Topic: VAIO laptop freezing when using FF400

Hi there.

I've been living a real nightmare since I bought my VAIO laptop in order to use it with my FF400.

It doesn't matter what I do, after 10 minutes (sometimes an hour, it's a bit random) computer freezes and the RME outputs a loud "sample loop" when that happens.

The model is a VPCEA1S1E wich doesn't have a FW port, so I'm using a ST-Lab FW400 expresscard adaptor. It only happens when actually using the FF, it doesn't matter if it's playing, recording, or just using Smaart (the main reason I got the laptop for, and it's really annoing when you're getting paid for a job and your laptop keeps freezing). If the card is just plugged in, and I'm using any software with the internal Realtek card, the computer works fine.

It happened so many times that the hard disk drive finally died, and had to buy a new (and better) one. Now the computer runs faster, but the system is not the one pre-installed on the machine (wich I can't recover any more because the original recovery partition died with the old HDD).

When using the original OS from Sony the issue used to happen less times (even more than 4 hours playing without problems), but eventually happened.

I know there is something different with my system now, cause I had problems with the battery not being recognized as original (although it IS the one that came with the computer) and had to deactivate the Sony battery drivers in order to fix that. Actually taking out the battery helps and makes the "thing" less likely to happen, but does not solve the problem.

Nevertheless I'd like to get an answer from RME different than (it's a Sony problem then, blame them we can't help) because they are not going to do so (I could tell the long story of all the other problems I had with that laptop wich I recommend not to get). I'm wondering wether getting a SIIG card (what solved the problems with my desktop PC before) would make any difference.

Thank you very much for any help I can get. I have to say that I am advicing not to buy any FW card anytime I have the chance. It's a great card and there is nothing better when it works, but when it doesn't (and it happens very often) it's a pain in the ass ...

By the way, it works flawlessly on my girlfriend's ASUS-"crappy"-Z series laptop using the built-in RICOH FW port ...HeadScratch

Thanks a lot in again, and sorry if my english is not so accurate.

Re: VAIO laptop freezing when using FF400

Sounds like some power scheme interruption. Sometimes they power down the express card slot or the pcie buss or even just the firewire port. Would explain the somewhat different behaviour after the reinstall of the OS. See if there is a way to disable all power options, even those of the cpu. Also have a look in the bios.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

Thanks for the answer. The BIOS settings are pretty much "date" and "time", so it won't help. All the possible power settings are set to "never" "do not hibernate" "do not stop" "100%" etc. Unless there are some other than the ones in the control panel.

I think I didn't mention yet, the OS is a Seven Home Premium.

Thanks again.

Use the "High Performance" Windows power-profile. And even then no one can tell if the EC slot of your laptop was implemented properly.