Topic: unchecking paths in output and naming channels

I'm using a FF 800 with a MacPro (8 core) DP 7.2, ADAT 1 input is via a Presonus D8, ADAT 1 output is via a Aphex 141. I'm using the SPDIF input on ADAT 2

I'm using SPDIF output for my control monitors (main)

I'm using the physical outputsAnalog 1-8 and ADAT 1-4 in pairs to send  6 submixs to a headphone amp (Presonus HP60)

I'm using virtual outputs from mono bus tracks  in DP as 'stems" - 1+2 for Click, 3-drums, 4-bass, 5-guitar 1, 6-guitar 2, 7-keyboards, and 8-vox which I use to control the headphone mixes (which are purposely in mono)

In the playback 'strip" the outputs are not consistent in how they are checked, but I cannot figure out how to check/uncheck the individual choices- It seems I would want the playback outputs going to ALL the physical outputs being used

as I seem to be having some difficulty getting the desired headphone mix for each player (and i periodically have 5 - 6 players at one time) I'm wondering/suspecting if this is the issue- likewise the input channels checked outputs (?) are very inconsistent

also- is there a hot key for renaming channels or outputs??? right clicking the mouse is hit and miss at best... sometimes it works, other times it's finger exercises!

Re: unchecking paths in output and naming channels

stainless wrote:

In the playback 'strip" the outputs are not consistent in how they are checked, but I cannot figure out how to check/uncheck the individual choices-

I am not quite clear on what the problem is.  I think I understand everything except what you mean by "checked."  Are you seeing signals in each playback channel within Total Mix?  Are you in submix mode? I find it much easier to work this way.  Once in submix mode, you should be able to select whichever outputs (i.e. headphone mix) you want to adjust, then move the faders in the playback row until you get the right mix, then move on to the next output pair and repeat.

it's the outputs in playback- they're not consistent... maybe it doesn't matter... which if so, would make me wonder what purpose is?

Same here - I simply don't understand what you mean with 'the outputs in playback- they're not consistent'.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

stainless wrote:

it's the outputs in playback- they're not consistent... maybe it doesn't matter... which if so, would make me wonder what purpose is?

If you are seriously looking for help you need to be a lot more detailed than this.  I have no idea what you are talking about.

6 (edited by stainless 2011-06-13 15:23:09)

I'm trying to explain as best I can, so forgive me my lapses..

pg 61 in the manual- the software playback fader strips. When I click on the output and the dropdown window opens, showing what I "believe" to be the output paths, moving from channel to channel, the outputs checked are not consistently checked the same.

It seems (and perhaps this is where I'm mistaken) I would want all used outputs (that i have set-up in DP)as they are either

A)- 'stems" for the instrument, or voices

and

B)- master fader sent to SPDIF

AND  the stems are ONLY for the headphone mix,

the individual instrument/vox/MIDI tracks in the DP session have a send assigned to the appropriate aux buss (which is then assigned to an analog output) and the main 'channel strip" output is assigned to the master buss (SPDIF)

my control room mix levels are all set in DP

so (if I'm still making some semblance of sense)

it 'seems' that the software playback outputs for the analog channels should be assigned to all of the hardware analog output being used to route signals to the headphone amp, but not SPDIF... and the software playback output on the SPDIF channels should be routed to the hardware outputs SPDIF ( and I suppose headphones) as I'd want that to be the same as the control room-

any better? (he says crossing his fingers)

What is checked in the 'routing menu' or 'routing window' is exactly what you have routed so far. Did you activate the 'Submix View' in the right control panel of TotalMix? Then all channels will show the same routing destination.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Did you activate the 'Submix View' in the right control panel of TotalMix?

Agreed, use Submix View.  It is *much* easier to work with than the standard view, at least until you better understand how Total Mix works.

I won't be able to look until tonight, but as I recall, I've almost always using the submix view

(didn't want you thinking I wasn't paying attention)

I started from the default tonight and have all 6 sub mixes working correctly and all the outputs (drop down) in playback are checked the same)

still not sure how to check/uncheck... but as it's working, I'm not as concerned

but another question- when I save it as a preset-= I choose one of the 8 buttons except 1 (which is the default)

I seemed to have wiped out my labeling once tonight selecting it  and saving.....

I'll eventually et the hang of this, patch bays, cables, matrix/monitor mixers in the physical realm are just easier for me to ....grasp....  (I know , bad pun)

Stainless,

I think I just figured out what you mean by "check and uncheck."  All the following applies if you are in Submix view.

In the playback row, if you click below the fader you will see a drop down list with all the outputs listed with check marks next to some of them.  You can't make any changes within this drop down list - it is purely a display of current routings. Outputs that have a check mark are those that are getting some signal from the playback channel you are looking at.  For example, say you have playback 1/2 routed to both analog outputs 3/4 and 5/6.  If you click below the fader of playback 1/2 (where you will see the name of the currently selected output channel, e.g. AN 7/8), you will see the drop down list with check marks next to AN 3/4 and AN 5/6.  If you then select output 3/4 and pull the fader for playback 1/2 down to negative infinity you will see the check mark for AN 3/4 is gone. 

I have never found this display to be particularly useful, so never use it.  I suppose it may be helpful for some people, but you may be able to just ignore it.

stainless wrote:

but another question- when I save it as a preset-= I choose one of the 8 buttons except 1 (which is the default)

I seemed to have wiped out my labeling once tonight selecting it  and saving.....

Read up on "snapshots" and "workspaces" in the manual.  Workspaces include things like channel names, while snapshots include fader levels, pan settings etc.  I am still getting my head wrapped around this as well.

neirbod

Thank you- yes! that's what i'm talking about and it clears up why some are the way they are (the drummer hears none of his submix... he's hearing plenty sitting atop the kit

1/2 is the click and as it's not used continuously I suppose it may well account for why it's not on later outputs

ignorance is bliss in this case