1 (edited by subject101 2010-08-10 18:28:38)

Topic: Fireface UC with external mic preamps

Hi;

I'd like to use my Avalon mic preamps with Fireface UC. If I'm not wrong, I'd have to connect the balanced XLR output of the Avalon to the Fireface UC XLR mic inputs. Will the UC mic preamp affect the Avalon incoming signal? Can I by-pass the UC preamps and use the UC XRL inputs just as line inputs?

If not possible, what RME internal soundcard or usb interface will suit my needs? I just need a couple of balanced XLR inputs but I really don't need preamps. I do need a 24/192 converter and at least one analog output to monitor the signal.

Re: Fireface UC with external mic preamps

Hello,

at 0 dB gain, the incoming signal will not be affected. Alternatively, you could use the line inputs with a TRS cable.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Ok, thanks for the answer Daniel. Will be there any problem if I install Fireface UC and keep my old internal soundcard in the same rig?

Few additional questions/clarifications (newbie with a UC on the way...)

1) I will be using eight external preamps that I'll connect to the UC via TRS cables...will the A/D conversion be of the same quality and noise level using inputs 1-4 as with 5-8 (considering that 1-2 have their own preamps), or should I wire my "best" external preamps to say inputs 5-8? This assumes I set up the drivers correctly :-)

2) In looking to maximize the analog outputs, I'll be tempted to try using 7/8 via a "y" cable splitting the l/r signals and plugging this into (for example) a mixer.  In general this approach can have mixed results...can you suggest any settings that will help this sound the best (or, should I just avoid this?)

Thanks in advance for your help and I'm very excited to move forward with RME and my UC!

Best Regard,

SteveE

Bumping this newbie's questions...thanks for your help!! SteveE

RME Support wrote:

Hello,

at 0 dB gain, the incoming signal will not be affected. Alternatively, you could use the line inputs with a TRS cable.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Hi Daniel.
The signal will not affected but it will pass through 2 preamps. Or, at 0dB gain, the inputs 1 and 2 have internal preamp in bypass function ?
I purchased last week Fifeface Uc and I'm with this question...
Thanks!!

There is no bypass function as such, but at 0 dB, signal remains unaffected... At other settings, only the level changes, the preamps do not add "colour".

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

O.K! Thanks!

Another newbie's question here. I am one step away from purchasing the UC. I would like to know if the 2 UC preamps are of the same design and thus quality compared to those of ff800 . also what if we were to compare with ufx preamps or even micstasy's. Of course I understand that the last two are much more pricier and offer much more than UC, but I just wanted to know if the preamp quality is somewhat compromised on those cheaper units. Thanx

tottispiotis wrote:

Another newbie's question here. I am one step away from purchasing the UC. I would like to know if the 2 UC preamps are of the same design and thus quality compared to those of ff800 . also what if we were to compare with ufx preamps or even micstasy's. Of course I understand that the last two are much more pricier and offer much more than UC, but I just wanted to know if the preamp quality is somewhat compromised on those cheaper units. Thanx

I'd like to know this as well. I've been trying to determine what the differences are between the various pres and converters of the new units (UC, UFX, BabyFace) but I can't really find anything definitive.