1 (edited by flashfromthedark 2011-06-06 17:17:36)

Topic: Multiface giving weak signal out of one channel?

I'm assuming this is a hardware defect, but I wanted to make sure.

I just got a Multiface (branded Nuendo Audiolink) from a reputable eBay seller who said the unit was 100% functional, but Output Channels 1,3,5, and 7 all give a weaker signal, where the other channels sound full and correct.  I switched L and R panning in Totalmix, same channels gave out a weaker signal.  I'm running this with the low-profile PCMCIA on XP.  Could there be something software-related that's causing the problem, or is this for sure a hardware failure?

If it is a hardware failure, what would it cost to repair it?

Re: Multiface giving weak signal out of one channel?

Did you try swapping the cables? Did you notice any discrepancy on the meters in the HDSP Mixer (bottom row)?

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

3 (edited by flashfromthedark 2011-06-06 17:55:44)

Thank you Jeff.

I just tested it by swapping a single cable from Output Channel 1 to Output Channel 2 during a mono WAV.  (Used a bass drum in LM-7 to test the bass response and a basic tone in A1 in Cubase).  Output Channel 1 is noticeably weaker. 

I checked the TotalMix panel and there IS a discrepancy on the lowest strip.  AN 1 reads exactly .41db lower than AN 2 every time I compared them.  Maybe I could correct this issue by balancing the AN levels differently?  Unless of course the problem is more than just volume.

Reset the mixer by holding CTRL and clicking Preset 1 (right side panel). 1/2 dB should not be so noticeable though... If the problem persists after the reset then you may need to send it in for service.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

I did CTRL and clicked Preset 1.  Now the bottom panel does not show the .41db difference.  They both show the same level.  Unfortunately, the sound from Output Channel 1 is still weaker than 2.  I have to drop AN 2 to about -6.6 or -7.0 or so to get both levels to be about the same. 

Do you have any idea how much it would cost to get this repaired?  I paid $310 for this and the PCMCIA card, but figure I could get this from someone else 100% working for around $450 or so.  I would guess it costs a fair amount for RME to repair it.  I wonder if this kind of problem could be repaired by an audio electronics repair expert (something short of replacing an IC).

I can't say, it depends what the problem is. You're sure the cable is plugged in completely? Seems like a bad jack connection (or damaged jack) would unbalance the TRS, producing the 6dB loss.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Before I tested through the other Output Channels, but not the way I'm doing now.  I'll test with the other Output Channels and report back. 

Also, I'm not using a balanced cable.  It's an unbalanced mono instrument cable by Planet Waves (very well- built cable).  Should I only use TRS cables?  I can do that through my Mackie HR824s, just need to set it up with them.  Let me know what you think.