Topic: Fireface 400 - extra ins and outs?

Hi,

I have a Fireface 400 and am looking to expand the analogue ins and outs to 16 each.
Is there another RME product that I can plug into the ADAT ports?
Or a recommended quality alternative that works with the Fireface?

I presume it will be something I can simply plugin into the ADAT ports and won't need extra drivers or configuring?
There is the option to buy an extra FF400, but I'm presuming this will be complicated and more expensive than a 'simple' AD/DA to ADAT interface.

Many thanks :-)

Sleeper

2 (edited by vinark 2011-06-13 14:33:33)

Re: Fireface 400 - extra ins and outs?

All RME ADI-8's. I have the ADI8 AE (which is a in little scaled down ADI8 DS  http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_adi_8_ds.php ). Very good sound quality. But not cheap. But all older ADI-8 like the AE the pro etc can be bought relatively cheap second hand and are still very good converters.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

Thanks for the info Vinark.

Yes, I got a similar reply from the UK distributor...

"There are a couple of options that would give you some extra i/o. Depending on what you need you could look at:

- An ADI-8 DS. This is a standalone 8 channel AD/DA unit that would give you additional line level analogue channels.

- Another Fireface 400! You could set it up to run standalone and plug it into the ADAT of your original Fireface. You would have more flexibility than the ADI-8 DS in terms of the internal routing available, plus another couple of mic pres, another headphone output, etc. I think this would be a pretty good choice. All you would need to do is configure the second Fireface on the computer (clock, routing, etc.) and then save the settings to the unit. Once you've done that you can use it as a standalone convertor set up in whatever way you wanted."

Do you know why the ADI-8 DS is twice the price of a FF400 but does less? I'm presuming it still uses the same converters?

So running another Fireface400 standalone, it won't need to be connected via Firewire to anything (PC/Mac or other FF) and won't need to install extra drivers?
I just connect the two via two ADAT-to-ADAT optical leads?
Do I need to sync them (wordclock)?

Many thanks!

:-)

Do you know why the ADI-8 DS is twice the price of a FF400 but does less? I'm presuming it still uses the same converters?

No. The ADI-8 DS provides also conversion to the TDIF format.

So running another Fireface400 standalone, it won't need to be connected via Firewire to anything (PC/Mac or other FF) and won't need to install extra drivers?

No. Even when used as separated interfaces (not as ADAT converter) both Fireface 400 share the same driver. The audio software can use 36 I/O channels from each interface. But this configuration does not work with the Fireface 400 plus a Fireface UC (two drivers: FireWire + USB)!

I just connect the two via two ADAT-to-ADAT optical leads?

Yes. If one is configured as 8-channel ADAT converter it only needs two ADAT cables for 8 channels in both directions.

Do I need to sync them (wordclock)?

It's possible, but not necessary. The word clock signal is transmitted via the ADAT connection.

best regards
Knut

Sleeper wrote:

Much better converters, full stand-alone operation, internal power supply, 8 channels @ 96 kHz via ADAT, TDIF conversion...

Sleeper wrote:

Correct. Only for the initial setup you have to use the computer, flashing the correct clock and TotalMix setup into the unit.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME