Topic: multiface/pci flash update

Hi,

The flash update (either wdm or previous) crashes with a BSOD ('parity error'). We have a dozen or so multifaces in various types of Dell desktops; i've managed to update a few of them, mostly 'by luck' (repeating the procedure after crashes, using different PC models, using different PCI slots, etc.. it's unclear what is the key factor here).
Is there any flash upgrade procedure that is known to 'always work'?

regards
leon

Re: multiface/pci flash update

The flash is not for the Multiface, but for the card it connects to...

Which driver and fut version are you using here?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Hi,

The multifaces (original and II) connect to HDSP cards, ranging from (iirc) hardware revisions v1.7 to v1.9 (we have various types of multifaces connected to various versions hdsp PCI cards installed in various types of Dell PCs). I'm trying to upgrade from '2.94' drivers (w2dsp_294.zip) to the wdm drivers, using HDSP FUT, Rev 17/55/108/154/207/234 (if that makes sense; there's no rev nr in the filename of the zip). Flash version is typically '53' (although goes back to '50' after failure). I've also tried the older (non-wdm) fut tool, but that gave the same issue.
After (succesful) flashing, i'm upgrading to hdsp_wdm_3085.zip (but that is not relevant i assume).
It seems upgrading on 'older'(/slower') PCs is more likely to succeed than newer models, but have found no fullproof procedure yet.

regards
leon

IMHO you have to apply the driver update first. The latest FUT has never been tested to work (read program the hardware) reliable with a totally outdated (so to say) driver, where the firmware is not designed for, except for downward-compatibility AFTER the flash process.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi,

Thanks for the answers; however, i've tried flashing from a Dell optiplex 755 with the old driver (resulting in a bsod), then moved the pci card to another 755 which already had the new wdm driver, but that also gave a bsod. Moved to an optiplex 620 (older pc model) with new driver, and there it worked.. On the other hand, i've updated a card in the 755 with the old driver (afaik), and, after several tries (bsods) i managed to update a card in the 755 with the new driver as well.
We have updated the flash in the past various times (for the 2.94 drivers)(various='new' boards on different PCs) and never had bsod problems, as far as i can remember..
Btw, the bsod always happens between the 'erasing sector 3' status and the 'programming' status.

regards
leon