Topic: Dumb Question?

Hi everyone.  I'm *very* new to all of this sound tech.  I'm considering purchasing a RayDAT card to run a software mixing console for a very small church.  We'll be using an analog to digital converter with ADAT i/o for the instrument and mic inputs. 

Here is the dumb question:  How does the sound return to the house speakers?  Is there an output on the RayDAT card?  Do I use the outputs on the converter box?  I assume that I need to run the output signal into some sort of amplifier? 

Thanks for humoring me,
rojay

Re: Dumb Question?

Is there an output on the RayDAT card?

No. There is no analog output on the RayDAT. Only digital ones.

Do I use the outputs on the converter box?

Yes. You can use up to eight analog outputs on your ADAT converter. The RayDAT provides 4 x 8 inputs and 4 x 8 outputs with ADAT. So you can use up to 24 output channels if you want to use more than one converter later.

I assume that I need to run the output signal into some sort of amplifier?

Yes. But this depends on your existing speakers. If the church monitoring system already have amplifiers or using active boxes with built-in amplifiers it should work.

best regards
Knut

Thank you Knut!  I feel like a moron.  I build my own computers and create 3D animation for a living, but when it comes to this, I feel as dumb as a brick.

Our current PA system has a built-in amp with two powered outs that connect to two large, unpowered house speakers.  Are you saying that I could (at minimum) run a single XLR out of the converter --> into the PA amp and out --> to the house speakers?

Thank you Knut!  I feel like a moron.  I build my own computers and create 3D animation for a living, but when it comes to this, I feel as dumb as a brick.

You are welcome. I think everybody has to start with something new everyday and with many things I feel the same. Compared to 3D animation audio technology is no rocket science. 

Are you saying that I could (at minimum) run a single XLR out of the converter --> into the PA amp and out --> to the house speakers?

Yes. If you want a simple stereo signal in the end you just need two XLR cables from the ADA8000 to the PA amplifier.

best regards
Knut