Topic: Looking for improved AD/DA conversion

Hello,
I currently have a TC Twin Impact but I am not happy with the sound quality and certainly not with the preamps.
Compared to my Universal Audio and Golden Age the TC preamps are really poor quality.

So, in order to improve the sound I was thinking of connecting an ADI-2 to the TC (via SPDIF or ADAT).

Would this be a good idea or do you recommend another solution?
P.e. replacing the TC with a FF400 or UFX.

Coming to that I have a second Q.
Is there a huge difference in sound quality between the FF400 and the UFX?
I am sure you could measure it or A/B it on the specs but can you hear a difference.

My main objective is to improve the recording sound...the UFX has a lot of nice features (impressed by it) but I would not need them.

Many thx in advance,

Jan

Re: Looking for improved AD/DA conversion

Hi Jan,
The ADI-2 will improve things in general on your TC. If you have the ADI-2 set as clock master it will most likely improve the overall sound of the AD/DA on the TC.
If the 2 Mic pres you have are single channel units then they can both be plugged into the ADI-2 and you can use the TC Ad/mic-pres for general purpose stuff.

The higher quality AD/DA of either the FF400/UC or the FFUFX will make a big difference for those Mic pres you listed.
The other benefits would include powerful routing/mixing, very stable and lower latency driver, excellent tech support and allot of future expansion.
The FFUFX has better AD/DA and Mic-pres than the FF400 but both will be noticeably better sounding than the TC.
So pretty much it will be up to your budget and long term needs as to which setup you go with.

Thanks Chris

Chris Ludwig | ADK Pro Audio
www.adkproaudio.com
https://www.facebook.com/adkmg