Topic: Field recording with FF UC

Hey,

we want to field record with the FF UC in combination with Sony PCM-D50 (Preamps and AD from FF per SPDIF to the recorder). So we need some power supply - lead batteries. Question is: Is the voltage important for the sound or working performance of the card? Will be 12 V make more noise then 24 V for example? Any other tips regarding this topic are appreciated.

With best regards
El Duderino

Re: Field recording with FF UC

I've made testing with a 12Vdc/2ah sealed battery
Works perfectly, with absolute no issues on sound, even better to avoid ground loops in some cases cool
Just cut the power cable from RME after its AC converter to keep the power plug matching that of the FFUC PCB
Then install some of quick connector you like, recommend you an XLR4 by jumping 1-2 and 3-4

HDSP9632, HDSP9652, ADI-8QS, FFUC, Quadmic II

Schubertriad wrote:

I've made testing with a 12Vdc/2ah sealed battery

First, thanks for the info - good to know. Another short question: How long could you work with the card with 2 ah?
My calculations tell me something of 1 Ampere current with 12 V so 2ah would work for 2 hours...

El Duderino wrote:

...My calculations tell me something of 1 Ampere current with 12 V so 2ah would work for 2 hours...

Sorry for the delayed answer, I did not notice your reply
Neither got problems with my RME gear .... rarely coming to the forum :-)

In theory your calculation sounds right but I recommend you to never deeply discharge a sealed VRLA type gel battery, as it would cause internal damage and a foresseable wrong recharge afterwards
I would assume that 75 mn ~ 90mn should be the limit prior to safely stop or change your battery

HDSP9632, HDSP9652, ADI-8QS, FFUC, Quadmic II