubt that this is limited to the latest driver. The same happens with other notebooks. Sometimes on power-up the EC is not initialized correctly, making it necessary to remove and insert it again. That said you should not use sleep mode with open projects.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I see the only reason that I am asking for fix is that I read from the whatsnew list that the driver fixes that phenomenon but it does not. Any way if it's not only driver what could be? In any situation I am going to save the project all the time and also I will disable the power save will making the job

> I read from the whatsnew list that the driver fixes that phenomenon

Not sure what you mean exactly.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

5 (edited by dvarnav 2011-06-05 16:22:16)

Matthias Hi,

In the readme log RME states

New in Version 2.72

- Bugfix: ExpressCard MIDI driver hangs after standby
- ExpressCard: HDSPe Settings disappeared after standby

that means that you have done something in earlier version for the standby issues of the express card but in 2.77 seems that the setting bug re-appeared

Another bug that appears is that some times my multiface is recognised as RPM or Digiface and I need to reinitialise the card to recognize
it as it actually is.

I hope that helps to understand what I meant when I say that there must be a driver fix.

Which MacBook model/Year is this?

The fixes adress exactly what is mentioned. The Settings don't show up if the card is not working correctly, this has nothing to do with the earlier problem.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I've found the best way to insure that my MBP can sleep without HDSPe issues is to always use the Disconnect function to disconnect the external box. On resume, I connect. Doing this has solved my issues.

And BTW, I never use sleep while I'm using music software. In principle it would be nice to just close the lid on the MBP to sleep and transparently resume, but that doesn't seem to be reliable at the moment.

PC1 = HDSPe PCIe: DF-ADI-8 DS / HDSPe PCIe: MF2
MBP = HDSPe Expresscard: MF1

9 (edited by dvarnav 2011-06-06 06:53:43)

Timur wrote:

Which MacBook model/Year is this?

MacBook pro 2009 2.66mhz

I tested the disconnect and the result is after resuming from standby the HDSPe settings does not appear again to connect So in any case I would not use sleep while using this audio system ... The MIXER just works in any case