Topic: Fireface 800 FW800 problem and very low noise

Hello

I'm a happy RME user, I like my fireface 800 a lot and I suggest this interface every time I can

Unfortunately today I got a problem, I bought it new around 2006 and I never had any problem, but it is a fundamental piece of my home studio and considering I have no money to spend, I'd like to know if I can solve it myself

What happened?

I went to connect my FW cable and noticed a hole and I thought noo... the FW 800 connector has gone inside the Fireface
In fact that's what happened.. the connector has been unsoldered to the main board, probably because after years of plugging and unplugging, it's gone. The FW 800 connector is not connected to the main board anymore, but what made me worry it is a sort of noise/buzz very low in volume very tiny in sound that happened when I noticed the FW800 connector was broken, I noticed because I was very near to the FF, otherwise it was so low I wouldn't notice it.

So I turned off the FF and I've opened it and I found where the FW connector was... I've take it out and closed the FF and powered it on

No more buzz, the unit seems to work fine

So the questions are 2:

1) I know a guy who use the solder very well, it is his job (for 40 years), do you think he can solder it on the main board or it is not possible to solder it or it is possible to damage something? (I mean if I solder it I'm sure I can damage something, that's why I can give it to him)

2) Why that strange low noise? At the moment I noticed that there was connected a FW800 cable and all the analog inputs and 4 analog outputs, one microphone that uses phantom power, but the speakers were not connected and the noise seemed to come from inside the FF box, I was trying to connect a FW 400 cable that I use with another computer (but there wasn't any computer connected to the FW800 cable)

Let me know if something isn't clear or not well explained and if you need more informations

Thank you in advance

Re: Fireface 800 FW800 problem and very low noise

Your technician should check the pads on the PCB for damage first. The better solution would be to use a different socket with additional pins to stabilize the port's housing in the PCB.

If you want to be sure that the unit is ok you should send it in for a check.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Ok, could you pm me how much would it cost?
I've used the unit and works perfectly, so I think it's just the FW800 port

The noise I've heard, my technician says it could be that the FW800 port (that was fallen inside the box) could touch something that made that sort of hum noise, in fact when I've removed the FW800 port and re-powered it on, I had no noise

Thanks for the fast reply, professional as always smile

I've noticed now that even the other FW800 doesn't work, I tried it using the FW400 before, and it works
The broken FW800 is the first one, while the second one is intact but doesn't work too, are they "chained together"?
Meaning, if the first doesn't work, even the second doesn't?

Thanks

Hello, I haven't received any email, could you send me some info via email about sending my fireface? Price and everything I need to know

Thanks

Please contact the shop where you bought the unit or (if you bought it in Italy) our local distributor, Midiware.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Well, honestly I wouldn't have anything to do with Midiware, they are not professional, I've been treated badly in the past with a pair of KRK and with a Duende processing card. I also know many people who have had really bad experiences with them.

Is it possible to send it directly to RME

I bought it from gigasonic.com 5 years ago or so

Thank you

So?

I have exactly the same problem. My first FW800 port suddenly and without being rude with it (Using it a little for traveling, so it had, lets say... 60 connections a lot less than my Macbook Pro) fell inside. I kept using the other FW800 port without problems (other that HAVING to use the FF800 at the end of the FW chain, that's it...), but now it's giving me errors that go away when connected to FW400, so I presume it is half broken too. That and my out 8 that is 6dB less in level. I'm in Spain. ¿where should I send it for repair?
regards

me too, I've used it only in studio, so I've not been rude, it remained pretty much connected all the time, I've opened it and the FW connector is soldered to the PCB, there's nothing that keeps it solidly attached to the case, so probably is normal that after some years it will give up

oh about the out 8, do you have the FF in patchbay? or do you always use the same cable? because -6db loss in the signal usually means one of the pin of your TRS cable is disconnected

11 (edited by gpiccolini 2011-06-09 22:31:40)

mattian wrote:

oh about the out 8, do you have the FF in patchbay? or do you always use the same cable? because -6db loss in the signal usually means one of the pin of your TRS cable is disconnected

I changed cables, but it's an internal problem. Maybe one leg is loose inside. I ask myself if should I connect the iron and start soldering. I do that, but with analog stuff. big_smile

Now I'm looking for someone in Spain up to the job, but I wonder if a factory repair is possible.